Register now to get rid of these ads!

What paint do you guys use for engine blocks and heads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Terry, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

I wanna make the 292 six that I'm rebuilding into a real beauty if I can. What would you recommend I use to paint it? In the past I've just gone for some rattle-can, no-name engine enamel and not been too impressed. Does it make any difference?

The block and head are totally stripped down and will go to be acid dipped soon.

I don't have any fancy spray booth - just a compressor, gun and an engine stand.....oh and not too much in the way of skill!

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. Weasel

Weasel

I use Duplicolor high heat engine primer with ceramic part number DE 1612 and then regular paint - either rattle can or automotive paint. Never had a problem.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. Weasel

Weasel

4. henryj429

henryj429

I use the same base/clear that I use on the body. It gives a much better finish and keeps its shine. Rattle can engine paints all dull fairly quickly. I've got 30,000+ miles on a couple engines, with real good results, the only small drawback being a slight yellowing of the clear near the exhaust ports.

5. Snarl

Snarl

I paint my engines the same way I paint the rest of the vehicle. No rattle can anything...

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Bill Hirsch Automotive has good products, either sprayable or brush-able.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

as said above..you dont need no hi-falutin paint to paint an engine..

mine is base coat clear coat..same shit you paint the body with

8. Little Terry

Little Terry

Does it even need to be high-temp stuff or just any regular primer and paint?

9. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Same here...I don't use engine paint anymore. Seems like half the time its flaking before you get the engine in the car.

10. hotflint

hotflint

I use an industrial single stage, great heat resistance, can get it in bright mettallics and is made to be exposed to chemicals.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I would be careful with machined surfaces/bearing journals and acid dipping. I would also worry about getting it out of all of the passages.

Hot tanking yes. There is a difference.

12. Little Terry

Little Terry

^^I'll try hot tanking then, thanks.^^

So to clarify on the paint thing, if I just use a high-build etch primer then a normal cellulose top coat, things will be ok?

Please bear in mind, I have no experience of painting bodywork.

Thanks,
    Mark.

13. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

What I do is grind off any burrs (and, depending on the customer, I may smooth the entire block, but its not necessary), and prime it with a 2k fast build primer. I put this on in a fairly thin coat, just enough to help seal any pores in the engine. I'll lightly scuff it with Scotchbright, then hit it with 2 coats of basecoat. Once that has flashed, I'll go over it with a urethane clear (I don't know if you can even get cellulose here). I have also used a single stage urethane, rather than base/clear, and it works fine. I just don't use single stage much anymore.

14. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I have literally paintes hundreads of engines in BC/CC automotive finish usually dupont but any brand will be fine. That block will never be as hot as a black hood in Havasu.

[​IMG]

15. George

George

I've used PlasiKote with good results. My machine shop guy says the OEM paint comes right off in the hot tank, but PlasiKote is much tougher to get off.

16. Snarl

Snarl

Do not use a high built polyester primer like Featherfill to smooth out the parts. It will start to pop off in chucks after it heat cycles a few times. I found this out the hard way.
    If you want a smooth finish, grind down the casting. Just use a regular coat of urethane or epoxy primer like you would on the body...

17. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

X2 on the Plasti-Kote- I have found it to be superior in durability and color.

18. ol green

ol green

I used POR15 on my 406 chevy, it took alot more work but turned out real nice

I just used duplicolor hi temp primer then paint on the 351w which turned out good with less work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I used a ppg epoxy primer and ppg single stage urethene . its durable as hell looks great plus you can get it in any color you want.

Attached Files:

20. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I used Dupli-Color engine paint on this one. It was hot tanked then i wiped it down with acetone, primed it and painted it.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      337.3 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      382.6 KB
      Views:
  21. In this part of the world, I'm not a paint man by any means.
    I ground flashing and a little more from the cylinder heads and the engine block, wiped all with lacquer thinner, primed with Duplicolor gray engine primer, painted with Valspar Allis Chalmers orange tractor rattle can paint. Duplicolor silver on the oil pan.
    If the paint burns, don't care. If so, will be like one of the tools I used when younger to work, now I'm havin' fun.

22. whid

whid

por15x2.......some slick stuff.........whid

23. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

PPG Concept with Hardener... thats My choice also!!

(but I've got a buddy who swears by One Shot Lettering Enamel)

Larry

24. Nicholson

Nicholson

Epoxy primer and single stage urethanes have worked best for me. I've done a few base clear but the clear always turns yellow.

25. Check out Bill Hirsch Automotive paint. If it is clean, free of oil, dirt etc....they claim you can just spray it on (gun or can) and that's it. I'm going to give it a try.

26. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Same as some of the other guys, PPG (Shopline) single-stage. Usually keep a quart can of semi-gloss black hanging around just for engines and chassis parts. Was planning on spraying some stuff today but don't have the right temp hardener for the weather. Sucks to be me.

I remember seeing an article in either Car Craft or R&C (early 60's) about how to paint engines, probably written by Tex Smith. He was all about painting engine blocks white for some reason. Was that some kinda trend of the day?

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Mark use epoxy primer and then 2 pack paint, nothing comes remotely close to this for finish and durability.

If you want it to look pretty without too much work just scoot the sticky out bits off and round the corners etc etc, the paint will make it look much better, or if you really feeling adventurous you could smooth the block completely like i did, it didn't take as long as you think.

The last shot is epoxy primed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm doing my block White, thats the sort of thing they did back then.

White also hides a lot surprisingly

29. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

acrylic enamel with hardener works fairly will. This roadster has a few thousand miles on it and the only place it burn off is on the exhaust cross over on the intake, not bad.

Attached Files:

30. I cleaned my motor with some wax and grease remover then sprayed it with bulldog. Next I sprayed it with a coat of VHT ceramic primer and finaly base coat and clear.

Attached Files: