Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the frame of choice for Model T build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys1330, Sep 15, 2009.

1. willys1330

willys1330

Picked up 26 T Roadster Body. Which frame works better a Model A or 32 rails? Pro's and Con's of both. thanks pk

2. Model A will bolt on, the '32 needs work to make it fit.

A few guys, like Moose, have documented their efforts, here,
    to mate a Model A body to a '32 frame. I assume a T would be very similar.

Depends on the "look" you are going for.

If you wanted to channel the body, the Model A is frame is shorter, top to bottom.
    The '32 frame is taller, and as wide as the body, which would allow a dropped floor,
    to get your head out of the wind.

3. :rolleyes:Henry liked the Model T frame under the Model T.

4. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Amen!

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The reason he did was he built it to articulate over the unpaved, rutted roads that were the norm of the day. With todays roads and the flimsiness of the T frame it's better to have a more solid foundation under your car. We have suspension components, tires and braking systems that were only a dream back then. Even being "traditional" in our approach to hot rodding shouldn't make us slaves to EVERYTHING that's old tecnology. We forget the origional hot rodders used updated parts and methods to make their cars faster and safer.

Frank

6. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Frank, its my experience that with today's roads, the "flimsiness" (ability to articulate) of the T frame is a non-issue. Today's roads are so smooth (even with the potholes) that it is irrelevant. Of course, you can't go crazy with too much of a torquey motor in a T frame, though.

This same horse has previously been beat to death in other threads on the HAMB. But, I would like to point out that Skip's ("Royal Shifter") T has a boxed stock T frame, IIRC. Maybe he can weigh in on the issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  7. Do a search to see every opinion needed- this has been covered and argued ad nauseum.

A T frame will work fine, if you feel the need, box it. If you really want some extra metal under your butt, use a TT frame. If you want, you can put an A frame under and a '32 frame with some tweaking looks great as well.

If you're still undecided... build some intestinal fortitude and make a decision:rolleyes::D

8. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Mac, as usual, you have the best advice!

9. Did you like my little synopsis as well:D?

10. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Yes, indeed.

11. trad27

trad27

It really depends on what direction you want to go, what your expectations are for the car, and what kind of drive train. I used a boxed A frame under my 27 T, bolts up with little to no modifications, looks good and, works for a period car.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I agree with trad27. A lot of the decision would come from what engine you plan to run. Blown 454. '32 rails would seem the minimum. Mild flathead four. T rails in good condition would work. Need more advance planning here.

13. and going how fast with a stock motor ??

14. I'd never use a T frame under a hot rod without heavy modification. By the time you've done what you need to to an original T frame you could have built a much stronger frame from rec. tube or a set of new '32 rails. Sure, it can be done but why make things hard on yourself. As for the OP's question. I love the way a '26 or '27 looks on an A frame and if I were going to run an A Model engine or even a hopped up overhead Model B banger I wouldn't even bother boxing it. But, anything I want to go down the highway in at speed with a V8 is going to get a good strong frame under it. Just my $0.02.

15. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I think a '26-27 roadster on Deuce rails is a killer combination, but might require more effort and investment than you want.

If you have fenders, a Model A chassis is a good start, but as indicated above, the amount of power you are putting in is a big issue you will have to decide before you get too far. Some modified or reproduction Model A chassis can take substantial power, but don't plan on adding seven hundred ponies to a stocker.

Lots of talented vendors (many of them on the HAMB) have frames that will give you a fast start on your project. Lots of it depends on how you want the car to be.

Please keep in mind that, in general, it is better to have more frame than you need, rather than visa-versa.

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Look at the speedway catalog. I used their 26-27 roadster frame under my 27 coupe and it worked great and was cheap...Not the T-bucket but roadster frame. Channeled my coupe down over it and was fairly easy to do...

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

2x3" box tubing on my T coupe.

18. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Check out the pictures of the early track roadsters like Phil Weiand's, Jack McGrath's, or Jim Rathman's. A "T" on '32 rails is, without a doubt. the sexiest look there is (was).

19. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Without a doubt??? To your eye, maybe. Just call me Doubting Thomas. I'll take the look of dirt track T's from the Thirties on rectangular T and semi-rectangular A frames over those any old day. I'll agree that, yes, there's a few T's that look good on highly modified (pinched) Duece rails, but most look goofy.

20. there is a 32 frame in the classsifed section, well atleast it was in the classified section, that was already pinched for a 26 27 t body, and i think it was like 1500 or so

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A Model A frame is a simple and traditional solution. Make up an X- or K- member and/or box the rails depending on what drivetrain you'll be wanting to use.

22. a.y1320

a.y1320

I used a model A frame for my sedan. No regrets