Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is with people with cars that SELL their stuff?!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. offering half of an asking price is a verbal slap in the face , lucky you still have teeth just kidding sort of , but it is an insult, whether it is an honest apprasial or not, better to keep your yap shut an come back later, if it sits too long he'll drop his price -UNLESS your this local doorknob who was high priced for a incomplete JY dog 56 chevy 2dr hdtp in 1986 and STILL wants the same price now and it still is high priced only about 6" shorter as its rusted + sunken :rolleyes:, a joke is a joke LOl , BUT there are guys out there that go by that rule AND keep at it and NEVER score.

2. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

supply & demand. ask once & only once "what is you bottom dollar on that item" and either pay or walk away, don't whine.

3. Maybe the question should be what is it with the people who will give the outragiously high price when the car or the piece should be priced at half the price?

Hell, its easy to figure out why someone would ask what they ask, or even easy to figure out why they will hold out for the price. But why in the hell would someone give them what they are asking? Now there's something worth exploring.

4. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Agreed....If its overpriced they get to take it home again. I watched a dude load and unload the same 2 turbo 400 trannys for 3 years at every local swap meet. I bet he still has them.

Sometimes it works to your advantage to not have the money, more than once I had been saving up to pay a price on something and found it way cheaper, or even free from a buddy later. Patience can be a valuable tool.

5. Bob, it is no surprise that you picked up on the sarcasm, slight humor and minor serious note to my post. I appreciate the good words. The DrJ needs an evening at "THE FENCE", he has to vent more. I hope he didn't pound the keys on the keyboard out the bottom. PM is coming your way.

6. Must have been a full moon, a lot of people got cranked up on the other "WON'T SELL" post, thought I would go for a little off beat humor. You got it!

7. really damn shallow, if you lose respect for someone just because they have a different opinion. But, you missed the point entirely, anyway.

8. Another one that reads, absorbs, thinks.

9. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Do I get a cookie? Even though I'm an Ass Hole(self admitted). :D:D:D:D

Drew

10. I thought I pushed it. At least, you found it. Maybe, the only buttons are :"KINDA SERIOUS", "GETTIN SERIOUS, "SERIOUS", "REAL SERIOUS", AND AND AND "BLOW MY STACK, I'LL TELL YOU A THING OR TWO!, HOW STUPID ARE YOU?, SHUT UP AND LISTEN UP, DUMBASS!, SERIOUS".

11. I have considered your "do I get a cookie?" request. It sounds like an attempt at some sort of bargain or deal. After reviewing the insightful, indepth, inconclusive, in angst, in anger, incoherent and unforgetable replies to this post, I have concluded the following:
    1. I forgot to "SHUT THE FUCK UP"
    2. due to inflation, if I give you the cookie, it will only be a crumb. If, I
    give you the whole cookie, I will charge you $25.00.
    3. If, you refuse my offer, I will raise the price to $35.00 and cut the cookie
    in half.
    4. If, you reconsider and want the cookie, I will tell you to come back in a
    week, I will put the cookie outside, let it get moldy, stale and dry. When
    you return, I will tell you that you really passed up a good deal last week
    but, you can still buy the cookie, now an antique, for $75.00.
    5. If, you pass on all of the above "good deals", I wll not call you an "asshole"
    but, I will keep all the cookies for myself.
    6. Damn, I ate the cookie!!!!!!!

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

You certainly did...

13. something caught in your English Wheel, well roll it out there for all to see.

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'll go check if you want me to.
    In the mean time, lets get back On Topic.

15. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

OG, i like your style. set em up, let em stew then BAM.
    your shit is sick.

16. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Actually I lost respect for him for jumping on everybody else for responding to a drama post. Most of this stuff, especially 32 stuff is getting harder to find.
    Just so you understand where I am coimg from last year I sold a 32 sedan
    body all garnishes, windsheild frame, frame,radiator grille shell and insert.40 ford dash The body needed some work as well as the frame. I priced it at 5 grand and got an offer of $4500 kept the thge forty dash and let it go.
    I just picked up another sedan, was cheap but needs more work.
    If I were to collect all the parts again I would expect to pay more or fab them myself.
    Think prices are high now, wait a year!

17. Imagine. Actually this is a funny thread, cause to me it seems like the initial post was pretty sarcastic.

It makes sense to offer 50% if thats all you can afford... sometimes I will let something go if I am still making money on it and I am sick of looking at it. I finally sold my '42 Olds fender skirts to a guy for $50 last week. I paid $20 for them and carried them around like a year asking $200 trying to get half. On eBay they only got bid to about $40, so when the guy said $50 I said goodbye. He must be one of the 5 guys in the state with an Olds they'd fit, so I figured better that than me carrying them around to get beat to hell.

Heck if someone offered half on some of my cars I'd say goodbye too if they had the cash right there in front of me. Goodbye, good riddance. There's a couple I have a set figure on just on general principle, and a couple the prices are firm on because I don't care if I ever sell 'em, but thats it. Just all depends what it is, how interested in it I am, and what I think it's worth.

But people get bent out of shape over asking prices or offers sometimes. I've had guys offer 1% or 10% on stuff - thats insulting, like kick in the nuts insulting, and they shouldn't be surprised when I tell them to take a flying fuck at a rolling donut. It all comes back to opinion - if I think it's worth X and thats a good deal, it sells. If I think it's worth X and that's high, it takes longer for the guy who agrees with me to come along. If I think it's worth X and someone wants to play a game and see if he can get it for 1/3 of that so he can then go sell it for X, you have to outsmart them at it. A lot more work than it appears on the surface... but it's no reason to lose any sleep over. Sometimes it's funny to watch them get all excited 'thats 10 times what it's worth' blah blah...

Which is just like parts of this thread, actually.

My buddy, I don't always get his thinking. He's a top dollar guy, okay, but unless he just wants it gone it's never that cheap. Even when it is cheap, it's not that cheap. Had a guy offer money for a part, he told me to tell the guy another 25% on it, guy still hasn't written back. I can understand the stuff he doesn't care if he ever sells, like the '55 Chevy hardtop drag car, being priced sky high (in this case $10K), but some of the other stuff I don't get. Then there is still other stuff that should have sold about 10 times now and isn't moving, either. It doesn't always make sense.

18. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

You raise some good points. I guess I tend to price stuff to recoop my money more then anything and I get hot when somebody shoots me a half price offer. Maybe I should double it then smile and take the money when the 1/2 price offer comes in!

19. Thats one way to do it. You can always be like, "tell you what I'll make you a deal, you can have it for what I paid for it" ... then tell 'em double what you actually paid for it. That's one way to play the game back. But to me it's a lot less frustrating to figure, okay if I get X on this I'm happy, add 25% to that for wiggle room, and if X is enough they can offer 50% and I'm still ahead let it go.

I find when I look at other people's crap at a swap though I hate it when stuff isn't priced, so I try to put a price on everything. You know it's a bad day when the shit out on a tarp with a sign 'everything on tarp $1 each' is just laying there.

I did good to Auburn last weekend, I actually emptied out a box. Having that stupid car with me sure brought in the business. Too bad the neighbors are shitting themselves over it sitting here on the trailer, or I'd bring it to a couple more shows. That was pretty much the main reason I kept it here this long, that and coordinating a rollback to unload it with. Then again, there was a '57 Century 2-door in a lot better shape... and maybe if I get a couple more tarps and cover it up so the busybodies can't see what's actually on the trailer...

Material there for a whole other thread. Trouble is I live in a neighborhood full of rich pricks that want to look down their nose at ppl -

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Bobleed, you're very wrong if you think there's no passion involved in selling sheep.

21. 5window

5window

Right. I raise sheep and they are very nice animals.It's always hard to sell something that looks at you with big brown eyes.

As for bartering,I hate it. Tell me what you need for something. If it's right by me we have a deal,if not, I will walk away. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

22. Nads you little more than a PIMP. :eek:

Guess that's why I like ya.:cool:

No onto the 20 dollar fender skirts for 2 bills. In MO that would be considered aggravated sodomy. I can understand people makeing a buck or even makeing a living. But do you really need to send a kid to Harvard on every transaction?

Maybe OG was talkin' about you?

23. It was a HUMOR POST!!!!

The "drama kings" wet themselves and each other turning it into a drama.

24. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

hahahahahaha Nads rules.

25. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Funny thing about selling parts is that I usually see things going for twice as much on the HAMB classifieds as I can get them elsewhere. With that said I can also find parts that I can't get elswhere on the HAMB. I have just come to realize that you end up saving alot of money in the long run if you just step up and buy the parts you need, and in good shape. I have lost out more than once thinking that a price was too high, only to find out later that it was actually not bad. If I can even locate another one.

HotRob

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread has wandered off into irrelivance, suck it up, just because some don't like your sarcasm doesn't mean they are somehow deficient. The root word is sarcasm, to be sarcastic, you were looking for a response like this from them, cut the shit if you can't handle their responses.

27. now a senior "drama king" weighs in, all full of accusations "just because some don't like your sarcasm doesn't mean they are somehow deficient", another insightful conclusion or interpretation of some thing I didn't say. He did give a fine display of self-righteousness, "suck it up" or "cut the shit", the whole world must be waiting for his instructions on how to proceed thru life. And, of course, with his all knowing wisdom, "you can't handle their reponses", he can sense my suffering and deep angst as I read the responses to my initial post. Next.

28. There might be a lesson to be learned from Lenny Bruce here, that being that if you have to defend your sarcasm you loose.
    Face it, sarcasm is like humor if you have to explain it then it doesn't count.:rolleyes:

29. Gracie

Gracie

Boys are silly.

(old or young)

Actually, this posts proves the theory that people who spend too much time together tend to have their periods at the same time.

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

You started out mildly amusing.

Now you are just keeping the Drama going.

And I will do what I should have done a couple of pages ago...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.