Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of electric fuel pump would be good.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olustee Bus, May 29, 2010.

1. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I recently installed a Holley electric pump on my older corvette. It is installed in the rear of the car.

Since those pumps don't suck gas, ( it pushes it), they should be installed lower than the tank. That is hard to do in a 63 vette.

I drove it today and once I got on a level road, it stopped. Not enough fuel in the tank.

The old (over 40 years) pump must have been a bendix and I don't see them at Jegs.

Any recommendations on a small pump that could suck gas as well as push it?

2. The small "block" type pump (Facet?) will suck uphill, I have one mounted about 3/4 the way up the side of the tank. The only thing is they "tick tick" when running, but you can always turn up your radio. Wire it through some sort of safety device so you don't end up with an engine fire .(EG no ignition pulses=stopped pump=unburnt vette)

3. BinderRod

BinderRod

My Holley Blue pump took a dump on me last Sunday morning. The good part is that I was on a 400 mile road trip the day before. I waited to die the next morning in my driveway. I went on CraigsList and found a new Carter pump for 10 bucks.
    I hope the Carter is not as noisy as the Holley was.

4. I ran a Carter electric pump on the street with no problems for about 5 years, then sold the car. I understand the Carter pump actually uses fuel to cool the pump and this apparently adds to the pumps longevity. The car was a tubbed Nova (I put a LOT of miles on it) with thin sheetmetal for flooring, covered with thin carpet with no underpad, the car also had small Flowmaster mufflers. The car was loud and it still sounded like I had a helicopter in the trunk. I found the best solution to the noise issue was not to turn up the radio (didn't have one) but to simply keep the revs up over 4,000 with the rear tires spinning. Linelock allows you to continue to do that at stoplights. This pump is also a "pusher".

One other thing I should add...I DID actually carry a spare electric pump (exact same model pump) in the trunk as a spare just incase I ever had a failure out on the road.

5. Lild

Lild

I mustve gotten lucky with my Holley blue pump. It made virtualy no noise. It was already mounted when I bought the car it was in and it was in front and above the rear axle. Never had one problem with it. When I sold that car I kept the pump and ran it on the next 2 cars with no issues.

6. A Parts Store, that has knowledgeable parts people (I Know-where are they?), can refer to the back of their fuel pump parts catalogs and look up the specs for the different electric fuel pumps they offer. They will find different types, solid state, pulse type, 6 volt, 12 volt, pressures they perform at, pushers, suckers, etc., make them earn their wage.

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I ran 2 different Carter 6 PSI pumps, Edelbrock carbs dont like pressure above 6 psi. my fuel pressure gage showed 10 psi for both of changed pumps. These were new pumps, Was pushing the fuel past the needle and seats. Went to older SW diaphram pump, works great. always carry a spare.

Ago
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. All electric pumps I know of push. It's the design. Carbed Hondas (Accord,Civic CVCC) had pusher pumps from the factory. I think that's just the way they are.