Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this? 2-Speed Rear End?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

On a 46 Ford Super Deluxe. 59106675-770-0@2X.jpg

2. 42merc

42merc

It's a Columbia 2 speed rear axle conversion.
    A Ford dealer installed option from 1934 to 1948.

Blues4U and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Columbia 2 speed, huh? So how did these work out on the road? Were they more of a gimmick, or did they actually work well and allow higher road speeds/lower engine speed? Do they allow split shifting, or are they basically only used once in 3rd gear? Are they robust and reliable, or problematic?

I used to drive a Ford F800 with a 2 speed axle, which gave me 10 speeds overall if I split shifted it, which I usually did.

4. trad27

trad27

Columbia two speed. I have one in my roadster and love it, recently drove to Viva and was cruising along 70-80 no problem with my '39 box torque tube and 265. Not really known for strength at all but had mine bullit proofed by John Connelly, still not super strong but not toothpick either. Originally vacum operated Wich is hard to find and complected system but made mine all mechanical and works great. If more of a budget build a 5 speed is the way to go but traditional and works great.

5. trad27

trad27

You can split all gears but no real avantag in a light car, I just use mine for overdrive in third gear. I have 3:78's and in overdrive it's something like 2:9?'s if I recall right. You don't want to lug them shifting too early or uphill, I guess bad for them. I often leave mine in overdrive if it's a quick stop light and just take off in second but my cars light also

scruff likes this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, Columbia. Was also found under Auburns too. Not a true hot rod part. Shift-on-the-fly at the wrong time and it's expensive:eek: I never had one, just what the old-timers always said, but hot damn they look kool. The controls are worth as much as the axle for Lincolns. Not sure about the Ford stuff, probably the same. A vac switch and speedometer drive are part of it, then a vac "motor" on the front of the axle. Tons of info in a google search as to what's brand/model specific and what will interchange.

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

OK, so I assume the 2 copper lines running through the dash here are the lines connecting the control inside the cab to the motor on the axle?
    Columbia 2speed2.jpg

8. I also live in Southern California, which means somewhere between Bakersfield and the Mexican border. Whenever the subject turns to Columbia's there is one name that always comes up, Dan Krehbial. He can be reached at (951) 302-5922. You might want to contact hm if you have any questions or need work done.

Charlie Stephens

Blues4U likes this.
  9. trad27

trad27

I'm not too familiar with them in stock setup. I assume those are the vacum lines that go to the switch and controller. More of a vacum diaphragm that pulls/pushes shifting linkage on the rear than a moter. There is also a mini two speed transmission I guess you would call it that goes on your speedometer cable. Those aren't as hard to find because trucks with underdrive have a similar set up you can just reverse for overdrive.

10. jeffd1988

jeffd1988