Register now to get rid of these ads!

What outfits supply parts and accessories for 47-55 Chevy trucks???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by REVEREND JAKE, May 20, 2006.

1. We bought a 1950 panel for the shop where I work. It's going to be the "shop truck" to take to shows to showcase their product. I need to find suppliers for odds and ends for the build.

I also need to find some info on panel options of this era. We want to make this thing "look just like 1950" as my boss put it.

I've been to stovebolt.com and I ordered at catalog from LMC, but that's as far as I have gotten.

Thanks,
    Reverend Jake

2. gasman

gasman
    from Nebraska

chevy duty has some of the best prices for parts for these trucks, much cheaper than lmc 800-741-1678 to get their catalog

3. That's a start. Thank You.

Reverend Jake

4. DrJ

DrJ

5. j-dogg

j-dogg

I've had good luck with Brothers Truck, and if you need a drop axle Worm is the man.:D

6. These folks seem to offer a lotta parts for the early chevy trucks. HRP

Attached Files:

7. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Cheaper isn't always better. I've bought from ChevyDuty and likely never will again.

American Classic is good. Jim Carter has lots of stuff. Of the ones already mentioned I prefer LMC.

Classic Performance Products has good stuff. Pick up a copy of any of the classic truck magazines and you'll find lots of venders advertizing, and most of them can provide basically the same products. If price is king ChevyDuty is often the cheapest (they've recently changed names and I don't recall the new name) if service is important you'll choose LMC.

You will also find stuff advertized in the swap meet area on Stovebolt.com and OldGMCtrucks.com where you'll find stuff that can't be bought new.

8. Thanks Fellas. Price is not going to be much of a hinderance on the build up of this truck. He just wants to do it correct. Of course we do want to save money if it IS possible.

OldSub, it's funny I was just at your site last nite!!!

I will pick up a Classic Trucks magazine for sure. As soon as that was said I was like "DOH!, I knew that."

On web searches I don't have much luck, because the search engine has such a broad scope. If I look up "chevy panel" I'm most likely to find sheet metal parts for just about everything under the sun. "1st series" only comes up with a few leads.

I know I usually have best luck talking with people who have already ordered stuff for their own vehicles.

Does anyone have phone numbers to order a catalog?

Thanks again,
    Reverend Jake

9. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Sheet metal parts fall into three catagories.

1) Same as found on pickups. That's basically everything from the cowl forward, the doors and the floor ahead of the seat.

2) Stuff made by a guy named Ray Stanley. You'll find him on the OldGMCTrucks site.

3) Stuff you'll have to find in usuable condition or make yourself.

Much of the sheet metal stuff is the same on Suburbans and Canopy Expresses as Panels, so broaden your search to include those. Also things like the lower panel ahead of the rear fenders can be replaced using lower door skins, which are readily available.

And GMCs of the era are almost identical to the Chevys. Hood and grill are different, and the instruments are different, though interchangable before '54. Some of the trim is different.

I have two panels and two Suburbans, all trying to get enough pieces to fix one Suburban. I'll be dragging more home before I'm done.

10. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

I bought lots of parts from Chevys of the '40s for my '49. I was very happy with their quality and price.

Chris

11. WOW!!! So finding the fender trim really must be as "non-existant" as I hear.

This truck is primarily rust free. The rust I have found is the running boards and lower cowl/door area. Not much to speak of.

Did panel trucks come with bucket seats???

Thanks for the info guys.

Reverend Jake

12. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Panel trucks came with a bucket seat. The second was an option. I have an original set in one of mine, but they are sold as soon as I get them out.

That stainless fender trim isn't hard to come by if you don't mind paying more than $1000 for it. It shows up on eBay often, but not cheap. I thought about buying a cheap panel a few months ago because it had the trim, but I've never been good at repairing it and every stick looked totaled to me.

13. Yeah, I heard that trim was HIGH DOLLAR. The boss is probably just gonna have me weld up the holes and make it look like pickup fenders. BUT, if there is some damaged trim available, there is a good trim repair man here in Tulsa. How much do you think the damaged trim would be?

We have the buckets in the panel. It has dealer installed turn signals too.

Your info is certainly appreciated OldSub!

Reverend Jake