Register now to get rid of these ads!

What later brakes will work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blacktopicasso, May 20, 2012.

1. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

Okay I had posted earlier about aquiring a complete 56 ford truck axle assembly for my 31 Plymouth but its to wide. Well I just received a 30/31 Plymouth front axle assemlby but the king pins are welded. Has anyone worked with this early plymouth axle when it comes to converting to newer brakes or are parts available to rebuild, it has stock hydralic brakes. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.:confused:

2. F&J

F&J

I have run those on original Plymouths and the brakes would be inadequate for a hot rod IMO.

I also put discs on one 30 years ago. I had to chuck the spindles in a lathe to make the snout shorter, and to make the inner bearing race area fit the disc bearing, And it does not have enough drop for most builds.

I would keep looking for a better choice. You may get lucky on C/L or other clasifieds, to find a used parallel leaf aftermarket drop axle out of a chevy or mopar rod that is getting a new IFS.