Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is traditional for a mid 50's car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Just one more shot to let you see the 2 different directions I'm going with on the same year car. Kind of a his and her's thing.

Attached Files:

2. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin

I like to think of it as which car can I tear up town in, and which car would look the balls pulling up to a nice restaurant, you know-the kind you have to get ALL the grease out of you nails for.

3. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Now that would be something new. No grease around the nails? Is that possible?

Need to share a quick story with you twin and others that may catch this. I've pulled up to resturants in the custom and had people read the name on the grille. Then remark that they never heard of that make of car before.

Attached Files:

4. rixrex

rixrex

In 1965 I (and my parents) were very poor, I had the money that a carpenters gofer in the winter and a camp counselor in the summer made.. If your Olds were to look my 55 Chevy it was lowered in the front by whacking some coils, no front bumper,had some Crager? slotted mags(borrowed) in the front, black steel wheels and cheapo cheater slicks in the back, the body was completely dechromed except for the door handles and light bezels..I painted it 62 Cadillac Lime Gold as soon as I could afford a gallon and I had to put a set of cheapo bar and bolt type traction bars onnit because it wheel hopped so bad. Had the original red and white interior innit which really clashed with the paint but thats all I could afford..I had the exhaust pipes exiting right in front of the back tires because it was $10 cheaper than running them to the back bumper..Put the 210hp 327 innit and Hurst three-speed shifter through the floor, the rest was the stock six cyl. drivetrain, did high 13s at the drags and never broke anything in that drivetrain except wore out some clutches.. I would love to re-create that car but 55 Chevy Handyman two door sedans are hard to come by these days, the model I had was so cheap the rear quarter glasses were sealed in with no crank or regulators...

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

You want to recreate that car because in spite of all the problems, it was hot rodding at it's very core. Rather than give up because you didn't have all you wanted, you made all you had work. Had a 55 Chebbie 150 sedan too. I know what you mean about the rear side windows. Paid $150 for that one complete. Looked pretty much like the one from American Graffiti except it was white. But good memories for sure................... Thanks for the cool story!