Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What offer would you make

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Jan 14, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

Found a pair of tbird bucket seats on Facebook with no price. A pretty cracked and some tears, but look solid. Screenshot_20200114-103733.jpeg Screenshot_20200114-104125.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd say not too much. They look beat. Springs any good? Water damage?
    Never start the price (negotiating) as a buyer. Make the seller set an asking price and go (down in price) from there.
    A few good comebacks if they say "Make me a good offer" and won't state a price:

"So then...it's an auction?"

"I have no idea. You're selling it. You must have some idea what you want for it?"

"I can't sell it and buy it."

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. badvolvo

badvolvo

I have some 65 or so T-bird seats in similar condition. I looked into using them, but the cost to fix up with new pads, and upholstery, forced me to put them on the shelf. Awesome chrome trim on them, would have looked great, but the high cost went into the engine instead. If you were closer, I'd give them to you for a HAMB car. Located outside of Kansas City.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I bought a set like that and the back seat and console all kinda rough. For $200. I took some parts I needed, mostly trim . I , too, would give the rest of the seats to anyone that will come pick them up. Solid springs.

Bones

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd pass on those T Bird seats. Lots of better choices out there.

Hnstray, lo c dan and olscrounger like this.
  7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Bucket seats have gone stupid prices for the old stuff lately.It wouldnt surprise me if they expect 400$. Id be thinking 100 150$ tops and that's why im still riding 60 year old bench seats.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners and bchctybob like this.
  8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Keep looking, there are better ones out there.

9. topher5150

topher5150

I'm not looking for perfect. If I can get them cleaned up nice, and they're halfway comfy...

I'm not to fussy about what car they came out of, or if they're bucket or bench. I would like to stay away from the van seats if I can. What are some options for a 46-48 Ford coupe?

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I would not buy them at all. Save up more dough and buy a pair in better condition.
    Will be cheaper in the long run.

5window, Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. For me, no more than a hundred bucks. That style isn't that popular so there probably isn't a lot of people driving the price up on them.

Texas57 and guthriesmith like this.
  12. Take note of the two cool options on these seats:

Passenger seat folds almost flat and has the head rest built in.

...and the drivers seat looks like it has the optional 6 way power.

Both of these are worth good money: I sold a functional power base for $250 (Canadian, so about $175 US), and one of those optional seat backs for another $200.

Also: you can buy new upholstery for these in many different patterns from various years of t-bird and Ford Galaxy (though I'm not sure the galaxies had the optional head rest).

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

I'd pass since drivers is power

lo c dan likes this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’d offer $100-$200 for ‘em but you’ll be into them for close to $1000 if you buy new foam, covers and have the stuff installed. If they are leather, you may be able to just re-stuff them and treat the leather.
    Thanks to the stupid money flying around for muscle cars these days (especially Chevelles, Camaros and stuff) the prices of early bucket seats has skyrocketed. I recently listed a set of rusty, torn up ‘69 Chevelle buckets for $350, got a dozen calls and sold them the first day. I don’t think T-bird buckets are nearly as crazy as the GM stuff, yet.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. To be perfectly honest they look pretty rough, I would keep looking. HRP

5window, Texas57, ct1932ford and 2 others like this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what year are they from? - not from early 60's Bird - look online for upholstery kit $$ - finding correct foam not easy - replacement seat motor $$ - should find complete set with front & rear matching - in my '47 Ford Coupe used front & rear seats out of 80's two door Ford Tempo - not easy to find now

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  17. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

If they don't name a price, start ridiculously low. You can always go up but you can never go down. I'd offer him twenty bucks and see what he says.

I was at an auto parts store and I heard that they had a bunch of old inventory in the shed behind the back of the store. The manager brought me back there and showed it to me and it was all NOS Mopar stuff from the forties. It turns out the place used to be a Chrysler Plymouth dealer or something. I asked him what he wanted for it, he told me to make an offer. We went back and forth with nobody namung a price for a while and I was afraid of insulting him, so I said how about a couple hundred bucks. He looked at me dumbfoundead and said he was thinking more like $15. That's a hard one to negotiate your way out of.

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s why I like swap meets that don’t price things. Many times, I have spotted something with no price on it and ask what the seller wants for it, he states a price 1/4 of what I was thinking! Sometimes he states a price 4 times what I was thinking! If he would have advertised the cheap price, it would have been gone before I got there! I usually go to swap meets with two or three things in mind and look for them, largely ignoring other items, unless I see something priced real low. So , if I see something I’m looking for, I’ll ask!

Bones

harpo1313 likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The power seat is very, very heavy. They do look traditional compared to lots of other seats out there. Sometimes spending a little more on something unique is worth it.

bchctybob and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. topher5150

topher5150

You weren't kidding about the price to reupholster them....Holy cow!!!!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. badvolvo

badvolvo

And not too comfy either. I could handle the upholstery, but they need new foam as well.

5window and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. I agree with HRP:eek: Seriously, I think $50 is all the money.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. I would pass on those... rough

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

never ever price another mans inventory

5window and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. They look pretty rough to me. Like others have said "These shoes are made for walkin ." Look @ the auction site or scrap yards. You never stated what you are putting them in. I found some nice chevy cloth bucket seats that just needed cleaned &
    electric in a wrecking yard from a Late S-10 SUV for around $100 for my Nisson 4X4 & almost a perfect fit.

26. I have a 67 bird with black leather seats & console. I was thinking of asking a $1000 for both buckets the console and rear seat.

27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Since you can use other types of seats and aren't in need of that particular kind of seat......I'd wait till they have been on Craigslist near the thirty days and if they haven't sold, give the guy a call. Ask what he wants and you will quickly see whether he thinks he is selling antiques or just old stuff. If he wants antique prices thats the end of it. If he says a $100 or less, go take a look. Once you are there, money talks. Then offer $50.
    I found the best place to buy seats was the local pull-a-part. They had a price for seats based on whether they were leather or cloth. Think I gave $100 for a set of PT Cruiser leather seats in perfect condition. Most of the interiors in junkyard cars end up being ruined and never sold. A walk thru the larger yards will often find several nice sets of seats that don't need recovering. That said, there is a local guy who must have an inside with some of the junkyards because he always has "perfect" seats and consoles out of late models. He usually wants $600-$1500 for them.

28. More T-Birds out there - THAN WILL EVER - see the road again.....buy accordingly.......

29. 1pickup

1pickup

For those who say the "style isn't popular", or to use "PT Cruiser" seats, or "Late S10 SUV" seats, what the fuck are you doing on this forum? Those are '66 T-bird seats. A traditional upgrade for your hot rod or custom car since they were introduced. Yes, it might cost a little more, but so does a flathead & a hemi. Do you want cool, or do you want cheap? The fronts & rear fit great in a '49 Merc (ask me how I know) & I've seen those buckets in countless other makes & models. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. Go back to your sbc crate motored red plastic deuce & start polishing. This was posted after 5 PBRs.