Register now to get rid of these ads!

What makes or breaks a car show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JGore99, Aug 4, 2010.

1. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

I dont go to car much any more every body is after tropheys I just like to vist and drive not to sit in the sun listening to everybody bragging about their car

2. Around here no one advertises it.They just have a show without getting word out,then get upset when not many cars show up.If they would get the word out they could draw hundereds of cars.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i was close:D

post 39

4. hemi

hemi

Show cars with big black and orange "for sale" signs on the windshield... I hate that.

5. hemi

hemi

LOL.. this is a funny comment that I hear from time to time.

Sure, they're going to pay a couple hundred cars $50 each to show up after they've rented the venue, secured the area, got the right permits, got insurance, rented port-a-johns, advertised, arranged for entertainment, and made or bought trophies so everybody could have a great time with a group of old cars and not get hassled by the cops for clogging up a public place, and/or raising money for a charity of some kind.

Without people who give a shit about gathering cars, you have no car shows. That's fine for some driveway rockstars, but car shows are fun. Period.

Bad people make shows bad. If you are grumpy or hell-bent on just winning something, stay home...

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Probably the best answer I've seen in a long time...some people have no clue what it takes to put on an event of GG's magnitude or NSRA's...

I'd bet even the "promoters" at the Hunnert Car Pile-up, Grease-arama, and even "Billet-Proof" would agree with you on this one.

R-

7. The Gambler

The Gambler

VERY well said..we need more people thinking like this to RUN the shows!

8. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

There is nothing I hate more than thoes damn crying kid dolls. WTF!

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

If your going to have a cry baby doll, make it look like it just shit its pants.

10. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

my kids only cry when they see billet or "rat rods":D

11. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

12. Local car show, public facility. Same night as a "Nationwide" known band to play a concert and billed as a car show and concert. All good in the beginning. I met some new friends that afternoon and night too.
    Band is still playing. Public facility hasn't chased us car folks of yet. Hasn't made it to 10 pm yet. Public facility with restrooms has locked their doors. Many bars in the local area, including the one I ate a late lunch at. Blue rooms/porta-potties inside the fence of the concert where most of the people are, including the other public restroom.
    Local bar you had lunch at demands you pay a cover charge to go piss. I behaved myself because of wanting to be a responsible rep for my choice of hobbies as opposed to an example on the news, but it was all I could do to not tell them to go f&%K off with their damn big city f#$king ideas on how to treat people.
    Provide simple stuff and plan ahead. I don't gove a shit if my car won't pass the politics to win a trophy, because my car is my trophy, my test of myself and pleasure of my first build.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  13. PiLeDrIvEr

PiLeDrIvEr

Can't forget the plastic k-9 that's relieving himself on the car's tire...that just slays me. You mix all three of these together and you have the trifecta of fun!

14. chubbie

chubbie

yup, a lot of good stuff here! BREAKS for me.... late model shit!!!! where, or should i say who ever thought that a pick-up is a hot rod??? we see this shit around here all the time!! I see mini vans, 4-door cars, pick-ups! NEW RULE !!!!!!!!!! if you can see this car at the wall-mart parking lot it can't be in the show.......or go to wall-mart and look at the cars/trucks!!!!!!!

15. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Breaks:

the "what-you-gotta-do" guys that wanna give their unwanted 2 cents on everything they would "correct" about my bird...i know smallblocks exist! i wanted to build up my straight 6! if i wanted a smallblock, i would have installed one!!!

16. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Large shows that do not seperate cars by general type are a turnoff to me as a spectator- I do not want to have to go past an 80,s vette, a
    ricer, a 4x4 pickup etc to get to a car I find interesting. The show does
    not have to be to specific- but how about grouping cars by a general
    age or type- ie pre ww2, 4x4s together, pickups, muslecars, 50's
    etc? I like them all to some degree but at a large show there is only so
    much walking I am willing to do, let me see the cars I want to see first
    and then I can check others out if I am up for it. My 2 cents. Jim

17. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Thats Great!!!

18. Choptop

Choptop

what makes or breaks a show? - the attitude of the participants.

if you show up looking for a good time, you'll likely find it.
    if you show up looking for something to complain about, you'll likely find it.

that being said, all I can do as a promoter is make sure the stage is set for you to have a good time, and that nothing on my end keeps you from having a good time. That means you get in and out easy, its organized (at least on my end, it can look casual to you, in fact, thats the idea), it doesnt cost too much, there is some entertainment on hand, lots of food, lots of potties, a decent venue...

The rest is kinda up to you.

you can sit in your chair behind your call all day if thats your thing, if its not, dont do it. get up, walk around, TALK to people... you'd be amazed at the stories you'll hear. Hell, ya might learn something or make a new friend. But what happens in the show and how much fun you have is pretty much up to you.

19. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

car show should be fun.....
    this all goes with the attitude of who shows up.

If you are gonna have a bad attitude going into the show - then you are gonna have a bad day.
    If you go into the show thinking you have the potential to see some new stuff, make some new friends, and overall positive outlook - you are gonna have a great time.

I have learned over the years to have very low expectations when I do new shows. Example is the Barnyard Boogie just south of Chicago.

I thought I needed to have at least 200 cars for me to be "entertained" with the rides that show up.......
    I was totally wrong and had a great time just hanging out with people I knew and those that I did not know. So they got about 50 cars in there...
    I went in there with a positive attitude that this may be a slow show - but it turned into a really great day.

Positive attitude is everything.

If you come to shows expecting trophies and your happiness depends on you getting that trophy.........you need to reevaluate why you are into the car scene. If you get one - cool....if not - dont go home griping - just be happy you were above ground another day to appreciate the rides around you.

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

how funny is that - I did NOT see what Alan was writing above........seems great minds think alike huh?

ha

21. I personally prefer a cruise in Like Ocean City Cruisin' where thousands of different style cars are driving the streets from venue to venue instead of just sitting in a hot parking lot with the hood up! Unless it's for a worthy cause (like Jalopyrama!) I don't attend. If they charge more than $15 then I expect more than a crappy plastic dash plaque, like a free meal or something. I have never put a dash plaque on any of my cars!

22. big bad john

big bad john

...........Shade and good food..........

23. 454navyss

454navyss

i didnt read every page but IMO the cars and music will either make or break a show. PERIOD!

24. George T G

George T G

I agree with the one comment about the WRONG cars. Nothing like being told there is little or no room for me and I get in there (it's a nostalga show) and see a dozen or two 90's and newer cars. If I want to see that crap I'll go tour the Auto Mall.

25. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

viva is pretty great, great cars, great weather, great entertainment.

26. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I think for me a great show is no show at all ... just a swap meet and off to a cruise or better yet the races .

27. riverman

riverman

When does the Grants Pass show happen? I agree, KAN has gotten too big.

28. teddyp

teddyp

a good show is one where people are there to have a good time with good people everything elise will fall in place

29. A SWAP MEET within MAKES it for me

30. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Participant judging SUCKS!!!!!!! There will be one freakin' "bondo-buggy" that is owned by someone who makes sure that all his friends vote for him. I've been to shows where a pile of shit '62 Buick Skylark, painted bright metallic green (and it didn't even shine) over so much bondo it could have been reshaped into a Vette BEAT a high end '63 Chevy II with a 502 Ram Jet. :eek:

I say if you are going to have judging, have actual judges, if not don't have judging at all!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've been to shows that had NO JUDGING and they were a great time. :)