Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what ram-horn exxhaust manifolds for 46 ford,sbc swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodyankee, Jul 21, 2016.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Gathering parts for my 46 ford for this winter to swap my flathead with a traditional looking 283. Will be bolting this together to the original drive train. Which ram horn manifolds will clear the original steering box? Thanks for your input.

2. F&J

F&J

Back in the mid 60s one local 47 was a modified one with a downspout added..other blocked off.

But I think I saw one with 55-56 265 with the outlet up front

hotrodyankee likes this.
  3. deucemac

deucemac

Look for a late '60 ' s driver's side ram horn from a truck or Impala/Caprice. Those manifolds have a turn out for the pipe flange that angles back and misses the stock Ford steering gear. A passenger side is also available to match. Without that turn back the rams horn with hit the steering box. The alternative would be '55-'57 log manifold or aftermarket block huggers.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  4. That was a popular swap way back so I'd say ram horns should fit. Do a mock up of at least the engine and see where the exhaust has room to go.

hotrodyankee likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Dorman has a later passenger side one with the 45* angle from a Chevy truck. I have one on my Ford, ground off a lot of little nubs on it to smooth it out.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I use the straight down ram horn on all mine. They require the pipe to curl around the steering box. No big deal

hotrodyankee likes this.