Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is this GM paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by polisher, Jan 24, 2004.

1. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

GM replacement dip stick tube, black stuff, like an enamel.
    I've tried every stripper I know, they won't touch it.
    So far they've made it dull.
    I know I can sand it off, but chemical strippers mean less polishing.
    I like that.
    Any ideas?

2. New dipstick tube?

Probably powdercoated, only thing getting it off is a sandblaster and a lot of patience. You would be better off sanding it down a bit and painting right over it.

BTW powdercoating makes for a decent prime coat on frames. Its flexible enough and adheres like crazy.

3. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Don't think it's a powder coat.
    I tried gasket stripper, that normally eats powdercoat,
    Turns it into rubbery stuff you wipe/pull/and peel off.
    This stuff won't do anything.
    I can sand it off real fast, but it has a bracket fitted and that is a bitch to get at.
    Got to get it naked or the chrome won't take.
    Frightened to burn it incase it hardens.
    I might just sand blast the tricky area but it's thin,
    chemicals are best if I can find the right stuff.

4. jdubbya

jdubbya

More than likely it is e-coat, or electro coating. The stuff is put on all of the new vehicle dip sticks and is the same as the stuff that comes on new GM fenders. My shop that I work for deals in tubing for GM, and they require most of our parts to be e-coated. Heating it will take it off, but will leave a nasty residue, best bet is to use a sandblaster or hot tank it. You may be able to wire wheel it and take it off, we do that quite a bit at our shop. -Joe

5. Ah chrome, now I get it.

I have had powdercoats get real stubborn. I occasionaly have someone powdercoat a frame before they bring it in for me to install a front suspension or something. I have even seen some dorks powdercoat thier polyurethane bushings, they never took them out of the four bars!

I still say powdercoating given the latest EnviroNazi restrictions on manufacturers. I have gotten new engine pulleys and brackets that are coated with similar coatings.

6. Its probably a water base coating -bake dried.does any one remember the old red primer chevy used on 37-39 cars? that schit would stain into the metal and if original aircraft stripper will strip paint right down to it- AND STOP!it has to be DA'd off.......