Register now to get rid of these ads!

what s10 frame for a 39 ford 2 door sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panheadmark, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panheadmark

panheadmark

ok I am kinda new here. I spent over hour seaching the threads for my answer. Has anybody done this? I just bought a descent 40 2 door sedan body but no runing gear. I mean nothing but a body and fenders. will also need hood and grill but very good start. I know from reading there are 3 s1 frame lengths starting at shortest and working up.1 regular cab short bed,2 regular car long bed and 3 extended cab. also ther is 2 blazers 2door and 4 door though from what I read they may not be the best. I need the easyest set up since my shop and tools are limited. I am going to have to purchase a donor might as well be best one.

2. DON'T DO IT!!!
    It is NOT recommended because you will kill the value of the car and do major damage to the body making it fit. There are still plenty of 36-40 Ford frames around and you can often find a complete running gear from someone that is replacing the entire chassis if they are going the street rod route. The after market can supply almost anything to modernize a stock fram with most of it being bolt on. Check with Chassis Engineering in Iowa for what they offer.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ya i would just find a frame i see them quite often. and if you dont want to run the OG suspension they have everything from bolt on to weld on stuff for it. 1935-40 is the same if im remembering correctly.

matt

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I concur with the two previous posters. There are lots of old Ford chassis out there, and if you don't want to pursue the hide and seek necessary for that, there are several vendors that make very nice frames for these cars. I don't know how good (or bad) your body is, but can't imagine it will be enhanced by installation on a S-10 frame.

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Please, No. As above.

6. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

there are plenty of ford frames out there - but sometimes its just economics that make the s 10 appealing. i used an s 10 under a willys pickup and after shortening it 17" it fits great, i dont have to buy spindles, brake kit, rearend, springs, ps steering box,master cyl, booster, i even used pedal assy.
    it boils down to what owner wants.

7. Hell, you can pick up a Street Rodder magazine and get yourself a 1-800-hot-rod frame for these cars in various stages from bare ready for your suspension all the way to ready to add body, motor, and brake fluid and go - why screw around trying to make an S10 frame fit under there? You'll spend twice as much money fabricating and altering things to get it to work. It certainly won't be "easy" or a project for limited space and basic tools.

Sometimes what seems like the easy way out is twice as hard as doing it the right way.

8. RAY With

RAY With

Finding the proper frame will be no problem and when completed will have a better value. To me this would be the fastest way to go and the easiest.

9. panheadmark

panheadmark

well guys ok to put this perspective I do have a shop inside I do have a welder and torch although they are kinda old I have basic fab skills now am I a expert street rod builder? no but I am a diesel mechanic I have built hot rods. I aslo built a couplke of old harleys but I most definatly do not have a ton of cash I mean if could call 1-800 build a rod I would just buy a built rod. so far I have spent 500 bucks I only have a couplre of grand budget so this baby will probley been driven in the rough for awile.so does anybody have any experance puting 1 of these cars on s10 frame? my palns are use a 4.3 automatic truck and keeep the power plant. I would have ps/ good brakes and modern componets.

10. krooser

krooser

It will be much more work putting that body on an S10 than if you found a '39/'40 frame... a LOT more work.... and will drop the value of that car a ton.

Do yourself a favor and keep your eye out for a used frame... should be able to buy one pretty cheap. The last roller I sold I got $200.00 for... they show up here pretty often.

11. If you use an original frame you can do most all of it pretty cheaply with almost all junkyard parts. The S-10 frame won't be worth the trouble and in the end the car won't be worth much either.

12. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

The S-10 Frame !!!!!!

First ingrediant to building the ULTIMATE Abortion !!!

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

You can find an original frame for $200-600 and be miles ahead. Any 35-40 frame will work.

14. 38plymouth

38plymouth

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The S-10 chassis isn't the automatic cureall for every situation and the 40 is one of those situations.
    Under the 39/41 Willys pickups yea beause they are pretty small to begin with.

By now you may have figured out that there are a number of guys here who don't like to see a guy turn what could be a really nice car into a cobbled up piece because he thought he could get away with cutting a few corners.
    As mentioned before, a decent frame that actually fits under the car isn't that expensive and if you do a bit of hunting you might find one that someone has pulled out to put in one of the tricky slicky street rod chassis under the car.

The 47/54 Chev pickup is probably the most popular S-10 swap and most people who do that one don't understand that the very first one that anyone did was done by actually cutting the AD truck cab, fenders and bed down to fit the S-10 chassis.

16. Burny

Burny

"Friends don't let friends F*&%ck up old tin" I think you have alot of friends on here. Don't do it. Get a stock frame and go from there. I have never seen a hot rod riding on an S-10 frame that looks right...just my $.02

17. Well, on $2000 you probably won't even be able to drive it, so maybe you should sell it and buy a running 49-51 Ford or 49-54 Chevy - those you can make do on a low budget. Or sell one of the Harleys and you can buy a lot more car.

The only other option would be to find a rod shop and see if you can buy someone's leftover stock frame and suspension to build from for a cheap price.

I mean if you really want to hack up an S10 frame and try to make it work, great, but for someone who's built rods I don't know how you can miss the most obvious things about trying to use one - a '39 tudor has a 112" wheelbase, so you want the 118" S10 long box chassis and you shorten it by 6 inches. Assuming that it will even fit under the cowl of the Ford without complete new side rails. But that ain't rocket science. It's a lot easier to shorten what's too long than to add material where you don't have any.

But odds are it does need to be reshaped at the cowl to work, which means new side rails, which means no real reason to stick to the S10 except maybe for the track width. You'll need to make all the body mounts, reshape half the floorpan to clear it, and completely re-engineer the way the front clip attaches to the frame - and hope the steering box clears the fenders - to make it work. It's another example of where trying to take the cheap way out costs you way more in time and effort.

I mean, it would probably be easier and just as cheap to build a frame from scratch.

18. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Takes way to much to adapt, find a stocker.

19. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Please don't ruin another old Ford with a shitty S-10 frame. By the sound of things, you've already made up your mind to move ahead and are looking for approval. You will be hard pressed to find it on this site, as you can tell by every single post on this thread.

Don't mean to be a dick, but you will instantly de-value the body you have with an S-10 frame, should you decide to sell it.

20. Everyone's posting about devaluing the body, but it sounds like he doesn't have much invested in it anyways.

What I see is a never finished rolling abortion given up on because it's too damn much work to adapt those frames to that body... which someone else will pick up for a song down the road a few years. By then it will be sold cheap to get it out of the way regardless of what it's worth.

21. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

A '40 Ford is classic and 'traditional' rod material. No matter how good a job you can do, an S-10 frame is going to detract a lot from its value in the estimation of any experienced and knowlegable rodder.
    Any money 'saved' by such a conversion would be far outweighed by the reduction in value of the finished product. Say you do have the skills and are willing to spend as much $$$ as nescessary to finish it off first class- plan on expecting it to end up being worth around 10 grand LESS than if you had stuck with an original frame.
    Your car, your money, your choice. but I'd suggest that if you think you really want one of those S-10 cobble jobs, just sell off that good old unmolested body shell to a rodder who will appriciate it for what it is, and buy one of the many some other klutz has already fucked up.
    That way you can both get it for what it'll be worth already, and help rodding by saving one more good '40 body from being needlessly butchered.
    Seriously, this is not intended as an insult, there are plenty of old bodies out there missing floors, and in such rough shape that doing anything at all with them is an improvement, even setting them on an S-10 (or for that matter a C-10 4x4) chassis makes sense. But when a guy already has a good solid and restorable body to work with, it don't make no sense at all to do a hachet job on it. That shell, if it is solid, is worth half-a-dozen of those pulled out of a river-bank rebuilds.

22. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

hey ya'll.....i sold the car to mark and we were just kicking around ideas that might make it quicker to get the car on the road and start enjoying...it was justa thought and looks like it was the wrong thought according to people i consider experts. that's a little what this thing is about to straighten out people who want to know but don't.
    he called me this morn and said "dude i caused a stink on the hamb".... well now we know. i used the stock frame on mine and i thought it was very simple but he was wanting some upgrades and this seemed the easiest...now we're planning a trip to springfield in a few weeks for the swap meet at the nsra and looking for a stock frame and whatever it takes to get this thing going...it really is a nice body.....
    so again thanks for the experienced advice...

reggie

23. You state that you need the easiest set up because of limited shop tools, well then take the advice of everyone here and find an original frame. Grafting a 40 Ford to an S-10 frame is no easy task, and when you're done you'll hate yourself for what you've done, or were not able to do!!! Please listen to the advice here. I remember in the late 60s and early 70s guys putting 64 & 65 chevelle bodies on 4X4 frames. Think of how many of those Chevelles could be around today if only someone had been able to stop that madness. Bottom line is it's your car to do as you want, but sit back and think about it, if it's the money, then wait till you get more, or go slow, the best part of this hobby is the building, take your time. You'll be glad you did!!!;)

24. 41woodie

41woodie

You seem like a nice enough guy but there are three things you don't do to 35-40 ford. One, you never chop the top. Two, you never sub-frame them and Three you never do a frame swap. You will cut the value of the car by about 2/3rds and you will also burn in hell for all eternity.
    Ok, I'm joking about the "burn in hell" part but I do think you will be much happier modifiying a stock frame.

25. put it on a 4x4 frame you won regret that

26. OK everyone, let's help Reggie and his buddy find a stock frame for this body and get them started. Keep your eyes peeled for a good rust free rolling frame for a decent price for them. I'm sure we can come up with something. The power of the HAMB is amazing.

27. rudy1952

rudy1952

working on a s10 117" under a 37 olds F37 2dr sedan. i started w/ this chassis because of the same wheelbase plus it already has the engine, transmission, rear end, abs brakes, and all wiring harness. i bought a 2002 as i wanted a new model and i bought it for $1200 since was hit in the front with no chassis damage. i have sold lots of parts already that i dont need for $600. it wont be easy but i am sure it come it will ride better that i one i have now which has a mustangII suspension my email is rudy1952@bellsouth.net if youwant some pics

28. captmullette

captmullette

a friend of mine is putting a 40 coupe on a s10 frame ,it has been a nightmare. the only thing he has not cut or re fabbed are the a arms.....

29. I want something for nothing is a very, very common request. Sooner or later with this car stuff $ are going to be involved. Unfortunately the S-10 chassis is like the old time snake oil that magically cures everything. Of course snake oil didn't and neither does an S-10 chassis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.