Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What kind of work gloves do you use in your shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Mar 2, 2015.

1. sir

sir

BLACK NITRILE AND CUT THE TIPS OFF DOWN THE FIRST KNUCKLE SO I CAN DEAL WITH SMALL PARTS....

2. Fabber Mcgee Prayers go out for you and hoping for the best for you .Please keep us posted.ThanksBruce.

3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I wear gloves 50% of the time...I crunched my knuckles pretty badly a few years ago....made me at least 'try them' ...they absolutely come in handy with 'questionable' parts of my car build...never thought I'd wear them, but hey...don't want things hurting more than they have to....the cheap Harbor Freight mechanics gloves works fine for me;)

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Side bar;

If you are going to wear Mechanix gloves keep a search going on SlickDeals for them. I buy them when they get down to $7 or $8 a pair shipped, and buy 4 pairs at a time. Never pay retail for Mechanix gloves. I also buy them a size smaller than I would typically buy gloves so the finger tips are tight.

I've gotten to the point that I can almost do anything dexterity-wise with them on, it just takes a bit of adjusting. They have saved me from more than a few serious "oh shit" moments where the glove took a fatal blow and my hand only got a small percentage of the damage. I'm expertly skilled at jamming my paws into a wire wheel or 7" flap disk at speed. It's a gift!

My wife always gripes that I didn't get man-hand today in the shop. I assume her boyfriend is a lumber jack or something.

5. i should wear gloves; DSCF3783.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. barstowpo

barstowpo

7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Damn, mother thumb and her 4 ugly daughters.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

9. I buy a good quality leather roping glove, saves a lot of burns and skinned knuckles.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Get your grubby paw off that quiche, it looks quite good.

I wear Costco Nitrile gloves sometimes. There are a couple of things you don't want to do while wearing them. One is apply sticky tape. Another is put a carburetor together, because you will soon be taking it apart to get a tiny piece of glove out of a jet. Oh and don't try and hold a screw with them while you use an electric driver unless you want your thumb and forefinger screwed in also.

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. Model T1

Model T1

Do these gloves match my tights?

12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You're laughing now, but you'll wish you were wearing those tights the first time you snag your junk on a rusty outcropping while creepering under your ride!

Besides, I need the tights to add some color to contract with these monochrome gloves!:D

SanDiegoHighwayman and patmanta like this.
  13. Rainman, i agree with you with the harbor freight gloves but the nearest h.f. is an hour drive each way for me. My stepson likes going to Knoxville so I get him to pick me up some when hes there, But when I run out the yellow .99 cent gloves at food city work fine for me.Bruce.

14. When I 1st was getting married to my 1st future ex wife. We went shopping for wedding rings and still had my body shop and had hands like yours .The guy behind the counter said my, what kind of work do you do?I told him I was a brain surgen .I thought he was going to piss in his pants. lol.Bruce.

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. Human papilloma virus, or cigars or chew or a pipe. Not likely that not wearing gloves gave you cancer on your tongue.

I am sorry that you are sick though and I say that from the bottom of my heart. I hope that your prognosis is well.

If wearing gloves is going to keep me from getting sick I am afraid that ship has already sailed. Too many years in shops with zero ventilation , extremely harsh chemicals, stick welding and asbestos dust just to name a few.

If you are a young person and you believe that wearing gloves is going to save you or you work in a industry that having a little grease under your nails is a problem then gloves for sure.

One thing that I should make clear here is that I do not expect anyone to be me or even try, the fact that I seldom wear gloves when I am turning a wrench is me seldom wearing gloves when I turn a wrench. it should have no bearing on your life decisions whatsoever.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I have no idea where the skin cancer came from and still can't see or feel it. They say it's very treatable and I'm not too concerned. My point was that everyone seems to think (myself included) that bad shit happens to other guys, not me. All I'm saying is take care of yourselves, cause nobody can do it for you. Keep your hands clean if you can, cover your arms and neck when you weld and wear a respirator. Just because you haven't in the past, doesn't mean it's too late to help.

volvobrynk likes this.

17. I dunno I asked my neurologist why he never suggested that I quit smoking, he just said, "well you started smoking when you were nine years old and you are over 50 now, you have already done all the damage that you are going to do." then he grinned at me and suggested that I should at least cut back. :D

Solvent wise in the shop we are not using solvents that are nearly as potent as we used say 40 years ago or even 20. They will still cause damage but not nearly like the stuff we used when I was coming up. I do try not to use solvent as a hand cleaner any more, and I use as little as possible only when I really need solvent. my hands are already old and scarred so using gloves to work with isn't going to save much, maybe a scrape once in a while. I am not at it 40+ hours a week like I used to be.

As a hobbiest it should be noted that one should only use a respirator if they can qualify to use one and be sure and learn which filters do what. It is a simple test longue capacity can be done when you get your physical. I have never been able to pass the test, I wasn't dealt a good hand to start with, but on jobs where one was required I always managed to get a fudged score in case the OSHA guy showed up. Anyway a respirator can be a dangerous thing and if you don't know much about them or can't pass the longue capacity test you should get someone else to use it for you.

They claim that the smoke from welding rod will cause permanent nerve damage. we didn't know that when I was a young man. I guess in my case it didn't matter I was already walking on borrowed motor neurons. But if you must stick weld and can use a respirator you should do that and otherwise at the very least try and use good ventilation.

FabberMcgee,
    Don't skimp on the treatment if you can be cured get it done.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I use leather gloves for welding,but I have started using the lighter gloves all the time. I have so much Warfarin in my blood stream that if I bump anything too hard I instantly get a bruise. Because of the blood thinners they heal real slow. Should have, could have, but I was young then. My wife likes my hands soft,and thats a good thing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. daddylama

daddylama

didn't wear gloves for anything, except as needed when welding.

now with the chemicals and shit in everything, along with having small children: I wear nitrile when working with anything chemical related. got a bunch of boxes of them, have them all over my shop.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. bet on black

bet on black

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I wear 100% cotton brown jersey gloves or white canvas. They are getting very difficult to find. Most gloves have polyester fibers in them which burn in a heartbeat. I sometimes wear leather for grinding but my hands sweat. I don't like leather for welding because sparks seem to find their way in and you either let it burn or pull your hand out and burn a larger area. With cotton gloves, any spark can burn it's way out of the glove. I started using white cotton canvas gloves when I was spending hours welding with 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch stick. The white reflects the heat.

We had a guy at work severely burn a hand while wearing mechanix gloves and using a torch when the synthetic back of the glove burned.

22. mj40's

mj40's

Happened to my brother after years of solvents being a diesel mechanic. Lymphoid cancer age 64.

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

With the shitload of chemicals in oil today I use nitril gloves. Blue ones Heavy duty, no powder. Oil change only. Maybe pan or valve cover gaskets
    And some extra heavy duty "dish washing" like industrial great when using hardcore soap or engine cleaner.
    I use good leather gloves when doing body work. Or work around sharp object, grinders and hammers.

And for some odd reason I use the same brand as the firm I work for.

My present firm buy so many packs of gloves, they get some packs for free. So I got an agreement with my foreman, if I buy a pack, I get a pack for free later. And as long as the production never suffers, the agreement stands.

24. That will grow back - Hopefully

25. cretin

cretin

I don't wear gloves most of the time, even some times when I should, like welding.
    I mostly use them when I'm shaping metal. I have been on the lookout for quite a while, without much luck, for some gloves that I can go from using with the english wheel, or pullmax to welding. I hate changing gloves. Has anyone found a good set of gloves for this?

26. The only gloves I use are leather welder's gloves