Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What models use this wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce_Eddie, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Hello all,

A friend has recently bought literally tons of old Ford parts (hold on, most of it is 60s to 90's Euro-model stuff), but amongst all the modern crap there were a few really old bits, namely a set of wires he would like to ID.

[​IMG]

They're 16 inch, the bolt pattern is 5 x 5.5", and the outer rim appears to be a separate piece to facilitate tyre replacement (although it is not easily visible as they were painted). The spokes are also adjustable, unlike early Fords. The tyres still look pretty much as new, and they're 6.40x16.

[​IMG]

Any idea what these might be out of? The appear too big for some European Ford...

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your inputs! Cheers, Eddie

bct and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

General Jumbos for a '32 ... or Goodyear Airwheels ... or Clark ...

3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Kelsey Hayes with "Firestone" rims with lock rings

302GMC and X38 like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

VERY rare. Probably never find three more.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

OP says friend has " set"...........there are two visible in a couple of the pics.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Oop. Lucky find then!

7. redo32

redo32

Those look like pretty neat wheels, until you get down to the lock rings. Bet you can't get any tire shops to mount them.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

OP and his friend appear to be in Portugal......may be different there......hopefully

Ray

9. Probably 1934 / 1935 Chevrolet standard. Standard had 5 bolt holes, master deluxe 6 bolt holes.

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'33-'36 Chev Standard lug pattern is 5 on 4.25.''

11. desotot

desotot

Weren't some old Chryslers 5 on 5.5?

12. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Hello all and thanks for your inputs!

I must say that I strongly suspect these were mounted on some Ford, as they originated from the leftovers of a very old dealership. Most of the stock he bought was more recent fare, but amongst that were a few period jewels, which we found had already been bought off the previous dealership, so there are a few 30's and 40's bits. Some bits are new, others were good parts that were kept from cars they serviced or dismantled for scrap.

As I said, these wheels are a set, he has no less than 5 of them, all pretty nicely preserved under a thick layer of paint. I'd like to strip one to investigate their origin, but he wants them unmessed with for a new owner to do as he pleases.

Any idea what they might be worth? He's considering putting them on the market, as he currently has no car they will fit, and my own '32 already has a set of artillery wheels that I quite like.

Oh, and yes, I'm in Portugal.

Cheers, Eddie

302GMC and Hnstray like this.
  13. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Eddie, how about posting some pic's of Portugal's Rod scene. I am very interested to see what you have over there & I am sure a lot of HAMBers would also. Cheers :)

14. @Pete Eastwood could you elaborate on these? Was it an aftermarket conversion? Buy the hoop and mount on the kelsey hub and spokes? Or something Firestone sold, or? Thanks for any info! I have a few sets of these as well.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Dmarv's car had a set of these. He hasn't posted lately like he used to.

Dmarv Firestone wheels.jpg

16. Shouldn't be Mid-30's Chevrolet with those split rings- they used split rims up until about 1930, but not split rings.

17. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Hello Dago 88. Sorry to say there isn't much of a scene here. I do know of a couple of rods here, but most aren't even road-legal. The legislation here is very restrictive, so you can't really get much done in terms of alterations.

But there are a few, and there is an all-American meet every summer in Algarve. I have never attented, but I know a few persons who are connected to it. I'll try to dig up some photos.

Cheers, Eddie

P.S.: Any idea on the price for these wheels? My friend has given me permission to put them up for sale.

302GMC likes this.
  18. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P.S.: Any idea on the price for these wheels? My friend has given me permission to put them up for sale.[/QUOTE]
    To be Honest Eddy , I have never seen a set like those. They are probably very rare, but I have no idea what they are worth. Thanks for the reply & Good luck with the sale. :)