Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What paint color is this?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by panelbeater138, Apr 6, 2014.

1. 2manymustangs

2manymustangs

I know this is a very old thread, but I thought I would reply for folks that stumble onto this question/thread going forward...

I've been dabbling with custom paints (pearls and candy) for some time and thought I would post up what I have learned from fellow painters that tinker with HOK and customs/flip flops/poly prisms...

For the old original CANDY APPLE color, there was a norm/usual process of using either a GOLD base color for a darker finished paint, and a SILVER base for a much lighter CANDY APPLE color after the CANDY APPLE topcoat is applied.

Since I learned this technique I found out that a close friend uses his own special mix of HOT PINK as a base color before he applies the CANDY APPLE topcoat (he uses only HOK). The CANDY RED happens to be my favorite CANDY color.

Another painter close friend is doing a 71 Vette that was originally a burnt orange color. He has selected a HOT LICKS color that requires several special base layers to get the proper shade/tone with the topcoat that he is using.

I've used black base with layers of frost blue pearl & Sunset Red pearls, its amazing to see the fades out in the sunlight....

My point is that for the ORIGINAL POST, there is countless recipes for these custom colors.

The 49/50 business coupe is my ALL TIME FAVORITE sled, I would trade every one of my old mustangs for the 49 that is pictured in the original post!!!!

2MM