Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this????????? 1954 Chevy steering doohickey?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ttarver, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

I am rebuilding the steering on my 54 Chevy. When I got the idler arm removed I found what looks to be like a "band-aid" fix for removing slop in the joint. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Could it be an old aftermarket part that was used instead of having to rebuild the center link?

3. theamcguy

theamcguy

It was a commonly available in the late 50s early 60s. Auto Parts stores used to have a card of them up on the wall behind the counter. You are right they took up the slop in the idler arm. If I remember correctly removing the idler arm on these early Chevrolet's required you to raise the engine. This was a fix that reduced the repair to mere minutes. I bought a 54 Chevy in 1975, had a loose idler arm and my Father-In-Law told me about the fix. Naturally the Auto Part stores knew what I was talking about but did not have any in stock. A trip to the local junkyard and I scored one on the first car checked. They all had them.

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

could be that you are right.

Mine did not have that. And it was not a big job to rebush the arm and do it right.

Frank

Edit, I did remove the arm and bracket on my54 and did not raise the engine.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

5. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Hmm that's what I figured! It only took about 20 minutes to get the idler arm off. I do have a sbc in mine though. The balancer was pretty close but I was able to get a wrench on it no prob. A 235 may sit closer to the crossmember.

Mine had a ton of play in it even with this thing on there. It's not that hard to just fix it the correct way!

Thanks for the info everyone!

T.

6. lucky53

lucky53

Ha Ha!!!

That's so funny!!! I did the same thing when I rebuilt the steering arm on my car. It had the same type of thing on it. And I did not know what it was.

I rebuilt my steering arm with a kit from Kanter and then put that old " Easy Fix" thing back on just for the Hell of it.

Attached Files:

7. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Ha, cool! That one is a little different than mine. It's interesting to see that there were apparently several different versions of this fix. Mine has a bearing in the bottom!

8. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Mine looks like that too.. Hell!! I thought that was stock like that because both my car and my parts car has it lol

9. I'll tell you what it is!!!

...it's the part I need to fix the sloppy steering on my '54! :D

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Attached Files:

11. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

You learn something everyday round here.....I haben't had a ton of 54's (2) and neither ran/drove before, during and after i got them but neither had those on em....

very cool....i think?