Register now to get rid of these ads!

What rear stabilizer bar on 40 Ford 8" rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 Flier, Jul 16, 2013.

1. 40 Flier

40 Flier
    from Michigan

Chassis Engineering website states a rear bar is better than a front to prevent body roll, and I've got a lot of that. Have a Maverick 8" housing with wider tires, the CE bar that mounts on the frame behind the axle looks to be within a 1/2" of the sidewalls. I've looked at early Mustang bars but I'm guessing the frame narrows over the axle unlike the 40 which are straight. Narrowed control arms on the front MII aren't the easiest to adapt but I may have no choice.

What rear sway bar works for you?

2. If I was only running one bar, I would want it on the heavy end.

First choice, is 2 bars.

3. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

My experience wih a rear bar added to my 63 Comet, was that the bar picked up the inner rear wheel rather than holding the body down. I took it off. It hurt performance and safety. Maybe a smaller bar would have been less bad?

4. visor

visor
    from Missouri

You may want to consider installing CE's parallel leaf set-up and be done
    with the problem.

5. George/Maine

George/Maine

x2 on the parallel spring install to kit, no problems on my 39 sedan.

6. When I had my 40 sedan I installed the CI sway bars both front and rear,,handled like a slot car. HRP

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I'm guessing he has parallel leafs already. I have CE front and rear on my 40, handles very well. I also installed Meyers narrowed front control arms, easy install. What does that have to do with rear sway bar?

8. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Just get CE sway bar kit.SB-3540R

9. fordor41

fordor41

I installed a CE rear sway bar on my '41 Ford and it handled good but made the ride extremely rough especially on one wheel bumps. It caused the rear to pick up and actually effected the steering. Removed it and 100% better ride and front tracking. My set-up is CE parallel rear spring with one leaf removed.

10. 40 Flier

40 Flier
    from Michigan

Sorry but it was Fatman Fab and not CE recommending rear bars on their site:

"Rear sway bars come standard on all car frames to help control body lean. We seldom use a front sway bar because of the nearly 50/50 weight distribution and good roll center on Mustang II based suspensions. If using a big block motor then one is recommended. Also if you want a G machine that has excellent cornering qualities, then choose this option. Plus, if the mid-life crisis guy with the new Corvette thinks that your old car is no match for his, you will have something for him. Beware; some ride quality suffers to make it handle better. Again this all goes back to what kind of car you are building.
    If using rear disc brakes with coilovers or air ride suspension with either disc or drum, a prostreet style rear sway is required."

I have paralell leafs without any control arms as on Mustang/Maverick. Excessive body roll and unsteady high speed handling. I have the narrow control arms up front so I'd have to get brackets welded on it.

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

on my 39 standard I used stock MII front and a 70 Monte Carlo front bar on the rear. A bigger bar on the rear is supposed to give you over steer but my 195x15 front tires must have given me enough under steer to balance it . Handled the curves in the mountains at stupid speeds excellent.

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I've never heard of adding just a rear bar and suspect it would not work well at all. I do know that the fastest and cheapest way to make any car handle much better is a set of front and rear anti sway bars. You can tune over/under steer using bar diameter and/or bar arm length.

13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

40flier, can you post pictures of your front and rear suspension?

14. Rusty

Rusty

I have Chassis Engineering on front and rear, handles like a dream,