Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What is the quintessential American GT-C?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 12, 2015.

1. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quintessential? Maybe not, but I sure like the way these look!

64 Hawk halibrands.jpg 64 Hawk 2halibrands.jpg Avanti halibrand1.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  2. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

That's a tough one. I think my 2 favorites are the 63 Riv, or My 300b I had in the 70's and early 80's
    [​IMG]

3. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Then I thought about this, It just doesn't get any better.
    sorry for the crap internet pic.
    [​IMG]

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I think "GTC" I think mid-sized, personal luxury, space for "just enough" stuff, horsepower, improved handling, style, horsepower, enough gauges to keep the enthusiast informed, a degree of exclusivity if maybe upon introduction only should the package prove popular and profitable, horsepower...did I say horsepower? Cuz we gotta have that too. I'm thinking the parameters were spelled out fairly well even though the choices were limited and of course had to be American. We Americans are a fussy bunch and want it all. If we chose the best of the breed from across the pond to lay out what a USA version would be, or become, some of those mentioned could have easily made the list. My #1 pick should come as no surprise since Mr. DeLorean's ideas were heavily influenced by some of Europe's best. Not just in name either. Some real elements of Euro style found their way into earlier luxury liners that he was involved with. I'd never bag on a 63-5 Riviera, and perhaps it size and weight were derived from what many were still hungry for back then, big and luxurious. It only 'looks smaller' than it really is: (from Hemmings)

[​IMG]

But this really was sized just right and had the nuts too: (also from Hemmings)
    [​IMG]

It went the way of the muscle car and left a permanent impression on the American car buyer, but I always felt it was a "GT" in every sense 1st. Other than stopping power it did everything that a true GTC should do. I agree with almost every choice made in the whole topic, the original choices and those added by reply, as honest contenders for GTC status. The definition of quintessential, "of the pure and essential essence of...", well I guess that says more than any ad copy could have.

And yet with all of that said: (from a google image search)
    [​IMG]

I guess the Caddy's cousin can't be left out either. Talk about GT status, the 1st gen Olds Toronado:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Anderson likes this.
  5. On topic; the Riviera.

Off topic; Facel Vega HK500 which is kinda american since it's Chrysler powered.

facel vega hk500.jpg

6. wheww....wee.....300B's and Jet Thrust powered Studes......can it get any better.....

7. The problem with trying to apply European standards to 'Murrican cars is that the basic parameters of that car is different depending on the terrain. Imagine going from Paris to Rome: You have lots of mountains to get through, so handling is extremely important for making good time. Out here, the smoothest, most billowy ride is preferred because there's A Lot of straight between, say, Indianapolis and Denver, or Dallas and LA. You want a different car for that trip than you would for a Cincinnati-to-Atlanta blast. I'd want the Chrysler for the Plains trip, but something totally different for the "Apple-chain" mountain run. Unfortunately, the US manufacturers thought that slapping sway bars on mid-size cars was the answer to soft-and-billowy (see GTO and 442), but it really wasn't. Was it a good try? Sure, but not enough. American GTs in the '50s and '60s? Hard to come close to a Facel Vega or Jensen Interceptor or Ferrari Lusso.

From your list I'd go with the Mark II, then the '65 Riv, but I'd also put the Pontiac 2+2 (make mine a 421 tri-power with a 4-speed, please) and Avanti in place of the GP and Studie, and throw in the first Toronado (although it's out of the HAMB era) for good measure.

Great topic!

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sounds like a lot of the cars of the 70s up to 87ish to me,(especially 73 to 77) like the long nose montes,grand prix,cutlass, thunderbirds, cougars,lincolns, chrysler cordobas and dodge manums not to mention others.

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm wit choo, I love Chrysler 300s. I'd be equally happy with a '55 or a '56. I don't think they're properly GT cars, but so what? They're just bitchin'.

10. ken bogren

ken bogren

Looking at the list, I'd go with the 55 Studebaker Speedster.

But I'd be a lot happier with the 63 Avanti.

11. Squablow

Squablow

I had a 300-L, neat car with a 413, buckets and console, ect, but it was a giant, even in it's day. Compared to the European cars mentioned, it just seems too big. The GTO seems like a way better fit, more appropriate size, not bare-bones by any measure, very fast and sporty good looks. I'm biased because I love A body Pontiacs, but that gold one pictured above, hot damn, that's a good looking car. The Rivi is a pretty car, but I'd take the GTO over the Riviera any day of the week.

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My first thought before looking at the list, was 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk followed by the Avanti. Since neither made the list, by default my vote falls to the 55 Studebaker Speedster. I have always liked the first Rivieras too.

dana barlow likes this.