Register now to get rid of these ads!

what motor? flathead or hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powergiant, Oct 13, 2008.

1. powergiant

powergiant

With my busy life, I'll probably only build one hot rod so i've got to decide which motor to run. I'm building a 31 model a coupe on 32 rails with original dropped axle, 40 juice brakes, 41 banjo rea end, f1 pedal assy and 600/750's on 35 ford 16" spoke wheels and a flathead v8 with 39 3 spd. forty's style hot rod......or i'll change the rear axle for a 57-59 ranchero 9", run 15" steel wheels with cheater slicks and a '56 fireflite hemi with a 4spd, 50's style hot rod.
    I always like the look of the flathead but i'm afraid it might be a little under powered for this area, pretty much have to drive the freeways to go anywhere. Anybody running a flathead wish they went another route? Anybody running a hemi wish they were running a flathead?

Attached Files:

2. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

Why not Panhead powered? Be REALLY different!! :D:D:D

3. - Aj -

- Aj -

You suck. :p

I don't have any of that and you have your choice!

4. jj mack

jj mack

Use the flathead....send me the hemi!!!!!!!!!!

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Flathead won't be underpowered necessarily...I'd consider a T5 behind it - will really wake it up.

6. flathead48

flathead48

I love flatheads, but if I had a Hemi at my disposal I would run that no questions asked. You can't beat the power of the Hemi, or the sound of the flatty. Either way you can't lose. One thing you HAVE to do is run a stick. Don't bitch out for an auto, otherwise you could just run a 350/350 with all the other one legged wonders.:D Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck man. Can't wait to see pics of it finished.

7. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

I wish my problems were this complicated. Sell the hemi, buy a supercharger for the flattie, buy bunch of booze, invite your freinds for the install. hire a stripper with the rest of the cash.

8. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Use the Flat Head and send me the Hemi, I'll pay the transportation.

9. skwurl

skwurl

Yea panhead powered soumds cooll. I'll trade ya one for thee Hemi and flathead.

10. skwurl

skwurl

Oh go with the hemi. they are way cool

11. banjorear

banjorear

I'm a die hard flathead guy but I'd have to agree. Plus, it's a DeSoto which raises the coolness factor by 10 in my book.

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

blow the flattie

13. BurtDiesel

BurtDiesel
    from CT

Man I wish I had his problems. I vote flathead...second/third/four the blower.

14. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Damn skwurl....considering complete pans are going for more than hemi's now I'll gladly send ya one for a decent pan!

I'll stop hijacking and get back to the question posted. The flatty will be pretty responsive with a T5. Still won't break the sound barrier but it will have the power you need around town and on the highways. I would go the hemi route for a car to flog and the flatty for a "driver".

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Two sets of motor mounts.

Removable, exchangable x-member.

Run both.

16. RFH1931

RFH1931

Hemi for sure.:D

17. power58

power58

I vote Hemi, Great it's a Desoto to boot. Looks like a 4BBL. is it a 330 cube ?

18. looks like he already has a panhead , damn dude ! decisions decisions..

19. skwurl

skwurl

I didnt say descent pan. And it was for both of the motors pictured. I didnt blow it up till just now. Looks like he's got a pan already. SHOWOFF!

20. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

You can run the flathead to blend in. I will run the hemi and stand out.

21. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

I love them both, my next one will be a flatty, but I say rock the Hemi! Of course, Im biased.......:D

Attached Files:

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Next one?:confused: Damn dude, the paint ain't even dry yet! Wait, there is no paint...

23. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

there's nothing like a good flathead with a 6 speed and a nice low gear for the track

24. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Put the hemi in it. You will have more fun.

25. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got a 354 Hemi sitting on the floor and plan to use it in my '30 roadster on '32 rails. I just never got into the Flathead thing, Bangers YES but the Flathead just never grabbed me. I think the HEMI is lighter. :rolleyes:

27. powergiant

powergiant

it is a 56 330 s24 block, makes it a factory 4 barrel fire flite.

28. I am a fan of the HEMI w/tri/97's. Hooked up to a T-5 and small glass packs behind the new Sanderson short headers it has the balls to pull a light and overdrive gear for the freeway.

Running 8.20-15s in the rear I get 60 mph @ 1200 rpm. Not sure what the rear ratio is, but it must be pretty tall. But with all that torque you can break loose the rear end whenever you want.

My problem is in Key West the Island speed limit is 45 max. Have to leave town to open her up.

Good luck
    Bill

Attached Files:

29. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I would only comment on how I would set up my ride.I have a 330 desoto and 32 also, if i use the flatty I will use the early driveline. If i go the Desoto I will use the 9" and 4 speed, or a 350 turbo. I am not going to race it but i would like to have a stout driveline and smooth motor. will use it for cruising long, or short distances. Automatic with tall gear is all i would need nothin trick. Hemi in a duece makes its own statement.

30. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

OK, honestly, it depends on what you want, a little more "get up and go", plus neat factor, or a little less "get up and go" plus neat factor.
    I am coming down the home stretch with AV8 Coupe and if I could build ANOTHER ONE (and still keep my AV8 Blower Coupe), it would be with a Hemi.
    But, I would go with the 9" in either case, more reliable and stronger..................if you do put a flatty in and sometime decide to add some "serious HP", you won't have to worry about the weak link being the torque tube and banjo..............IMHO

Attached Files: