Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this 10 bolt carrier?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Got a 10 bolt GM rearend thrown in on a deal with an engine I bought, it's definitely not open, spins the wheels in the same direction back and forth, but I can wiggle one side back and forth a bit before it grabs, doesn't feel welded. I can see spider gears in it so apparently not a spool. Has 4.11 gears, was mounted into a '50ish Dodge truck last, no idea what it originally came out of.

I can't find a picture anywhere that matches this carrier, my Pontiac Safe-T-Track carrier has visible clutch springs in the window, this one only has that one little tiny window, nothing on the other side, no visible springs, and no casting numbers I can find.

Can anyone identify it? IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2583.JPG

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like an 8.2" early Camaro with an aftermarket locker type posi unit, since you cant see any springs and there is a joint down the middle. If that is the case, there should be some code letters stamped on the top or front of the RH axle tube

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  3. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I thought it might be one of those weird mid 80's ratchet limited slips in an 8.5, but my memory of exactly what those look like is thankfully fading.

4. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yup, sure looks like an 8.2
    [​IMG]

5. derpr

derpr

Does it have C clips to hold the axles in? A Pontiac would not where a Chevy would. Could you show the cover?

6. squirrel

squirrel

take it apart!

7. Squablow

Squablow

I found the stamping on the axle tube, looks like HX P356 Not sure what it means yet, but I'm checking.