Register now to get rid of these ads!

What should I use for Custom color for engines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kuztomklaus, May 1, 2012.

1. I was wondering if it's possible to have any color mixed as heat resistant for painting an engine? I'd like to have my 1956 235ci painted in the stock green body color Chevrolet used for their 1956 models. Where can I buy paint like that or can I just use regular paint and it will last?

2. Tony

Tony

I used automotive base/clear urethane on a couple motors i built and never had a problem. Just made sure they were CLEAN and etch primed them first.
    Can't say it was correct, but it worked and still is.

Tony

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Use virtually any paint, it will work. I sprayed epoxy sealer on my '57's 350" engine blok, then sprayed base coat on it...and that's been over twenty years ago, it's still holding and looks good (and has lots of miles on it)...!!!

No need for special paint...

R-

4. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

A friend of mine painted mine a few weeks ago. Used an epoxy primer first then used a color he mixed at his work. Haven't run it yet but I'm sure it'll be fine

Attached Files:

5. BigChief

BigChief

Catalyzed acrylic enamel works just fine on engines. Clean to bare metal, use an etching primer and then lay on the color - no problems ever with this process. The only places it'll discolor are on/around the exhaust ports of certain motors - Pontiac V8s and Ford FEs seem to be the toughest on paint. Even high temp engine paints discolor on these particular motors.

6. BigChief

BigChief

Geez....that was quick.

7. Markgyver

Markgyver

I was told to use a Zinc Chromate primer before you use your base/clear

8. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I used DP epoxy primer under mine, then single stage urethane. Been on there about 10 yrs, still going strong. The biggest issue is to get the bare block CLEAN!!! Nothing will stick if you have grease and grime on it.

9. Thank you very much you guys. I knew that I'd get the answers I needed here!

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I 1K'd the SBC in my '35 and its lasted 6yrs so far but delaminating slightly near the oil pan. With the SBC for my '46 Olds I etch primed it first and then sprayed with 2K, should last a lot longer. Definitely clean everything first and tack rag off to remove any residue for a nice finish that should last.

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Anything catalyzed (urethane, polyurethane, acrylic enamel), avoid lacquer!
    Primer: etch, or epoxy, just enough to cover, don't get it too thick!