Register now to get rid of these ads!

what size fuel tank for a dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, May 15, 2012.

1. Ricci32

Ricci32

Building a front engine dragster sbc on alcohol what is a good size fuel tank. The car is for nostalgia drags.Thanks

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

IF you are planning on long burnouts and a 1/4 mile run, plan on using about 4 gals of alcohol with a blower motor. Injected unblown will not use much at all.

3. Ricci32

Ricci32

Thanks injected unblown.

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

All depends on the shape and where you are going to mount it. A long skinny tank 10' away from the pump will need to be larger to create enough head pressure to the pump to keep the lines full. Pumps push and compress the fuel, they dont like to draw fuel long distances.A small 3 gal right in front of the pump will work fine

5. LZ

LZ

Hi Ricci:
    Couple things to think about if you dont mind me saying...
    Are you driving the car to the lanes and back to the pits after run? If you are this needs to be thought about as you will be using more fuel. Sometimes a fair amount depending on your track config..
    Think about efficient baffling and venting. Sucks when she dies or spills fuel after a burnout.:rolleyes:
    My friends car we put on a one way valve on outlet to control the fuel slosh pulling fuel from the pump.
    The other thing to think about is the future. Might be OK with a 4 gallon +or- now but what if you want to do some more with it in the future. Or if you want to sell the car. Just sayin.
    Also also......If you have a full body cut a dang hole in it to get to the filler. Pulling the body off is a pain especially if your making rounds and get pressed for time.
    Also also also..:D think about were it will be and the weight. If its out a ways you can pull some ballast out if you needed it.
    Think about your returns. Set them to hit a waterfall shield or such to not aerate or disturb the main charge.
    Post some pics.
    good luck
    Luke

6. Ricci32

Ricci32

7. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

8. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

Ricci I run a 4 gallon tank in mine and never have an issue with running low on fuel . We tow it back after a run but I usually drive it to the lanes to build some heat .

9. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

When my car was injected small block it was a 3.5gal tank. Towed to and from, even with a long burn out and long stage we never ran out. Also 1/8mi vs 1/4 will make a difference.

I have had problems with uncovering the pickup after stopping from the burnout. Keep it full so it will not leave a void around the pickup. Mine has a gate to keep it from moving forward during braking.

One other consideration is how much fuel do you want to have on board if you crash and burn. Carry only what you need and no more.

10. I Drag

I Drag

I also use a 3.5 gal for an injected alcohol BBC. I can drive to the lanes, do a burnout, run, and drive back, the whole thing with no towing. This does, however, use most of the tankful.

11. Ricci32

Ricci32

i Raced dirt mods on alky 40 gal cell for a big race fire was always a concern