Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What is the 'perfect' '35-'36 3-window chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Surf City, Apr 4, 2018.

1. I have to agree with you there - it could do with a bit more out of the rear window. Looks slightly disproportionate to the side windows.

Scanned the R&C feature this afternoon...

evans36-1.jpg

evans36-2.jpg

I'd love to see a side on shot of this one.

Bear:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Bear! Here´s a sideshot of mine. 3 inches from the A-pillar and 4 from the rear.
    [​IMG]

3. D.Conrad

D.Conrad
    1. 1940 Ford

I kind of like a 2'' chop. '36 all done 007.JPG

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Sorry, Bear.

I thought it was just right but never bothered to document the specifics... duh!!!

I wish I had.:(

I'm honored that you and others liked the car. It was a sweet one but the firewall was set way back.. had plenty of room for anything yet interior still had plenty of room.
    Al

chryslerfan55 and Surf City like this.
  5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamtown Al,

My '36 3w has no chop and the windows are out of it. I can give you any measurements you'd like and you can check your car against those figures, if you'd like. Just thought I'd offer.
    -Bob

6. Thanks for that Kenneth. Great to have some 'real' numbers to compare.
    Looking at that pic I would have sworn you had taken the same amount front and rear. I guess it's the way you moved the rear of the roof back to meet the body -gives more 'crown' in the rear whereas the 'more slice in the back' type chop usually tapers the roof off. It's amazing how changing one element can affect the overall look of the chop
    Yours definitely has the traditional 'Calori' look!

I've been busy re-reading yours and Kipp's build threads....

chryslerfan55 and j hansen like this.
  7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

TagMan,
    Thanks for the great offer but sadly I no longer have the car.:(
    It was another of many keepers that I didn't keep!:eek::D

You might want to take a few pictures and record a few measurements as an aid to others that got a car that was already chopped and are trying to figure out just how much and where so they will know and also can share with others on this thread. A kind of "public service"... or should that be "public reference?";):D
    Al

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Another 'purple' one. 3" front and 2 1/2" rear chop.

36Fordleadslead4or-vi.jpg

choppedpurple36.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    akoutlaw, chryslerfan55 and j hansen like this.
  9. Hey Lon, does this one look a little better?

20180505_185438 (2).jpg

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Is this a trick question?
    JMO, But your building a mild '36 3/W custom, mild being the key word to me.
    Stock back window would be "out", heavy hot rod coupe chop would be "out" so your stuck with something in the "middle'. The problem I have with the Brizio built chop (on page 3) is it reminds me of a '30-'40s Chevy coupe back window, once that stigma was stuck in my head I replied that I hated the back window. Hate was to harsh of a word to use, but it turned me off. I understand this is all personal taste that varies with each person. Since you asked, the back window on the coupe above would work for me with another 3/4" to 1" taken out of the middle of opening.

Surf City and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Actually, kind of a trick question! A real observant guy may recognise some of the background details.:D

This one has 2 1/2" vertical (3" of window height) taken out of the back window, and the opening has been moved around an inch closer to the beltline.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  12. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

Fan of the calori coupe chop personally.. was thinking it was almost the perfect mix of custom and class when studying my hot rod mag.. always thought the car could have been greater with a different cap and tire treatment.. thumbed threw my mag and all it said is that The top has been chopped 3”...

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Not the perfect chop but someone chopped the back of this 35 3 window and made a pickup out of it. I noticed that they mounted the Model A body backwards on the frame also. :confused:
    WP_20180508_17_58_59_Pro.jpg

14. In progress, 2 1/2" front and 3 5/8" rear measured vertically. Rear pillar section cut out and relocated to avoid pie cutting rear pillar.

20181031_194954.jpg

modelkitbasher and j hansen like this.
  15. Nice work, interesting approach. I like the amount of chop, but personally like the pie cut rear pillar look better........takes some of the "bubble" out of the roof and looks a little more swoopy. But that's just me.

Keep us updated please.

16. Interesting that you say the pie cut chop takes some of the 'bubble' out of the roof - I actually think that moving the rear pillar section up and laying it forward does just that, and is the reason I did it that way.
    The picture I posted above probably doesn't show it off at it's best, and it seems that particularly with the very curved '35 - '36 roofline, the camera angle can tend to 'trick' your eye.

In an earlier post I compared the Rusk and Bello coupe rooflines, and said that (in my mind), perfection may lie somewhere between the two.
    Now that I have the main portions of the door top mocked up in place and can get a better comparison of the profiles, I'm thinking that I'm actually dead on where I want it to be.:cool:

choprusk.jpg

20181114_223857.jpg

chopped14 (2).jpg

There's still a long way to go to finesse the lines, and I know that my metalwork is never gonna' reach the level of these two, but right now I'm pretty bloody happy with the overall look!:D

17. And now, with the door top stitched back together, I think I'm there! (apart from all the work left to do:rolleyes:)

20181125_193110.jpg
    As this thread has shown, everyone has their own opinion of the 'perfect chop" (or noto_O), but I'm happy to say that the lines of this are as close to my vision of perfect as I could get them.:cool::D

Now I just need to focus on all the small stuff....

20181125_193159.jpg