Register now to get rid of these ads!

What paint did you use for your engine compart. ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OlSchoolCruizin, Dec 14, 2011.

1. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

I am getting ready to pull my engine and trans to get them rebuilt. While they are out I want to clean up my engine compartment and possibly repaint it. It is currently black and I am going to keep it that way. I don't have an air compressor that can handle spraying paint. What product, if any can i use to get this area looking good? Thanks

2. r8odecay

r8odecay

3. Willy301

Willy301

If you want a hardened paint, they also sell a refillable rattle can. just simply pressurize it from your compressor. Doesn't require a big compressor to fill. You would have to buy the paint and thinner and hardener, mix them accordingly and fill it by the directions.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There are some companies that make a dedicated "chassis black" type of paint that some people use to paint the firewall and fender panels with, but generally, any low luster satin finish paint will give an OEM feel to that area. Some people even use gloss black and that can look great too.

If you are going to use spray cans, Krylon has some satin and gloss blacks that hold up well and lay down nice. If you are using spray equipment the sky is the limit. Besides scuffing and degreasing, you will want to mask off everything you don't want sprayed and take a lot of time doing it. The job will turn out so much nicer. You might even want to shoot a coat of primer on it first to get some adhesion and smoothness. It all depends on how good of a job you are after.

I have an OT fox Mustang that I am going to be painting the engine room on soon and I will use regular Dupont catalyzed enamel, maybe Imron, flattened down slightly.

Don

5. tedster

tedster

I used POR-15 chassis paint on my engine compartment. Eastwood also has an assortment.

6. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

I used SEM trim Black and loved it. Great product. Perfect sheen.

7. hotflint

hotflint

I used Krylon on the fire wall in a gloss black. I had done some body work and used a good rattlecan filler primer over it and some zinc-chromate primer on the bare spots, krylon primer and then my krylon spray paint color. I did the same for the inner fenders and the rad support in a satin finish, it turned out great. I even chipped the firewall installing the engine and i backsanded it and primed it and it looks as good as when I did it. I even got oil and coolant on the firewall and I mixed dishsoap and warm water and sponged it off perfectly clean.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

black engine paint. Has just the right shine to it.

9. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Ive got some great ideas so far. I will definitely be doing as much prep and taping as required. I want it to look good even if it ends up coming out of a spay can. I am using por15 on the engine to keep it that original buick blueish green. Feel free to post pics of your do it yourself engine compartment. Thanks guys.

10. Fenders

Fenders

Yup. Rustoleum rattle cans.

11. In the early 90's I used KRYLON 1613 and 1301 plus their version of Chevy orange on my BBC Chevelle.
    Semi gloss black with a light touch of crystal clear then orange on the block assembly.
    Still looks remarkably good to this day.
    I tried Duplicolor on my Model A last summer That stuff rots!
    Their clone metal flake paint was extremely disappointing too.
    Go with Krylon.

12. lukey

lukey

I just used krylon satin black. Its the primer/paint in one. One coat coverage and looks great.

-LUKEY-

13. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Used OSH primer/satin black for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

14. squirrel

squirrel

painted the firewall the same as the outside of the car, and painted the frame and inner fenders with krylon in a spray can. Since I sandblasted the frame and inner fenders, and I painted it with gloss paint, it has a nice satin finish.

that was 15 years ago, it still looks good enough to get into Hot Rod magazine this month :)

[​IMG]