Register now to get rid of these ads!

what newer rods/customs will stand the test of time???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Apr 8, 2009.

1. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

You got your Roth cars, your Winfield cars, Starbird cars, Alexander brothers cars, Barris cars etc... they're cars have been around since the beginning. What rods or customs being built these days do you think will still be around in 40 or 50 years???

2. fuel

fuel

Rods and Customs that are iconic and will stand the test of time:

The Kirk Hammett '36 Ford 3W Coupe built by Cole Foster.

Several of John D'Augostino's customs built by Oz Welch.

The Purple People Eater by the Izardi brothers (?)

The Atomic Punk by Aaron Grote

Wade Model A Coupe by Brian Bass

3. TimDavis

TimDavis

Shouldn't they be complete before branding them "iconic"?

4. 62rebel

62rebel

think about it for a second; so many good customs and rods got redone every season or two "back in the day" to make new show seasons, that it didn't take too long before some really nice 1st versions got hacked all to shit to follow a new trend. today's "icons" don't get treated that way for the most part; mainly because for 50-plus years the builders were figuring out "The Formula" for what makes a car an icon, and now you pick a car, pick an era, and start searching for parts to make it real. (or make them from scratch, if what you want just ain't made)
    i'm too "traditional" to embrace too much modern shit; i suppose it has to do with pushing Audi parts all day. build me a 3w coupe with a 239 8CM and Offy heads, no fenders, and a SCoT blower topped with a couple '94's and big-n-littles and i call that a "Forever Cool" car. but when i look at Trepaniers' "Sniper" all i see is Mercedes headlights that just don't fit right.
    the Hirohata Merc, Doane Spencers' deuce, to me those are the true icons.

5. fuel

fuel

You are right. I am just making a prediction on that one. If everything else goes like the chassis has, then I will be correct. We'll see when it is done, but I'd bet $ I am right.

Personally, coming from a fabricator's POV, it blew me away.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

7. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Holy smoke. Who's car is that? Do you have anymore pics? That paint, interior color combo is perfect.

8. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

good ones, cant forget Moriarty

9. Oh hell yes.....

Plus....

[​IMG]

and.....
    [​IMG]

and very possibly.....
    [​IMG]

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Quite a bit of Roy Brizio's work is likely to still look good in a couple of decades.

11. helmsville

helmsville

yes yes and more yes for Troy!

12. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Let's not forget about OZ's Caddy. Actually there is not a car built by him that I didn't love.

13. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I nominate Nadine

Attached Files:

14. racemad55

racemad55

ROLLINGBONES builds!

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think most high dollar cars stand a better chance today. But, it's always interesting to see cars that were survivors found in the oddest of places, i.e., Mexican sex shops, eBay (thinking of that rare mopar), and who knows where else.

In forty years the Atomic Punk may be found at a sex shop... odd thing is, it might be because Aaron drove it there! :D

16. RAY With

RAY With

Rolling bones are here to stay for sure and maintain traditional builds.

17. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

lets not forget Mark Mortons merc!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Have to agree,,to be a future 'icon" I would think there would need to be a new kinda way of building it.

to copy a past style ,,you already have a frame work for the car,,where in when it was built it was new ideas

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cars built from the same era cars or more modern or current starting points? There are some great cars built my HAMB members that would rival any of the above cars if built "Back in the Day".

20. There are so many "older" hot rods and customs that are iconic, but different ones fit the bill for different people. Some people like Dali while others prefer Rembrandt. It's art, it's an opinion. One of my all time favorites is the La Mesa Deuce. Most of you wouldn't even have it on your list.
    The same will happen with the new "artists." Some people will look at their "art work" as iconic and some won't look at it.
    But then there are the Doane Spencer Deuces, both iconic, one old, one new.