Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this tool for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Apr 16, 2023.

  1. I know the top of it is a slide hammer or bearing tool, a Proto 4056, but I can't find anything like the bottom of it. Solid metal and about a foot long, no markings I can find on that part. Looked at a lot of kits and parts in various eBay and other posts but came up empty. Maybe it's just so old and obsolete there's no pictures online.

    That's a standard card table the tool sits on, to give an idea on length.

    My thought was maybe some kind of tool for rear axle bearings but I can't figure the length on it.

    Attached Files:

  2. Budget36
    Joined: Nov 29, 2014
    Posts: 12,765


    Not sure, but a danged “skinny” pic when clicked on the thumbnail

  3. dalesnyder
    Joined: Feb 6, 2008
    Posts: 599


    It may be a type of bushing installer. Kind of the opposite of what we would use a puller to do.
    When you slam it forward it pushes the bushing in.
    Maybe for heavy equipment.
    rustynewyorker likes this.
  4. lostone
    Joined: Oct 13, 2013
    Posts: 2,691

    from kansas

    That's interesting, what if it works backwards? As in instead of sliding the weight back towards you, you actually slide it forward towards the tool end.

    If that were the case then it's a driver of some kind. ..

    rustynewyorker likes this.
  5. That would explain the lip and the pointed end.
  6. SEAAIRE354
    Joined: Sep 7, 2015
    Posts: 530


    With the tapered end you could put it in a smaller diameter tubing and use the tool backwards and put a bell mouth on the tube. It may have been something someone made up as apposes to a special factory made tool. I’ve gotten creative with stuff like that over the years.
    2OLD2FAST likes this.
  7. s55mercury66
    Joined: Jul 6, 2009
    Posts: 4,300

    from SW Wyoming

    Bushing and seal driver, for what is hard to tell. OD would determine what size, but the specific application could be for a Marine Henway 14 cylinder. Pretty handy piece for someone who needs it.
  8. Hotrodmyk
    Joined: Jan 7, 2011
    Posts: 2,283

    1. Northwest HAMBers

    How about a kingpin bushing driver?
  9. jaracer
    Joined: Oct 4, 2008
    Posts: 2,286


    The piece on the end looks a lot like an injector cup on a heavy diesel engine. It might be used to install them.
    Hotrodmyk likes this.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.