Register now to get rid of these ads!

What should NOT be chopped!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billybobdad, May 29, 2008.

1. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Given the popularity of a current thread regarding a 62 chevy and how that model should never be chopped. How about giving your opinion on what car (besides a 62 chevy) should never be chopped and the reason why. That way anybody who does chop one on the list can avoid a serious flame job if they post progress pics:rolleyes:

I'll start.........
    55 to 57 Nomad or Safari. The proportions stock are perfect chopping one is never an improvement.

2. Buzznut

Buzznut

ANY Chevy panel or suburban..in fact, I personally think 55-59 Chevy pickups look stoopid chopped, I cringe everytime I see one.

3. Vorhese

Vorhese

I think chopped 50's trucks look super goofy and unproportional, especially the early Chevys. Just my opinion.

4. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

1940 Ford Coupe
    1935/6 Ford 5 w coupe
    Anything after 1954

5. A Model T coupe.

Yeah, I said it.

JH

6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

hahaha

anything '57 and newer. sometimes 55's and 56's may looke decent, but not very often from what I have seen

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

shoebox coupe... imho... i never like em chopped... sectioned, but not chopped..

and a 62 impala

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Musclecars shouldn't be chopped......and yes, I've seen a few, it ain't pretty...

9. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

And, I'll second it.

10. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

1940 Ford Coupe

11. 49coupe

49coupe

"anything '57 and newer. sometimes 55's and 56's may looke decent, but not very often from what I have seen"

I agree. Most cars newer than '54 don't look right chopped since the lid has been lowered from the factory.

While we're on the topic of chops, when did this trend of "more is better" when it comes to chopping start? Well if a shoebox Ford looks great chopped 3", it will look real bad-ass if we take 6" out of the bitch and make it a fastback. If I look through the "little books" out of the '50s, most of the cars had more tasteful chops than a lot of what I see today (at least to my eyes..)

12. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

A friend of mine had a chopped 69 Camaro. What a wierd bird that was.

13. EL BOZITO

EL BOZITO
    from EAST BAY

the majority of caddys

14. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

MOST cars and trucks should not be chopped.

15. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

67-72 Chevy Trucks...

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

While we're on the topic of chops, when did this trend of "more is better" when it comes to chopping start? Well if a shoebox Ford looks great chopped 3", it will look real bad-ass if we take 6" out of the bitch and make it a fastback.

about the same time hair pomade, rockabilly and dickies pants became a topic of discussion on a HOT ROD forum.

17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

any ford product with a roof built between 1915 and 1959. Especially a '32 3 Window.

what a stupid thread.

18. TexasDart

TexasDart

19. Pretty much any year Corvette looks goofy chopped.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

55-57 chevys, 61 - 64 chevys. any Nova or Camaro.. but now I'm venturing from HAMB territory.

I'm thinking once you get into the late 40's and 50's any more than 4" starts to look too chopped. there prolly are exceptions. that's how i see it anyways.

21. '54 Chevy Tudors.......go ahead and whack the '53's....C9

22. I would have to disagree with you 49ratfink. Brewsir has a pretty sweet looking chopped 57 Chevy wagon. I think the chop on my 50 F 1 looks pretty dam good too. If done right, with an eye to proportion, just about anything can look good with a chop. I think even that 62 could have looked good if it was only a little chop. It would have made it look more like a concept drawing or an artist rendering. The old brochures always seem to look like the top was lower in the drawings. True some people just need to overchop cars why I don't know, but hell its their car. They may not like mine. Shit some people I'll bet think 40 Mercs look better with the stock roof. I don't. Just remember their an ass for every seat even if you don't like the look of the seat the owner probably does

23. drunkrock

drunkrock
    from Long Beach

I agree probably nothing 55' or newer and i also like them TALL T coupes

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm not going to say this is a dumb thread, but it's fundamentally flawed. The question is not what cars should be chopped or not chopped, it's a matter that NO cars should be chopped POORLY.

Vic Edelbrock's chopped (super mild, less than 2") 57 Chevy and D'Agostino's chopped 57 Fairlane are stunning and improved upon by the chop, whereas we can all think of MANY 49-51 Mercs and Shoeboxes that get destroyed by bad chops with dumb proportions and lousy craftsmanship.

The issue with the chopped 62 isn't that he chopped a 62 chevy. It's that he failed miserably at doing the job, and turned a nice solid car into a dumb rat rod. In fact, in the same thread, someone posted a pic of a beautifully whacked 62, and Zocchi's chopped Pontiac. If his workmanship was on the same level as those two cars, he'd have my utmost respect.

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no Winnebego should ever be chopped. Prove I'm wrong!

26. Satinblack

Satinblack

Some cars are worth way more not chopped, poor or not.

58 Impala should not be chopped!

27. lonewolf

lonewolf

37 to 42 willys coupes........ model a coupes into roadsters. and any nice original car....cut up a rusty one

28. Tony

Tony

There's a number i personally don't think should be..but it's not worth going there.
    That being said, i think there's two reasons in chopping a car or truck. One is to enhance the line's of the original, the other is to reduce drag in certain type's of racing, period, nothing else.
    If chopping isn't going to do either of these than i *personally* think it shouldn't be done. That's why i say there's a number i wouldn't..
    My worthless two cents.

Tony

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would have to disagree with you 49ratfink. Brewsir has a pretty sweet looking chopped 57 Chevy wagon.

I stand corrected... 55-57 wagons look good chopped. Nomads too, though I would never cut a Nomad.

30. racemad55

racemad55

deuce & model A vickys!