Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Modification Do You Regret?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tommy R, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Tommy R

Tommy R

Hey y'all,

I was thinking the other day about some of the radical alterations we make to our cars in order to make them match the vision in our heads. Chops, channeling, radical cams, custom bodywork, outrageous exhausts, etc...

What did you do to your hot rod or kustom that you wish you hadn't? Was the 5.13 gear too steep? Did the flamethrowers burn your paint? Was the chop too low or channel too deep? Did the new bodywork visually miss the mark? Or maybe the compression was too high for pump gas?

Let's hear your stories! What did you do? Why'd you regret it? And did you do anything to "fix" it? Pics are always appreciated.

And no, selling your car doesn't count!! We've all suffered that regret... ;)

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The choice of using an original A chassis under my 28 A RPU, why, OH WHY didnt I go for a 32 frame??????????

Doc.

3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I would image a lot of Pro Street guys wish they could re-install the original wheel housings. I know a guy that has a 33 Glass Vicky that looks way stupid with those big meats on it. He's asked me several times to buy it and I don't have the heart to tell him I think it sucks, a lot of work to change it back to skinny tires

4. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Regrets, I had a few.

I regret putting full length headers, 3" pipes, and Flowmasters on my former street car, a '69 Torino. It sounded great for the first 5 minutes. Then stuck in traffic for an hour, day after day --I wanted to blow my head off!

5. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

I will never shave another set of door handles on a vehicle I have to drive fairly often. You only have to be stuck on the outside of your car a couple times before you start to kick yourself in the ass for tossing a perfectly good pair of door handles in the scrap bin. I don't care if it is a full custom, it will still have door handles...

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I put a Pete Jackson gear drive on a sbc (37 Ford). It was really neat for about 2 hours. After that, it sucked. Stu

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Did you have turndowns after the mufflers or exhaust all the way out the back?

I have a similar exhaust set up that was obnoxious. A fellow on here suggested adding 18 inches of pipe after the mufflers. I did it and it is an entirely different sounding beast now. No drone and is fairly quiet at cruise speed, but still bellows when you plant the right foot.

8. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Doing away with the side vent windows and going to one piece glass on an off topic Cal-look veedub. Looked good but the function was gone.

9. LAROKE

LAROKE

I regret turning my '77 vette into a tree . . . that mod made a permanent modification to my nose too :D

10. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Years ago when I got my truck,the front suspension was screwed up,M#stang II suspensions hadn't been thunk up yet and subframe swaps were in their infancy in these parts.
    A welder of some acclaim helped "install" a N#va subframe in the front of the truck.It had drum brakes which operated great for many years.
    I had my beloved chrome reverse on the front and back and all was right with my hot-rodding world.
    Jet ahead...I decide in a sober moment that I absotively-posilutely had to have disc brakes on the front end.
    Now my 14" wheels(3 different sets of wheels and tires) won't clear the calipers("grind em" some guys say? Nope,ain't gonna do it.).
    I curse that swap frequently...

Old stuff is still good stuff.

11. ShortBus

ShortBus

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Chopping my old 1949 Studebaker truck.

13. Raunchy

Raunchy

Laroke........You made me laugh!!

14. HRod 50

HRod 50

All of them, my bank account has never been the same!!!!!!

15. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I had pipes all the way back. Oh yeah, while I was moving the Torino sounded awesome. But in LA, most of my time was spent with my foot planted on the brakes... in traffic... listening to ((((reverb))))

16. What problem/problems did you have with the handless ride? Right now my problem is getting them to work. Period!

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I should have left it alone, stock suspension lowered with disks, 235 with a 5 speed. dead reliable and good mileage. I am an idiot.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my biggest regret was accidentally putting an 65 Mustang on my rotissierie that I built for my 49. $7500.00 and hundreds of hours later I had a running driveable primered shell with a beautiful undercarriage and engine compartment. lost my job and sold it for $4500.00. should have put that time and energy into a car I liked better.

19. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Getting married, having kids, getting a job....... Oh wait, those are the things that keep me from doing the mods, not regretting them. LOL

20. Tommy R

Tommy R

Why do you regret it? Wrong look? Lack of headroom? Just curious...

21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I put a Richmond 6 speed in my Biscayne with a strip clutch. That Richmond was a pain to shift ALL the time and the clutch was murder in traffic. I sold the car before fixing it. The new owner put an automatic in it.

22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Passenger seat to small for the wife ,But the girlfriend fits in fine.Lol

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I regret modifying my schedule to do this fuckin Packard 12!!!

24. orange52

orange52

Its a small mod but I regret shaving the drip rails on my 52 Chevy pickup. It just doesn't look right.

25. henryj429

henryj429

Recessing the brake booster way deep into the firewall. Looks really sweet under the hood, but, like all humans - I have knees.

26. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

extending the frame 2-1/2" for more enigine room.... it totally blew the great stubby look of and A coupe.

27. Muttley

Muttley

Putting a TH350 in my old '67 Malibu just because it was cheap. I should have saved the money for a 700R4 or a Four Speed.

28. hotrodstude

hotrodstude

mt biggest mistake was putting a 409 in a 62 corvair.it was an 340hp 409.used the corvair transaxle(went throu a bunch of them.)did a lot of fabracation work and had to put some cylinder heads in the trunk(it was in front of the car.)it was a real bear on the road.i insalled the radiator in the trunk and ran pipes to the front and rear.used an old window fan with a 12v motor.the thing turned like a mack truck and if you gave it to much gas the thung would just about flip over.i sold it and new owner pulled the 409 and scraped the body.

29. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

its the ones I didnt do that I regreat... I finished painting my 26 coupe and stood back and thought to myself,,,,fuck I should have chopped it

30. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

I rebuilt a '55 Willys CJ-5 with a 225 Buick V6, new paint job, straightened out all the body, brand new top, new seats, pretty much everything, and didn't realize I was just too tall to be comfortable driving that thing for more than 15 minutes. I tweaked the seating position several times and just couldn't make it comfortable enough so I sold it at a loss. I should have built a CJ-6 instead.