Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the most reliable aftermarket wiring harness?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frankenchrist, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Frankenchrist

Frankenchrist

I'm looking to finally replace the wiring harness in my '64 Galaxie 500. I want to install a keyless system. I've looked at painless, EZ2Wire and several others. Any opinions?:D

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i've heard good about painless

3. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

I seem to have tried them all over the years and Painless Performance is the best, not only from the time you take it out of the box, but if you have tech questions, they are great to help out. Besides they are at most big shows...support those that support what you do!

4. I like Painless but read the manual a couple times before starting as it is a little confusing at times. Actually their manual is available on their web site, so read it before deciding to buy...

Y-Blockhead

5. Cataldo

Cataldo

Hands down, used there universal Muscle car kit in my Camaro some years ago, and it is as good as wiring gets.

Jay

6. Drive Em

Drive Em

I like Ron Francis wiring kits. I have had too many problems with Painless wiring.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd vote for the Ron Francis wiring but I haven't had my hands on any of anyones newer kits. I walked up to his/their booth at Plesanton a few years ago and he was in the booth answering questions himself, no flunkie or hired sale guy standing there.

I think it best comes down to which kit has the features you need. And as mentioned above, who will answer the phone and who will give you answers when you run into a problem.

8. JAWS

JAWS

This is what I do for a living. I have used most all of them at one time or another. Each one seems to have something the others don't have. For your application, you're gonna need a universal harness as I don't know of anyone making a specific "kit" for your car.

I have my favorites. :D
    I'll say this much, you get what you pay for. The cheaper the harness, the lower quality the product. Just because it isn't seen, doesn't make it not a vital part of the build. The wiring will make or break a project.

Do your homework and ask the manufacturer what they recommend. I will give you this heads up, almost all kits are designed to mount the fuse panel under the dash relatively close to the column, some even say behind the drivers seat, that they'll reach. In my experience they all fall short in wire length for the main wires for the turn signals, hazards, horn switch, all of the ignition wiring for the switch that runs to and from the panel, headlight power, tail/park light power feed, radio and a/c/heat feeds. And only by a few feet does this negate a non-spliced run if you want the fuse box in the trunk. I have contacted them. Ron Francis said, "if you need longer wires, just ask when ordering your kit" Painless said nothing, no reply back. The others were just as helpful. American Auto Wire is a great company as well and great customer service, like you would expect most of the larger manufacturers to be.

I hear Rebel Wire makes a good kit, I haven't use them yet as they are sorta new. They are an advertised company here on the HAMB. Might give them a scream as well and maybe keep it in the family.:D

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me. I'd love to help.

9. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Rebel wiring harness, hands down!

Glenn's a HAMBer and is willing to help with any and all questions and it aint made in china, etc....

PM him, his handle is glenn33

10. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

kwik wire makes a good quality kit for the money.

11. skidsteer

skidsteer

Don't pinch pennies here. Painless or Ron Francis.

12. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

I've used them all and have found that I like the American Autowire harness the best. It's cleaner and more customizable(is that a word?) then everyone elses. It's cheaper then Ron Francis and the quality is just as good, or better. I really dislike a harness that is prewired, it gives you limited options to route wires cleanly and usually has many you don't need.

13. butch27

butch27

I think American Auto wire has a replacement for your car.

14. Chad s

Chad s

The big plus for Francis/American is that the fuse panel is seperate. Mount the panel, and then start running wires one or, a few at a time, from any direction. This is going to be much simpler than having a fuse block out of the box with big heavy coils of wire hanging off of it. That can be a real headache!

You spend a good deal more buying the seperate panel and wire kit, but the overal quality and ease of installation is worth it.

15. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I would have to say Affordable Strreet Rods kit in Great Bend KS I've used several of them and they are top quality, as far as tech support you can't beat em the owner Rich Fox and his wife will always help you. Rich has wired so many cars he knows the answer to the question, Always! Very good people to work with! A+++

16. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Enos Custom Components...hands down the best. It's not "paint by the numbers" so you may actually understand what you've done after you're through. 805-544-8503. Ron Francis is good too, but it is "paint by the numbers".

17. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Painless. Made in the U.S. of A. Color coded and numbered wires, decent install manual, and real live people that answer the phones. Some of their harness' are easier to install than others...(trunk mount still kicks my ass) but a quality piece overall.

18. studenut48

studenut48
    from Hanson, Ky

Well, i have wired several street rods in my time and i have used several brands over my years. Painless and ron francis were good when all this started, and for the most part they still are, but you are also paying for the name. Ez wire when they started, sucked, but has gotten better. Autowire i only used once, it was ok, nothing really negative to say about it, nothing good either. The worst i have seen, J.C. Whitney. Did some work for a tight wod who had a 30 ford 4dr. He bought the harness from J.C. whitney and every thing was bass awkwards. Of course it was made in japan.

Also recommend i easy book for wiring. how to wire a streetrod. I have seen them from yearwood and southern street rods. It is a small orange covered book. Really basic easy to understand.

19. REBEL the only way to go.
    Glenn is a super guy to deal with and quality is second to none.

20. Frankenchrist

Frankenchrist

Hey guys, thanks to all of you for giving me some more great ideas! It's great to get back and see that my question has been answered. Later HAMBers!:D

21. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Here's one for EZ2Wire. I've had it in my 55 for almost 3 years now with no problems. Easy instructions, ALL wires labeled exactly where they go and less than half the price of Painless.

22. Dirty2

Dirty2

The best is one you do yourself .

23. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

affordable street rods- wiremaster panels are great!
    if you have questions, just call, Rich is the owner, builder
    and tech department, not just the person that answers
    the phone. give them a try, I don't think you will be sorry

24. autoartistry

autoartistry

I agree,Rich's wire kits are top quality.
    Mike

25. Mudville

Mudville

Used a Ron Francis in my 51 Chev. and it is great. Tech support is outstanding!

26. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx

I've used a couple in the past and built the harness for my custom bike. The Rebel harness I just put in was very high quality, well marked and had good instructions. I'll definitely use one in my RPU when I get that far. AND he's an alliance member. Support these guys when you can!

27. Weasel

Weasel

My buddy is a former GM Development Engineer, ASE Master Tech and long time hot rodder. He is as professional and meticulous as it gets when it comes to wiring and he swears by American Autowire. We use their multi-way quick disconnects so that if you need to pull the body at any time you do not have to rewire the whole car.

28. Painless has a vary nise product. The first one i installed took one day, start to finish. These are vary good kits for the first timer.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

I have used 'American Autowire' on my last 6 HotRods, and love them. They are engineered correctly and have everything you need + great instructions.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  30. Dan1955

Dan1955

I used a Rebel Wire harness on my model a. It's an 8 circuit. The guy that makes them is great to talk with. If you have any problems he will amswer them.