Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this vintage toy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thepolecat, Apr 6, 2011.

1. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Any ideas? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. 61bone

61bone

Invisible womans toy

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thats like the girl friend stopping in mid action :rolleyes:

4. I suddenly hear Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" and seeing a little kid waiting for some Heinz to fall... :)

5. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

Stopping what :confused:

Cooking the tea :D

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

clear glass over a snowbank is my guess

7. Mutt

Mutt

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

this might get as good as the infamous "red x" thread. . . grab some corn and enjoy

9. jonly

jonly

it's exactly what I got for christmas when I lived with my dad. not really vintage.

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

11. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Yeah yeah yeah...none of you have ever gone full retard. Sorry all

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

nothing stamped inside???

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks like a '57 Chevy from CVS. $4.99. Got my 4 year old the Fire Chief's version.

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I have no clue The 57 is a definate ,Not sure on the coupe though but it is cool........

15. F&J

F&J

I don'T know where my cast iron toy book is, but I know I've seen that style before with the nickle plated grille, and white tires.

I'd look on vintage toys in ebay, there should be a section for cast iron toys to narrow it down.

16. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

[​IMG]
    More, this was in my grandparents house and they wanted to know if i knew what it was. I didn't but I was sure someone here would. I was having trouble because I am trying to do ask this from my phone.

17. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

[​IMG]
    Last one. And the 57 is my 1 1/2 year old s. There is a "custom GTO"wagon behind that 57. Ask of these she picked herself and I was so proud. When she saw pawpaws car he had she dropped ask others to go get that.

18. DustyBarnfinds

DustyBarnfinds

Okay, after further research and seeing the numbers, I'm starting to believe this is a Graham done by TootsieToys here in the states as part of their Jumbo series. The TootsieToy Jumbos were produced in the late '30's and were three to four times larger than the typical TootsieToy, commanding a premium price. In 1936, Graham Paige did a deal with TootsieToy to feature their cars, and a number of different Graham models were produced as toys, including coupes, sedans, and limos.

Be careful of what's left of the tires, as even tough they are degraded,they add value to the toy by being still there. If in fact, it is a TootsieToy Jumbo, it's worth between $50 and $100.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  19. Going to need the manufacturers name. I have a Richard OBrien Toy truck and car book.

20. Did Tootsietoy do the jumcos in cast iron? Anything Tootsie should have the brand name on it. I'm thinking Arcade or something of the sort.

O'Brien's makes a great and extensive book on early toys that should have the answer. Any of our local bookstores will carry it.

21. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I'd make a guess but I only collect dolls.

22. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Wow, thanks Dusty! They said there were more somewhere. I guess i'll have to hunt them down!

23. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

There is no mfg printed on the car.
    Mac- ill go look for that book tonight.

24. dont spend enough time in the shed judging by those clean hands you got...:D

25. DustyBarnfinds

DustyBarnfinds

My understanding is that the early Jumbos were cast iron and then TootsieToy moved to a stamped tin version that was slightly larger than the original Jumbos. Won't swear to it, as another toy collector told me that a few eeks ago at a show, but that's what I think is the case here.

The O'brien book is the Bible, but we'll need a manufacturer name for it to be of much help, I'm afraid. The numbers shown in the photos don't readily match up with anything I've got on Tootsie, so maybe Arcade or Kenton is correct.

What are the size measurements of this toy?

26. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Actually, the cast iron toy is made by Hubley in Pennsylvania in the mid-1930s. Tootsietoy never made cast iron toys, just diecast and they had more detail to them. The Tootsietoy Graham and Jumbo toys from the 1930s were alot more detailed than this. I think Hubley made this in two sizes and yours is the smaller of the two. Probably worth 100 bucks or maybe a bit more. Looks to be in nice original condition. Leave it the way it is.
    I don't think a woman would enjoy having a rusty cast iron Hubley , but maybe a Tootsietoy. Although I've seen some Rockabilly chicks that just might....

27. Found several almost identical coupes on the net with the same grill and front bumper. Yours is missing the spare mounted on the rear. My book has a Hubley 33 Ford coupe valued at $180.00 in mint condition. $90.00 at lowest. The book is over 10 years old so prices have increased some what.

28. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

This looks to me to be made by Hubley, circa 1935. I have not heard these called "Grahams'' personally, but I have heard them described as '' Hubley Terraplanes" These came in three different sizes with your's being the largest @ 6.4'' These were also available as sedan, top up, and down phaeton, roadster & tow truck models.

My top up phaeton, and tow truck examples @ 4'' were worth bout a ''C'' note each, a decade ago. Yours in passable to good condition, today-$250-$425-? Cast iron is kinda soft now & good deals are out there if you hunt them.

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

29. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

This is great info. Thanks everyone. I think my grandparents will be surprised and excited by this!

As for the dirty hands---- Well I was visiting so I really took some time to clean. Even did my hair. I was out working on my new OT truck though shortly before.