Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What is the 'perfect' '35-'36 3-window chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Surf City, Apr 4, 2018.

1. I've been studying these for a looong time and come up with several favorites. There are so many variations on the theme - in fact there are probably no two exactly alike.

calori.jpg

36_JackCalori.jpg

36maroon.jpg

chopped16.jpg
    chopped5.jpg

ruby7.jpg

ruby6.jpg

Pics of your favourites are very welcome, especially if you can provide details of how much front and rear, and any other specifics of the process.

The Hollywood Hot Rods Ruby Deluxe is definitely a standout, although a bit too radical for my personal taste, but probably my two favourite chop profiles would have to be the Cole Foster build for Kirk Hammett...

foster36-5.jpg

rodriguez.jpg

foster36-6.jpg
    And more recently, the Mike Bello '36...

chopped14.jpg

bello36-3.jpg

The irony of my attraction to these ones is the fact that the last two started out as 5-windows, and the Ruby Deluxe used a whole bunch of sedan pieces to get that roofline!

I've almost got it figured out how to achieve the same look, starting with a 3-window roof, but any info from those in the know would sure help to put my mind at rest before making that first incision.

Everyone's gonna' have their own personal taste , some will obviously prefer the more traditional style chop over the more swoopy 'Zephyr' profile, but it would be great to see any and all Ford '35/'36 3 window chops, ideally with details, to be able to compare the different looks achievable.

Let's get into it!

Bear:)

EVL401, tr_rodder, akoutlaw and 10 others like this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my opinion, only cars that look awkward stock are are good candidates for a chop. Shoebox Ford tudor sedans are in that group; '36 three windows are not.

3. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

For me, jack caloris is my favorite, getting ready to chop mine

Surf City and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

All those pictures are great. 5-6 three windows look bitchin chopped,five windows not at all. At least in my opinion.

36cab, Surf City, B Bay Barn and 2 others like this.

5. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

IMG_0669.jpg IMG_0681.jpg IMG_0649.jpg IMG_0663.jpg I love this one. This is what I want to base mine on when I get to it.

EVL401, wutnxt, tr_rodder and 9 others like this.
  6. I like the look of Jack Calori's chop; it retains both some of the distinctive door window shape along with the rear slope of the turret. Seems to me that, while neat in their own right, most of the "modern" ones go too far in reshaping everything.

47ragtop, Surf City and RMR&C like this.
  7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

The chop is only part of it.. What they do with stance, tire and wheel combo along with other mods are to me equally important...

8. Personally, I like a more subtle chop over a radical one on most cars. This '36 I built has a 2 1/2" chop all around......

DSCN0747.JPG DSCN0749.JPG

EVL401, tr_rodder, A Boner and 19 others like this.
  9. williebill

williebill

All the cars pictured are drop-dead gorgeous, every one of them. Beautiful.

clem likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

A 36 3-window can be two different styles of car. Either nose down or tail down. The chop should match the rake. The straight chops seem to produce a slightly forward slant, more evident when the lid is lowered than at stock height. But if the car is going to be tail down, I think the chop needs a bit more removed from the rear. Not enough to make the back of the roof lower than the front, but enough to level the window. Like the Calori coupe.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My first 'complete' car was a '36 three window. My close buds were chopping their cars, (brothers Pat & Mike Donahue) so I naturally followed suit.
    I was 13, so "more was cooler"...5" out of the front, 6" out of the rear. Looked great, until I fitted the door tops...OOPS! Windshield frame told the same story. Lesson learned...

12. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

This was one I owned in the late '70's and I was told that it was done by Gene Windfield. It was chopped 3 1/2 ".
    36 3 window in b-ville 76.jpg 36 3 window in rod run 76.jpg

13. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is mine with a 3 1/2 in. chop. 2015-10-22 21.46.47.jpg

EVL401, bobbooth, tr_rodder and 12 others like this.
  14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Well this stage in your build should produce some sleepless nights..................................

Surf City likes this.
  15. These cars never used to be on my radar until I got old.
    I have included these cars in the list of my favorite Fords (32-36)
    Not quite as pretty as a 33-34, but damn close!
    Don't get me wrong 29-40 are all nice.
    It's a fender thing, I like hot rods fenderless.
    35 & up really don't lend themselves to this.
    I could learn to like fenders.

Surf City and Atwater Mike like this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

1935/36 chopped 3 windows are my new favorite Fords...

Surf City and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. oldolds

oldolds

Those are all nice cars. I personally don't think they are a car that "needs" to be chopped.

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

zero inches chop

Steves46, 47ragtop and TagMan like this.
  19. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Henry got it right - why mess with it

20. Manuel Reyes' 1936:
    [​IMG]

EVL401, tr_rodder, Cheeta and 18 others like this.
  21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Get it running, live with the stock top look for a season and than ask yourself if you need a chop.
    I changed my mind, Sancho that's perfect!

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

To quote an elegant troubadour from the movie 'Rebel without a Cause'
    "Well, we have to do something, Man..." -Buzz Gunderson

Surf City likes this.
  23. I know what you're saying. Any modification should be an improvement to the look of a car, and sadly sometimes they're not. I've got used to the look of my '36 sitting there at stock height, and there is not a lot wrong with the original profile, but then every time I see a nicely chopped one, I go all weak at the knees!

TagMan likes this.
  24. That epitomizes the traditional '36 chop. Does anyone know exactly how much was taken out of the lid? It almost looks to me like they have taken a whisker more out of the rear pillars as the 'taper' doesn't seem so pronounced in the side window. Sometimes that can be all about camera angle tho'.
    Very similar in appearance to Manuel Reyes' recently finished coupe which was chopped by a couple of other Kiwis, Geoff Mitford-Taylor and Steve Morrow at GMT Huntington Beach.
    I believe that one was cut 3 inches all around?

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm not sure Henry was a hot rodder and hot rodders chop tops.. I will agree 35/36's look good either way...

Surf City and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Roadsters are so much easier to chop and they need it as opposed to the coupes.....................

Surf City likes this.
  27. And if you f*%k it up you've still got a roadster. I guess if you f*%k up a 3-window you could end up with a roadster too....:D

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  28. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

They look best unchopped .

TagMan and bathcollector like this.
  29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I have no dog in this fight but looking at the photos I will say less is more in my opinion. They are beautiful cars.

Surf City likes this.
  30. JEDI363W

JEDI363W

I am laying sleepless going over this topic as well. To chop or not.
    The Norwegian Blacksmith 36 is great too. Did not start as a 3W. Eastbay speed and custom are chopping a 3W right now. Looks great as well. Although I keep coming back to the subtle chop by Donn Lowe on 50Frauds old 36. This subtle chop is what I am going to aim for in case I proceed. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

EVL401, tr_rodder, Cheeta and 7 others like this.