Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is with this place?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Zack Methvin, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Can anyone please tell why it seems to be accepted here to just delete someone's post without any kind of reason or notification? I emailed the moderators and still got no response. I recently made a post seeking advise/help in how to locate some of my Dad's old cars of which I have seen countless others on here make the same similar type posts. My post had nothing in it that any reasonable minded person would have construed as illegal, offensive or otherwise yet after I received a couple replies, the post just magically disappeared. Is that how things work around here? I made it crystal clear in the post that I am a retired police officer and thereby have enough brain function & experience with the law to realize I cannot infringe on peoples privacy. I was merely asking if there are any legitimate (aka, NON ILLEGAL) ways of tracking an old car down by VIN or LP#. Please explain to me the offense in that?

The only reason I am posting this here is because I cannot get a response from the moderating staff.

contesly and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  2. Were they Hamb friendly cars?

BTW,I am the KING of deleted threads,if it's off topic it gets axed. HRP

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Hahaha. Seems to be contagious here. I would have to ask the question in that case, what is on topic? I thought anything related to hot rods/classic cars was on topic.

4. Try here....these folks are all about the old cars....http://forums.aaca.org/

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Danny, you no doubt have heard this and can relate, there is a saying in drag racing:
    "If you don't redlight once in a while, you're not trying hard enough".

kiwijeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Why do I need to try there? I've been on here for a long time and see no need to look elsewhere. Just trying to understand why my post was deleted. Not trying to start a war. It has been my assumption that forums like this exist to help others with their projects, answer questions, give advise and so on.

7. Here are the rules,seems I have already pissed another member off today by mearly posting them.:rolleyes: HRP

RULES

8. Just trying to help you find your Dad's cars. It is a likely place to try. I have no idea why your post was deleted, but don't take it out on me when all I am doing is trying to help. I have had posts deleted in the past. I never knew why. I just go with the flow when I can. I am a member of the AACA and cars HAVE been found there in cases such as yours.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If you will read and understand the rules that Danny posted above you will see that the Hamb covers traditional hot rods and customs and that the cut off year here is 1965....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. shadams

shadams

I remember that 2 of the three were cars newer than what is allowed here. I also remember that most of the posts basically were saying there wasnt really any good way to do it that wasnt a privacy issue. The question seemed to be answered. Maybe?

11. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Then this one is out the window:
    "4. We cover traditional '65 and older American cars only. All other threads will be deleted. We don't cover rat rods, muscle cars, mustangs, or VWs." I see quite a few posts on here pertaining to rat rods.

My question was NOT year or model specific! It was merely asking what if any are the legitimate ways to track down an old car via VIN or LP#. I volunteered the info about the cars my Dad owned that I was searching for. I hate to split hairs here but again, my question was not year or model specific.

12. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

My question was not year or model specific

13. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

No worries, not taking anything out on anyone. Just saying I have been here on HAMB for quite a while and enjoy the help and advise but sometimes it seems to me that not all is equal based off the rules. I appreciate your offer of help for sure.

14. It could be my imagination, but it seems they've been cracking down extra hard lately. Stuff that would fly a year ago gets flushed.

I disagree with you about people taking kindly to rat rods though. Do you remember the pillow case-soap beating in Full Metal Jacket? Watch this next post and see what happens.

15. Hey guys. I'm almost done building my rat rod. '52 Dodge PU cab on an S10 frame with mud wheels. Do you think I should weld the skull onto the hood, or on the roof?

16. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

My reference was nothing more, nothing less that I have and still see posts on the H.A.M.B. the relate to "rat rods" whether directly or indirectly, that's all. The alternative to my statement would be that the term "rat rod" is relative. However, I feel that most of us can identify a "rat rod" fairly quickly.

17. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Sarcasm doesn't help answer my questions nor does it impress anyone.

18. True. The HAMB is no place for sarcasm. Sorry, I 'll stick to the facts sir.

19. squirrel

squirrel

No, this place is a lot more specialized than that. Traditional hot rods and customs.

Sometimes threads with general questions about off topic cars are allowed, sometimes they are deleted. That's just how it works. The mods don't catch everything. When they do delete threads, it's generally because they are off topic. It's nothing personal.

But to answer your original question...no, it's not easy to trace cars. I got lucky, I found one I sold 30+ years ago by googling the VIN. I was able to find it only because the car had been restored and offered for sale, by a company that included the VIN in the ad.

manx4me and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  20. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Thanks for your reply Jim. However, whether or not an admin catches it, how is that equally enforcing the rules? Just curious. I understand what your saying completely and if that is the case, I would appreciate an admin PM'ing me and very briefly explaining to me why it being deleted.
    Sometimes threads with general questions about off topic cars are allowed, sometimes they are deleted.

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am not the one that deleted the other thread but if I had seen it I would have because of the off topic cars. There are very few of us mods and we can't possibly comb through every thread looking for rule infractions. We rely on people reporting threads that stray off topic.

22. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

I am done with this concern. However, my original post was NOT year, make or model specific. It simply was not. Go back and read it. It was not until later that I edited it and clarified what the cars were which was still not my original question.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't have time to pm everyone that posts off topic stuff man... Sorry...

HOTRODPRIMER and Moriarity like this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I never received a private message from the Zach but if it was on topic. I would assist.
    If it was off topic I would reply it was off topic..

contesly likes this.
  25. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well the short answer is, it's not. So in that sense I guess it's kind of like a cop trying to catch every criminal? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.