Register now to get rid of these ads!

What It's Worth: Chevrolet W-Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodBen1987, Feb 11, 2013.

1. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Just bought a Chevrolet 348 tri-power engine and have a few questions. This engine ran when pulled out, and has since been taken down to a short block. This is a standard bore, unmolested engine, with factory cast iron tri power intake, 3 rochester 2Gs, 3 carb rebuild kits, and another cast iron four barrel intake. The engine is missing is air cleaner, valve covers, oil pan, water pump, and accessory brackets.

#1. What is all this worth?
    #2. Can you guys help me to find resources for parts?

Any input is appreciated.

-Ben

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Egge Machine Company

3. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I have a 348 motor sitting in my shop that we rebuilt about 8-10 years ago but unfortunately never stuffed it into anything yet. I think I have about $4000 into the motor. Rebuilding a motor is not cheap these days, even if it is a Chevy.

As far as value, your tri-carb setup and the motor should be worth a few bucks for someone wanting to go the W route. I would think it should be worth $2K if it is a good quality rebuildable which it sounds like it is.

Try www.dr409.com for your specialty parts. He may also be able to give you a better understanding of value.

That's a real nice motor that is not just another run of the mill small block. Good luck with it.

Joe

4. I rebuilt my 348 a few years back. Had about 2500 into a full rebuild.the tripower intake is about a $300 item. All my rebuild parts came from my local parts house, nothing special required. I can not give a stock 4bbl intake away. They are easy to find.

5. it no doubt is worth what you gave for it. The tin can be resourced in our classifieds or on the bay or any number of aftermarket vendors. Your hard parts can be purchansed at your local autoparts or from a catalog speed shop like summit racing or jeggs.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Unless you're doing a completely stock restoration, do yourself a favor and don't worry about finding the factory air cleaner. You'll be able to finance the engine rebuild with what you save.

7. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna keep the internals about as stock as possible (not wanting to build a race car, but something driveable). Either gonna put it in a hot rod or maybe build a 61 or 62 wagon one of these days. Gotta finish my current project first though!

8. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

prices being quoted seem ballpark---my local parts guy has or can get anything you need---agree about 4 barrel intakes---good luck

9. 327Eric

327Eric

They seem to bring more than they are worth to me. I have only seen a few rods with them. A friend of mine has two he is trying to sell for $2500 with no takers, including me, and my 59 El Camino is an original 348 car. I got 100 bucks for a 3 2 manifold i found in a junkpile, so i do like selling the parts when i get them.
    I,ve found complete Hemi's for less.
    If you can build it, go for it. they are cool to see.

10. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Okay cool, not wanting to sell this stuff just wanting to see if I got ripped off. Which I don't think I did :) Thanks for all the input and help guys