Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What modern donor roof to fill in a 31 Ford coupe HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Huelke, Jan 6, 2019.

1. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

That Fairlne doesn't happen to have the chrome trim on the hood lip, does it? I've been looking for a while now...

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We used to go to the rod runs, avoiding all the sedans with roof ribs. They were DOWNS 'glass bodies!

alchemy likes this.
  3. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

Most everything pre 95 in SE Michigan has been scrapped in any of the junk yards around me. How hard would it be to English wheel one with a curve front to back and side to side? Go slow and fit fit fit? Pretty new with a English wheel. any tips if I go this way?

4. alchemy

alchemy

phantompjcoupe likes this.
  5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Why not something different!!! **clic pic** MR 800 for sale 010.JPG

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

66 Chevy Nova 4 Dr. Perfect fit, trim to size. I left the A gutter around the hole for a traditional look. Ribs are for street rods

alchemy likes this.
  7. zzford

zzford

"And her pleasure"

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I did a 32 cedan years ago , I ended up using , an early Valiant Wagon it had 6 reversed ribs and turned out , top shelf . Only thing is let me know if you find a Valiant top for you and a second for me . I have not seen one in many years .

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Dare to be different , Nomad ribs are side to side rather than front to back if I’m thinking correctly .

10. Blue31Coupe

Blue31Coupe

I used a roof from an early 80s Accord. (I know I'm going to get crap for this :)) Curvature was damn near perfect. Don't really notice the glass too much, the dark glass blends in nicely with the blue paint. Comes in handy seeing the traffic lights with the chopped windshield.
    IMG_0121.JPG IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1639.JPG

'51 Norm likes this.
  11. This is why I suggested looking at crew/extended cab pickups or even vans. Tons of them in the junkyards here still. Occasionally something older turns up, there is an 80s Monte Carlo mostly picked to death. Mid-90s Caprice and clones turn up occasionally too, that could work.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Call Walden's Speed Shop and a nice new properly contoured bare metal roof will arrive in a couple of weeks.

13. Mac_55

Mac_55

Just found this thread looking for ideas for a filler panel for my 31 coupe.
    Was walking an old junkyard the other day looking for ideas. Came across a pinto wagon that had some nice small pofile sharp ribs , looked at a few different ones and just could not decide.

Did have an idea tho , just not sure how it would look and if it could be made to look cool.
    I was sitting on a car , taking a break and looking over the tops and when i looked down , i noticed i was sitting on a 59 Edsel. I was looking at the Hood on the car , not the roof.
    It has a nice raised area the length of the hood that tapers narrow as ut heads to the front and then the large bump fornthe signature edsel grill.
    Now bear with me here. While looking at it , im thinking that it may work as a roof filler . If a fella turned it around backwards , pie cut the sides of the raised area to bring the nose bump down a bit and create a roll. You could build or fit a small vent in the raised area like a 58 impala . I didnt buy the hood either , just couldnt convince myself that it wouldnt turn out looking like a busted ass but then again , theres a chance it could be really cool. Here is a picture of a 59 edsel hood to get the idea. The raised nose bump would be cut down and at the rear of the Model A.
    Pardon the rambling , just thinking out loud to bounce the idea off you fellas.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and Tim like this.
  14. Hombre

Hombre

Mac 55, While I do not see your vision of this conversion, and I really don't like roof vents, even on 58 Impala's. I really like this thinking outside the box part of your idea. It's about time someone tried a hood as a roof filler, hell man it has probably been done but a cool idea non the less.

15. Mac_55

Mac_55

Hell im not sure i see it either but i think if i can pic the hood up for 20 bucks or so , im gonna have to cut it up just to prove to myself it will look like garbage hahaha. I just finished cutting down a 59 chevy dash for the same car a couple months ago . actually loved it in the car but being 6' 240 , it moved the column and wheel so far inside the door frame that id have had to get in the pass side. Had a great look just was not functional.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and Shadow Creek like this.
  16. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Not to hijack..but @Mac_55 what are you going to do with the Chevy dash now?

17. Mac_55

Mac_55

I planned on finishing it out and hanging it on the wall unless someone makes me an offer i cant refuse for it.

18. JWindsor13

JWindsor13
    from Canada

For something different I used a ‘58 Oldsmobile wagon roof on my 33 Tudor. Cut down the center to fit. Fits well. IMG_3815.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Mac_55 and Shadow Creek like this.
  19. Mac_55

Mac_55

20. Hombre

Hombre

Mac, Well man you gave me a real belly laugh with your post. I also did the exact same thing--Cut down a 59 Impala dash for my 31 model A sedan, got it in there and there was no way in hell for me to get into the car. You see I am 6'3" and weigh real close to 300, so I have 3" and 60 lbs on you. I will let your imagination work on that...

Mac_55 likes this.
  21. I saw a '32 sedan years back that used a Taurus wagon roof, also ribbed. It looked really good on the car.

22. Last weekend I picked up a 2007 Dodge Caliber roof for my Model A truck. Just about perfect. I have a machine reserved at the upholstery school this weekend and hopefully it will have a new white canvas over all this soon.
    I painted the underside white and re varnished the Oak bows and header so it looks nice inside.
    $40 at the U-Pick yard.
    ModelARoof1.jpg RoofDonor1.jpg RoofDonor3.jpg

Shadow Creek likes this.
  23. Mac_55

Mac_55

0802191129.jpg 0802191137.jpg 0802191247.jpg 0802191246.jpg 0802191248.jpg 0802191246a.jpg 0802191247b.jpg Guess i should have asked before i did it hahaha.

Made it to my favorite yard today. Gotta love the places that dont crush the old ones.
    After some reading on mustang roofs fitting really nice , i picked out a solid 68 and gave it an oversized sunroof. Also pickes up a caravan middle seat and a pair of tailights from a greenbriar corvair van. I left the edsel hood. Just could not imagine it turning out right.

0802191129.jpg 0802191137.jpg

Shadow Creek likes this.
  24. Duke

Duke

Front of mustang goes to rear of the model A

Hombre likes this.
  25. Mac_55

Mac_55

Thats what i had read. And man they were right. Fits the roll like a dream.

Hombre likes this.
  26. A 78 Ford 150 X cab roof worked for me only a slight arch just kept trimming till it laid how I wanted

27. Mac_55

Mac_55

Once trimmed , the mustang roof is going to be awesome. I also grabbed the center support with the dome light . the contour is dead nuts perfect. 0802192004.jpg 0802192004a.jpg

Shadow Creek and Hombre like this.