Register now to get rid of these ads!

What spare parts / tools do you carry with you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3onthetree, Dec 4, 2009.

1. 3onthetree

3onthetree

I loaded my groceries in my truck the other day and when I went to leave, the motor would crank over but would'nt fire. I popped off the air cleaner and could see the accelerator pump spray fuel as I opened the throttle by hand, so I thought I must not be getting any fire. I checked my wires and connections and everything looked O.K. I really did'nt want to pay a $100 for a tow, so I figured I'd take a gamble and walk down to the Autozone and try a new ignition module. 30 bucks and 15 minutes later I was on my way home, and my ice cream did'nt even get a chance to thaw out.

I rented a car trailer from the local hardware store a few weeks ago and the trailer lights did'nt work. You guessed it, I walked over to the local parts store to buy a test light to get that sorted out.

This got me to thinking, I really need to put a small tool kit and a few spare parts in all my old cars. Aside from the obvious, what do you carry that has helped you out of a jamb over the years as far as tools or spare parts go?
    Help me make a list. maybe we can all benefit from this.

I'll start with this:
    Ignition module / points
    test light
    screwdrivers
    tire plugs / bicycle pump
    plyers
    adjustable wrench

2. squirrel

squirrel

Whatever you have stuff to fix, won't break.

3. trashn'l

trashn'l

Other than the normal assortment of tools:

Extra fuel line
    Fuel filter
    Hose clamps
    Electrical wire and connectors
    Small tube of gasket sealer (like what comes in gasket sets)
    Fan belt if you have an oddball motor
    Needle nose vise grips
    Small roll of duct tape (can be used as electrical tape in pinch)

4. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

plyers, ass, screwdrivers, open and boxes, end wrenchhammer, duck tape, extra fan belt, spare tire, jack, lug wrench

5. Visa and debit card!!!

6. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

cell phone, cash and a .38

7. blackout

blackout

No tools. I like the gun idea, though.

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

This is why I don't carry anything with me.:D

9. fitzee

fitzee

This is so right. been there done that

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one of those six in one screwdrivers in every rig I own. Also I usually have a pair of pliers and the tools to change a fan belt in most of my rigs but I don't usually carry a lot of tools along unless I am on a serious road trip and then only what I might have to use on what I can tackle on the side of the road or in a parts house parking lot. I also carry a test light and or inexpensive multimeter in my rigs.
    And jumper cables.
    When it gets past changing out a waterpump, starter, generator/alternator, Ignition pieces or a carb or fuel pump most guys are probably going to be on the horn finding someone with a shop or car hauler anyhow.
    But with that thought, I think it takes a grand total of five wrenches to swap a clutch and pressure plate in my 48 if the need arises.
    I usually do carry spare fuel filters in my trucks and have in the past carried a spare module in one rig that ate modules. If the old belt is still in fair shape when I pull it off I save it and put it back in the sleeve from the new one and stick it in the stash bag or box. That has got me home or to a parts house more than once and even rescued a buddy when his belt went away and my spare matched his.

Spare bulbs for the lights. I've done a walk around at a food or rest stop more than once and had a bulb out and replaced it then and there. Zip ties to tie things down that might all the sudden decide to want to be where they don't need to be. Wires and hoses under the hood are usually the things that need attention when they decide to get too close to something.

I'm going to get a few rolls of this http://www.rescuetape.com/ One of my boat buds is a dealer for it and several carry it on their boats. It will work to seal up a leaking radiator hose and get a guy in where he can fix it right.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

11. 56butler

56butler
    from Illinois

belts, hoses, screwdrivers, wrenches and carb cleaner

12. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

lap top with the hamb in the favorites..send an SOS...problem solved!!

13. I carry a volt ohmeter in most of my vehicles

on the SBC with carb I usually have a spare fuel pump, learned the hard way on that one

tow rope is nice winter is here:eek:

14. Large and small pliers, couple of screwdrivers, gallon of water, battery filler always kept full, jumper cables, small air compressor and a roll of duct tape. I end up using the jumper cables to help someone out 2-3 times a year and usually put air in someone's tire about once a year. Haven't used the tools on my own vehicles in years. Like squirrel said, since I've got the tools to help myself I won't need 'em.

15. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I never leave home without them:cool:

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Both of my jalopies have 20 inch bias tube type tires. Both have Same generation L6 motors. Both have GM standard trannys, so failed starter or low battery is of no concern at all, push start will do. Elect fuel pump backs up the mechanical.

Tool kit fits both; 3 crescent wrenches, two screwdrivers, pliers, leatherman, set of combination end wrenches. One extra innertube. Emergency(green slime) inflator. Elect fuel pump to back up the mechanical one. Carburetor kit. Complete Distributor. Box of bulbs, fuses, wire, fuel hose (3/16 & 1/4), clamps. Elect and duck tape. Church key. .45 & box of ammo. Tow chain and jump cables.

I've lost all of the coolant twice in the past 30 years. Not a problem, just have to be patient. Let it cool off. Crank up and get it going for about a half a minute, shut it off and coast. Take a break and let it cool off for a half hour. Go again. Repeat until I strike water. It takes a half a day to go ten miles, but that's better than walking.

Can't be prepared for everything. I have only blown one motor on the road since 1955. Punched a hole in the gas tank on a rock in 1964. Punched a hole in the oil pan in 1977. Hole was easy to cobble a patch, but only had one quart of oil along, so that was a long walk.

17. KJSR

KJSR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Cell, AAA, Visa and a 40 S&W