Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Model A has more room a RPU or Roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TinShed, Dec 31, 2015.

1. TinShed

TinShed

How does the room compare in a 28-9 Ford Roadster and RPU? Are they the same size inside or is one larger than the other? I am 6'2" tall and in the market for a Roadster or RPU I know a custom seat will be needed to fit but if on has a little more room than the other it may narrow my search for the next build. I know neither is large inside but I have been wanting to build a Model A for a while and it is time to start the hunt...

Thanks Tim

2. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

if its space you need I would say go with a roadster instead of a RPU.... have one of each...

building a 28 RPU now and have a 28-9 roadster waiting..

I am 5'10" and the RPU it kinda cramped for space..... pedals on the firewall might help a little bit the inside with out a seat back is almost big enough but is going to shrink a lot when a seat is put in...

with the roadster when I sit in it.. the seat is lower but seems to me I have a lot more room inside..

3. The roadster has more leg room, in a roadster there is more room behind the doors then in a roadster pickup. In the pickup as I recall the seat base is taller which would compensate for the leg room issue. Well maybe that was not the plan but it worked out that way.

Tim,
    This is not directed at you or anyone for that matter but just an observation, but for a taller or larger gent a deuce or a modal 40 is the obvious better choice. They are just a bigger car without going to a boat fender car like say a '37 up.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Actually it will depend on what body you use. If I was taller and still wanted an RPU with some space I would get a Brookville body. Plenty of legroom.

5. I'm building a '28/29 rpu on '32 rails and will stretch the doors 4" and the rear quarters just under an inch. I moved the front cross member forward an inch and the rear back almost 3". I moved the body forward until the cowl matched the frame rails. I pulled the frame rails together about a half inch which helped avoid a pinch in the front. I'm using firewall mount pedals and dropped the floor forward of the seat area 2". All in all I can get a seating position similar to my '40 Chevy. I'm 6'2"

It's in mock up stage on a 75% done frame and everything seems to be falling in place with a pleasing side view.

6. You guys make me so glad I got short legs (6' tall 30" inseam) I struggle with chopped cars because I am long from the waist up but I can usually just grab any old heap and scab it together. Mods I make are because I want to not because I have to. :D

7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Ditto on the body & door stretch.
    I put 3" in the doors & 2" in the body to try to keep the proportions right.
    The doors were a LOT of work.
    Ordered splash aprons 5" longer, (yes full-fendered) & stretched the frame myself.
    Found some repo AA running boards at the SD swap that I can cut to fit.
    Tapered the stock seat riser to zero at the rear and it sits real comfortable for my 6'-1" size.
    The thrash is on for Father's Day.