Register now to get rid of these ads!

what should i get? model a coupe or 59 edsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Hmm, the cool future hot rod or the bus?? Dude!

Doc.

2. :rolleyes: Fuck I'm slow.

Doc.

3. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Anybody know if the 35 ford wires will bolt on these with out a problem? Or do i need anykind of spacer or wheel support ? I seen something about them but i think there needed only on hydrolic brake drum? Excuse my ignorance

4. iroc409

iroc409

I don't think I'm too old, and I agree with this. 4-door cars were NEVER cool when I was in high school, that's for sure. Sometimes I look at the 4-door '57's thinking I could buy one cheap and they're practical... but I'd so much rather have a 2-door (convertible).

I think the A is a better project... it looks like a very solid starter. Good choice!

5. Model T1

Model T1

The Edsel may be nice. But damned you drove the Model A home and it already looks great! Nice 1931. It would have taken me exactly no time to decide! And keep the cowl lites!
    Besides a little kid can still ride in a Model A.
    Of course I don't know what the new laws are. Mine rode in the rumble seat without seat belts or child seats. Most of them lived!

6. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cant believe its really a difficult choice.

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

A running driving Model A coupe, or a 4 door Edsel?....... seriously?

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Thats a nice lookin model a. Yah the 35 wires will fit just fine. When you go to the later juice brakes youll need the spacers.

9. 2racer

2racer

no sheet, if you have to ask you should get the edsel and somone deserving can get the a!

10. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Trust me i always wanted the a i started selling all my stuff as soon as i heard it was for sale i just am a huge edsel fan as well the only reason i really asked is because of my son but he allready loves the a and im lucky to have it cant wait to get it tagged friday

11. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Has an alternator no plexiglass tho. i was toldim the third owner the first had in sitting in cecilton md for a long time

12. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

yea whats that all about - and you have an edsel wagon project waiting...looks like a nice model a you got there but i cant figure out why you had a hard time making that decision.

13. Model A any day of the week! HRP

14. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Life is full of choices and you made another right decision.

15. Dude you didnt say you already had a wagon. No man needs two edsels

16. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

You made the right choice. I didn't post earlier because I thought you joking about not being able to decide. HUH?

17. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Id love a hopped up b motor but im completly tapped on funds at the moment.

18. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

That's a good choice considering you already have a wagon and a sedan. Good luck

19. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Terrific choice - as a fellow member of the "Edsel-afflicted" I know decent '59 four-door sedans show up for sale constantly (almost as often as '46-'48 Plymouth four-door sedans!), and this forum is full of guys who are glad to build their A 5-windows up from discards that would fit in your glovebox.

But the color scheme? Merry Christmas...:eek:

20. rixrex

rixrex

I always give the same answer..you should have them both!..and a Henry J and a 56 Chevy pickup and a 40 Ford coupe and a....

21. A prewar Ford coupe or a postwar 4-door orphan? Yeah, you made the right choice.

Slap a 32-34 front axle/spindles under her, reverse the front spring eyes, add a T rear spring and drive the heck out of it!

22. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

23. All of the Ford '28 (probably except AR but I am not sure) through '35 wire wheels will go onto the mechanical brake drums without an adapter. The Kelsey bent spokes will also go on without an adapter.

See: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8330045&highlight=stephens#post8330045

Charlie Stephens

24. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

That's the grade you got, BTW.

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Glad to see you made the right choice. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a joke. Sorta like; should I get a blow job or a root canal.

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Personally, I would go with the A-Bone. I'd never thought anyone would consider a Edsel over a Model A coupe. I am not saying it's a bad choice but it's just that I remember how the Edsel was considered a failure for FoMoCo. It was suppose to be the next big thing and it bombed, big time. I remember the all the jokes about the car with the horse collar.
    All I saying is that times have sure changed.

27. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have seen some really cool Edsels customs, its the 4 door thing that is the deal breaker. You did the right thing.

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

There's a reason the Edsel died. I'd pick the Model A. However, I already have a "boat" to cruise.

29. bgaro

bgaro

you dun good. it'll be a hot rod in time, just enjoy the hell out of it. my kids love my A too, there still small enough the three of us can fit......no room for momma:)

30. I'd take the A. But an Edsel custom sounds interesting!