Register now to get rid of these ads!

What makes a Stromberg 81 carb such a hot item?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Just curious...

I was re-reading the Stromberg 97 article in TRJ #32 last night. They briefly mention the "more exotic" 81's and 48's.

What makes them "more exotic"? I always thought the 97 was about as good as it got. Maybe the smaller cfm rating makes them a better candidate for a multi-carb set-up?

JH

2. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Well the 81 was only available on the v8-60.. SO its pretty scarce. its a good banger carb.

just Rarity, and stuff mostly i believe.

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

The cfm plays a part but I think the others are quite rare in comparison to the 97 as well. I can't remember exactly but I think they were only produced for one year each, the 81 only featuring on the V8-60, whereas the 97 was around for 3(?) years or so.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

They're more exotic because they're harder to find. 81s only came on V8-60s from '37-'39; I think that '40 V8-60s used a Holley 94 style carb with a "92" on the side of it. 81s come in handy for those that insist on six carbs for the street on a mild engine, since the venturis are smaller than the 97s and 48s. 48s were the first two barrel that flatheads used in '34-'35.

5. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

81 125 Cfm

97 155 Cfm

48 170 Cfm

6. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

One other thing too

For some reason the 81 lends itself well to be able to convert it over to alcohol whereas the 94 or the Chandler-Groves cannot be done. I think the 97 can be done ...but with difficulty. Now back to the 81. The stock-block Midget guys all used 81s on alcohol and many of them were ruined by the alcohol left in over the off-season. Also, many were just plain used up by racers over the years.

In my opinion, a correctly rebuilt 94 makes a better banger set-up than an 81 --or a 97. Look at the cubic inch sizes the 81 and 97's were originally bolted on to vs. the size of a banger.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  7. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

What about LZ on the carb? I've got two with that logo. look just like a 97 carb.

8. LZ was a Lincoln carb.

1" venturi & 160 cfm.

I'd be interested if they are for sale.

JH

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I want to try this manifold on my 60hp (after milling the bases flat) which has one 97 now. What should I expect to pay and where for a couple of 81s? Are there alternatives, Holley?

[​IMG]

10. 36tbird

36tbird

Just curious, when you mill the bases flat, what do you do about the stud angle? Can you re-tap the holes perpendicular? I ask because I have a 3X2 SBC manifold that must have been for a boat or something as it has the angle.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bend 'em! :)

Funny thing about this manifold, the studs are perpendicular to the base already, not the carb flanges. I know it looks funny in the photo, because I used the close up lens. So they must have just run it with the studs angled.

If this were not the case, I would suggest drilling out stud holes while it was on the mill for helicoils at the proper angle.

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Im doing that right now on a 4 x 2 boat intake
    I think im going to get some quality thread inserts - make a drill guide plate once I know the drill size for the inserts.

Iv alreaddy cut the intake