Register now to get rid of these ads!

What should a banger sound like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dropthumbs, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Dropthumbs

Dropthumbs

Gents,
    I have a Model A 31 block bored .100 over, Stromberg 97, Ansen intake, tube headers, Mallory 23 cent /advance dist. set at 8 degrees in advance of TDC. The car runs well, but when it gets up to 2000 rpm or so I hear a "clattering". Is this just valve noise or am I hearing the start of problems? I know that "A''s vibrate like hell, but do they exhibit any special noise or sound that all "A"s have? The exhaust note is very strong and the engine never falters, and although I have .45 jets in the 97, I seem to still have a carbon loading problem. The spark plug electrodes are flat grey, as they are supposed to be, but the rest of the plug head is covered with carbon. I tried to go to .35 jets, but the old girl just refused to go. ANy suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

Chuck in Myrtle Beach

2. tr12

tr12

go onto youtube and type in 1930 model a running.it is a very good video of a compltely origional a four banger running.
    Hope this helps,Troy

3. Wildfire

Wildfire

Wish I knew, but here's a bump for you - post on the monthly banger meet - search "June banger" - you're sure to get an opinion or two.

4. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

5. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Should sound like a sewing machine.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On the mix, you don't want to go far from the .45...do you have an air cleaner? Toss it for now and tune open, then see if AC is any good. Many hotrod aircleaners would be better described as chokes...
    Vibration would mean engine is not balanced, assuming timing and firing order are OK. Many rebuilders do not balance A's, telling the customers "They all vibrate!"
    Check valve clearances, and scrutinize contact area between valve and lifter for partial contact rather than circular...

7. jetmek

jetmek

they sound like a tractor. i think your timing is too far advanced. set the points to open when the timing pin in in the cam detent

8. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

9. They are not as smooth sounding as a sbc, but sound great to us dedicated banger guys. They can make lots of disturbing sounds. Get a wooded dowel about 18'' long or a screw driver and put one end on the motor and stick the other end in your ear. See if you can isolate where the noise is coming from. Watch out for the fan! Only at idle, at speed, on acceleration, deceleration???? An aluminum head is a lot louder than a casts iron one. Go find an old fart that has worked on them for 40 or 50 years and ask for help. Good luck!

10. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

Suggest checking the cam gear before they let go they sometimes sound like the noise you discribed. Pull the side cover see if the cam gear will move forward or backward.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

"but when it gets up to 2000 rpm or so I hear a "clattering"