Register now to get rid of these ads!

What it's worth 49-50 merc front by Gene Winfield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951mercury, May 26, 2006.

1. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

So i found a front end for a 49-50 mercury that is all fiberglass. It includes the fenders, grille surround,... but not the hood. It is already set up for a desoto grille. It was also made by Gene Winfield. Does anyone know what it is worth? thanks

2. I tried to sell one with no luck last year for a guy. He paid $500 for his. He is turning it into a couch, the fit was horrible.

3. I know that Mr. Merc was gettin about 225.00 a pop for the fenders, about 175.00 for the splash apron, and about 150.00 for the nose pieces. HOWEVER, since Mercuryland now owns all the old Mr.Merc stock the prices are a little higher now, and I'm not certain that the fenders and nose that they sell are Winfield pieces, but that'll give ya an idea.

4. Of course as Tman said, if they aren't excellent, well fitting repops, then they aren't worth much anyways.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

stick with original steel even if you have to pay a little more,it always fits the best . i bought a 51 front clip with a grille a few weeks back and i only paid $300 for it you just got to keep yr eyes open. when you chop your 4door are you gonna carson top it or leave the roof? i have a couple pics of my carson topped ones if you want some more pics of 4doors

6. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

i was going chop it and leave the roof, but a carson top is always a possiblity. i am always open to suggestions and pictures. thanks

7. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I talked to Gene about his glass bodies some time ago, not long after he moved to Mohave. Also talked to Mr Merc about Gene's glass body parts. The word was that he used one of his modified Mercs to cast the molds for his front end parts and that the Merc was no longer of stock proportions. Most retailers stopped buying from Winfield after that. Gene is a master at metal work but I wouldn't use his glass stuff even for a couch.

8. hemifarris

hemifarris

I would venture a guess that a steel hood would be hard pressed to fit that glass front end.......

9. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

thanks for all the help, i definitely will not buy the one i was looking at. i found what i needed at mercuryland. thanks