Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of paint to use ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, May 2, 2012.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

There are many options out there, but being a novice, I am looking for a paint product that is relatively easy to apply. I would like to avoid wet sanding, buffing etc. Is there a product out there that I can shoot & be done. What am I looking for, single stage, urethane, enamel, BC/CC ? This is for a daily driver, not a show car, Just want it to look decent.

2. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'd go with single stage urethane enamel in 3 parts.[Paint, Hardener, Reducer] It can be cut and buffed if needed also.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

If you have an autobody/paint store in your area stop in at a slow time and talk to one of the older counter guys about your project.
    Most stores want to sell you what you need and want.
    Ask for tech sheets for the products you're buying and follow the mixing instruction to the letter!
    Take your time and do it right the first time!
    Friends tell me the Summit paints are quite good.
    Good luck with your project.
    KK

4. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

There must be some more recommendations out there.

5. twinstick

twinstick

thats a good question, an old painter told me the better your prep is the better the out come will be, remember cleanlyness is godlyness!!

6. JD Miller

JD Miller
    from Wildomar

Back when it was still legal, i used the good old acrylic enamal. Prep and cleanlyness was a must and add some smoothy. A good painter could get a nice glasslike finish with out wet sanding.
    PPG has a nice single stage paint still .

Find a "good" paint shop and ask.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. LeaveItToBeaver

LeaveItToBeaver
    from Ennis, TX

I was using PPG Delstar single stage acrylic enamel until the price went out of sight. I've started using PPG's Omni line of paints and have had good luck with them. The cost is approximately 1/3 of PPG's Delstar line. Omni's line of paints have less solids which means that it doesn't cover quiet as well, so you will need to spray another coat or two. My paint guy mixes my paint with less binder and adds more solids to gain about the same coverage as PPG's premium line. I always use hardener in the acrylic enamel. Omni also has a single stage acrylic urethane line of paint that covers very well and has good gloss. It costs a little more than Omni's acrylic enamel.

As far as base coat clear coat, it costs a little more and is a little tougher to get a slick finish since it dries slower and gives bugs and debris more time to collect in the clear. If you have access to a paint booth, it's the way to go. Good luck and I hope it helps.

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

9. First timer, I doubt you'll get close to the results you want right out if the gun with no sanding buffing or extra , , Maybe you'll get a big dose of beginners luck.

Enamel in a solid color would be my recommend finish.
    It's not outrageously priced.
    If you spray it perfect, your good. If you get some Orange peel, overspray, general screwups you can fix them easy enough by sanding and buffing. Metalics in enamel don't respond well to correction.
    Match your reducer to the metal temp not ambient.

If you plan on a hardener, you need to take special precautions to protect yourself.

Google Isocyanate and spend sometime reading about this stuff. Not to be taken lightly.

10. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

I have used Nason Ful-thane by Dupont with very good results. it gos' on slick and has held a good shine now for 7 years. I keep it clean and waxed a couple times a year. It's outside everyday in the florida sun, not garaged. If needed it can be color sanded and buffed too.

11. Bob, this is a hard question to answer, cheaper paints require a better painter to get to look good, and consequently, top of the line paints produce a better job "easier". for a first paint job use a urethane enamel and plan on wet sanding and buffing [really not that bad] any bad spots such as, runs, sags, dry spots and dirt.
    runs and sags are better than a dry paint job.

12. maybelene

maybelene

Acrylic enamel with very little metallic, if any, would be my choice for beginners. If you don't have a booth, shoot when the dust is down or wet everything with water. Also painting the car in panels like the hood and front fenders, then the top and quarters, then the doors, will help with overspray. Wear a good respirator with whatever paint you choose.

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

+1, and I'll add that if you stay away from metallics your chances of success will be greater. Go with a solid color until you get some experience.

Bob

14. overspray

overspray

Everyone has offered good advise. Here's a garage paint thread TomH and I did some years back that was saved in the "Tech " archive. Search paint job, first time paint, garage paint, single stage paint--there's lots of info here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14597&showall=1

If you are a beginner at paint, start by learning about primers and how to spray them. Work with sections or parts and pieces, don't start with a big area or whole car to learn on. Swinging a paint gun is actually hard on the arm muscles if you try too much at once.

Single stage urethane non metallic is a good basic start. There are some good youtube videos and some DVD's you can buy, as well as some forums and sites on the web. There is a bunch of good info right here on the HAMB.

overspray

15. When I painted mine I was in the same spot you are, I wanted a decent job for as little $$$ as possible. I was gonna paint it at home. After getting prices on paint I realized I did not want to screw it up, so I talked to a friend of mine who owns a body shop, Supierior Customs, He told me the paint to get ( Martin Senior Crossfire BC/CC ) and said if I brought it to him ready to shoot he'd shoot it for me, but he said only BC/CC, not single stage. Glad I listened to him, came out great.