Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What is your take on a fibreglass 1941 willys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

I can't tell the difference at 150 MPH on the quarter mile! Chris

2. Lets not forget 70% of the people out there cant tell a Model A from a 32..Do you really think the average Joe can tell a glass Willys from steel one without knocking on it??Just build what you want. Personally I have owned 5 glass 32's and would never want the burden of having to worry about owning and maintaining a high priced steel one..The same go's with a Willys if you enjoy it, can afford what you want who cares what anyone else thinks...

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Just do it Jay. I did and had a blast with it.

4. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Where did you see me ask for approval? I already have my glass body.I thought this was a forum about people talking about the topic at hand.Which was have you seen the prices of steel Willys and what do you think of glass ones.You sure spent a lot of time reading my replies though,if you don't like my opinion don't read it and move on,and my last reply I said how much I liked the steel conversion but for someone who was questioning the price of steel (which the original OP was) I don't see that being much cheaper that buying a steel coupe.

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Yeah---and what a weirdass hangup,.

6. Weasel

Weasel

7. What's the cost on just the steel for the coupe conversion ?
    Doors,
    Quarters,
    Deck lid,
    Rear window,
    Roof.

8. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Plus all the associated fabrication and body work if the guy can't do it himself?
    And from what I have seen in the classifieds around here,the days of "low cost 41 Willys sedans" are looooong gone brother!
    Once again,the glass version is scuff and paint,and the steel stuff is a year long proposition of cutting,welding,modifying,and replacing damaged or rusted old crap.Thats ok for guys like me that have fab skills and enjoy working on them as much as driving them,but some guys can't commit to something that involved.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. timothale

timothale

11. Larry T

Larry T

12. If its glass make it fast!

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'd build that as a 4Dr Sedan before I'd build a Glass Coupe.

Lots of people cant afford a real steel Coupe.

So you make compromises.

There is no shame in that.

My compromise would be to use less desirable steel, helped out with racing weight glass flip front, doors decklid, etc.
    ( if no light weight sedan parts exist, make 'em...)

The core has to be genuine...

This reasoning wont make sense to a lot of you, and that's OK.

It only has to make sense to me...;)

14. Dr. Remulak

Dr. Remulak
    from Phila. Pa

40 sedan floors are the same as coupe floors, also in the picture of Lee Kay's rear clip it has rear fenders, they are not needed if the sedan has good fenders.

15. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

As the majority of the opinions are the same and I agree, build it in fiberglass and enjoy it!

16. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The metal truck is 7600 b/0 now on ebay. (I think you gotta be half my size to fit in it.) Would be nice if some1 would fix it.

17. I think it would be interesting to build a glass car in a stock style. Use a lot of stock parts with a good quality glass body.

18. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

Coming from a man who owns six steel willys.I wouldnt build a full glass car.there's are so many variences in the bodys and many dont look quite compared to a real steel correctly dimensioned coupe.if I were to buy a glass car to make a street rod it would be hillside street rods.if I were to buy a drag car willys it would be Scott's rods or outlaw.once again all back to what a guy wants.

19. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

I also agree with previous comment I would build a steel sedan over,a glass coupe any day.steel holds It value alot more then plastic.it all really boils down to what a guy wants and wants to do.I like Don Moyers coupe and the remake big John car.that's the thing if I was gonna race it glass is what I would want so I wouldn't accidentally destroy a rare steel coupe.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  20. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Here's a couple of pics:

Attached Files:

21. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

The black cars nice I would race the Shit out of it.wouldn't use it as a street rod.

22. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I'd rather have a glass Willy's then not at all and since funds are limited i'd buy a kit and build my dream car. Just buy a set of halibrands for it and put a bug catcher out the hood and 58' ford grill out front and build it in the "Traditional" style that god intended gassers to look like and most people won't mind. Besides like the one guy said most of the hard core gasser racers were using fiberglass doors, deck lid fenders, and front ends back in the day anyway. what's the differents if the body's glass too.

Attached Files:

23. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

I did exactly that.
    Right after she ( ex wife) started talking shit about a getting a boob job.

It went like this :
    Her- I've been thinking about getting a boob job. Terri just had hers done and they look great. What do you think ?

Me- cubic zirconia looks great too. I was thinking ,,, ( got cut off mid sentence)

You must be a quicker thinker than me. I probably would have replied "I think Terri's look great too" and got a smack in the ear for my trouble!

24. Weasel

Weasel

A 'glass "Willys"is kinda like having a blow up doll as a girlfriend....;)

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'll reply to that later...right now I'm too busy keeping sharp objects away from my "girlfriend"....lol

26. 63comet

63comet

Maybe so, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Corvette, or some of the OT Limey cars that are glass.

To drift a little... Is the Corvette the only originally glass HAMB friendly car?

27. There's things you can do to a blow up doll that no woman will tolerate :eek:

I know exactly what you are saying here.

If a person really really wants a Willys then nothing will come close to satisfying that want but a true Willys. Now if this same person wants a car with history then building one isn't gonna make it either. Enter the mega buck cars for the discerning owner who knows what he wants.

Then there are the guys who think a willys is cool and want to own the cool look or hold the illusion in their very own hand. Enter the fiberglass manufacturer business man filling a place in the market amongst the masses.

Personally, I wouldn't mind owning a FG Willis and would prefer that to being a caretaker of a steel one. Too much responsibility with limited fun paid for in bragging rights. Ill spend hours looking at a steel willys though.

28. I don't like working on the fiberglass ones, too hard to weld up the rust holes! JMHO

31 Vicky, if you find one that does tolerate it, it's going to cost way more than it is worth

29. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

At the end of the day a fiberglass car still smells like fiberglass out ln 100 degree heat.

30. Fedman

Fedman

HaHa, this is so very true! Good Point. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.