Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What school to go to?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigjoe21, Jul 19, 2016.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

State Pen , Dead Mans Steam School

2. bigjoe21

bigjoe21
    from arizona

I agree with part of what you responded. When I was doing my research into what school to go to I made sure to look at and take out the private for profit schools. In my opinion there was just too much information leaning towards the idea that they are in it just for the money and the education is not to good. After they were eliminated I focused on 3 main schools, University of Northwestern Ohio, McPherson College and Penn-Foster Community College. McPherson would have been my first choice with its 4 year B.S. degree in Automotive Restoration but due to the length of the program and the schools location I passed. I ended up choosing UNOH since it provided me what I felt was the best overall program/education. It is a private-not-for-profit school that has 6 week sessions and you pay as you go, so it is not like the for profit schools that make you pay up front for it all. Also the school is an accredited university and I will have a degree when I leave here, actually I will have 2.

I thought about the internship route but in the end felt a structured education path was better suited for me. I didn't want to end up working in a shop learning at the whim of my employer. Plus with a family to think about I did not want to move somewhere for an internship not knowing if it would work out.

pat59 likes this.
  3. We were at UNOH last week for Engine Masters Challenge and I have to say I was impressed. The neighborhood kid that has helped me for years in my garage is now a senior and I’m trying to get him to look into UNOH.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I go to the school of hard knocks mostly, but I'm also taking night classes at the local junior college, about 50 bucks a semester, and I'm 60. They encourage working on your own stuff. They have two shops, mechanical and auto body. Most of the mechanical stuff I can do at home but hey, free bondo, I'm in! This is two of the bay doors of the body shop, there are two more. Two paint booths, frame rack, blasting, powder coating, sheet metal tools, welders, on and on. The mechanical shop is just as extensive, dynos, lifts, engine room. Can't beat it. 0928162112.jpg

Late to the Party and Dog_Patch like this.