Register now to get rid of these ads!

What shocks for the rear of a lowered '47 Ford? (stock axle)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jerry_Rolls&Pleats, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

I've lowered the rear of my '47 Ford coupe (it's got the stock drivetrain & axle) using a mono-leaf transversal spring from a mini pickup truck plus long shackles. It's been lowered in total about 8 inches. Now the ride is too bouncy in the rear for my liking. The car still has the stock knee-action shocks. In my opinion they don't operate well anymore because the car has been lowered so much.

What do you suggest I do shock-wise? Is there a way to make the knee-action shocks work? Should I install tube shocks instead, and if so where do I attach them? Is there a bolt-on tube shocks kit for '40s Fords?

2. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

3. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

4. alchemy

alchemy

There is a Ford bracket that bolts to the stock axle used in '47 and '48. You must have an earlier '47?

Or you could make your own. The stock one bolts to the two rearward housing-to-backing-plate bolts and runs downward a couple inches, ending in a shock stud pointing rearward. The top bolts to a stud that has a small standoff, and it bolts to the front face of the spring crossmember.

Or you could get your stock Houdaille shocks rebuilt and they should work fine.

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Back in the days .. like the early '50s ... you could buy a tube shock conversion for these cars.

Every once in a while they show up at the swaps, I have the brackets that bolt to that style rear on my Model A and hand formed top mounts.

They bolt to the 2 front bolts for the backing plate, made of cast steel with a tube shock mount ..... Find a pair of them and yer in Bis ...............:cool:

6. 47bob

47bob

7. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna crawl underneath the car tomorrow and look what can be done.