Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the COOLEST Looking V8 you would have in your HotRod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 27, 2004.

1. mr.midnite

mr.midnite

while all the aforementioned motors are cool in their own right, for me it's hard to beat a multi-carbed Hemi like my little Dodge

Attached Files:

2. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It's got to be a Nailhead....... and what can beat the 4 in Showboat????

[​IMG]

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The prettiest, neatest, most symmetrical V8 ever used in a hot rod was the nailhead in Ivo's T.

Attached Files:

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Wasasedan, I agree with your choice too. Navarro's and Beatty's blown flathead race motors were pure evil, and I hadda have one in my '36.

Notice how good Barney's engine looks, even with no shiny stuff anywhere.

Attached Files:

5. bootie

bootie

i wanna see a rolls royce merlin powered T
    i think any motor thats had a bit of originality and a heap of chrome looks good
    anothe options the toyota/lexus v8 they look good all chromed up other than that theres always a bbc - this one just needs some polishing and chrome

Attached Files:

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

7. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Not to sound anal or anything, but... I did see some stuff I just gotta comment on!

1)Harrell Los Angeles, that "324" you have has #14 371 heads on it... 'ya sure it's not a 371, or does it just have the 371 heads?

2)Wingnutz, those aren't factory finned valve covers on that Marauder engine in the red car. Those are VERY RARE Moon covers. I have only known of a couple pairs that have come up for sale ever, and I was searching for them. One pair went for a lotta $, not sure about the other pair. The Marauder covers I believe were also aluminum but they looked different. I think the fins went the other way--laterally-- and they have an M on them (unless I'm thinking of the '57 Marauder ones which were different since those were on 368's instead of 383's which is a different engine). But the ones in the pic are Moon's.

3)55olds88, '57-64 Olds rocket engines also had "too many tubes" on the exhaust [​IMG], nothing wrong with running dual centers and split-port late heads unless the period-correct early '50's look is desired. More power is a good thing. To tell the truth, I think even the '56 #10 heads had separate center exhausts. Pretty sure, as I've sold several pairs and have compared them to the #14 and #16 heads.

4)FlatErnie, that Allison V12 on eBay is a LOOOOOOOONG way from meeting any kind of reserve. I have been told that the cores for those are in the 10's of thousands of $$ [​IMG]

Now, I gotta say, there are some PRETTY engines here in this thread! WHHOOOAAAHHH

Tommy, is that a Studie or a Packard? I forget which had all those wingnuts on the valvecovers.

CharlieLed, that Caddy looks a lot like an early hemi... what kind of Caddy engine is that???? [​IMG]

My personal project is getting a blown 394, I think the Olds rocket engines are just so nice looking, especially the 394 with 5-bolt valve covers.

But I like lot'sa engines. Hmmm... injected DeSoto hemi, proportions would be just right. Anyone got a pic of Gene Adam's old JF'r? He had one.

Ummm... yea, blown 354 hemi is also one of the prettiest. I like these with finned aluminum valve covers.

Another very cool engine is a Potvin-blown one, either Olds or hemi. Sorry, the SBC's don't even look cool with a Potvin [​IMG]

Sheer outrageous V8, I'd say a blown Ford SOHC.

I also like Ardun's, I'm not sure if I like blowers on them or not though. Not sure about proportions. Maybe injected, at least for prettiness?

Hmmm, nobody's mentioned the Olds 215 as being good looking. It's valve covers lay over a lot like the early Olds rocket and not like the Buick 215's which look like nailheads.

You guys are going to kill me, but I happen to think a BBC looks really good with the stock-height polished die-cast smoothie aluminum valve covers that look a lot like the factory shape, only cleaner for some reason. I don't know why.

Poncho engines can also be really nice looking. I like 'em with Moon valve covers. Anyone have any Eddie Hill Poncho pics?

And last but not least, flathead Ford with finned aluminum valve covers, maybe Edelbrock script, or maybe some rare head like Navarro. [​IMG]

8. If moneys not an object it would have to be a miller.

Attached Files:

9. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

10. I would actually love for my Kaiser a Rocket 303, something small and simple like that, or a fully pumped up inline six for my car. Bore it out, blueprint it, split exhast and make a dueal carb set up for it, and get that supercharger for it...

11. racer5c

racer5c

ahhhh hell with it somebody help me find a NOVI

12. tomslik

tomslik

DrJ, seems to me he had a moser-headed sbc in it.
    could THAT be what you saw?

you guys are ALL fucked up!
    coolest engine HAS to be a Neon....... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    never rusts, always low milage and all that black paintable plastic, what's not to love?
    plop it in a pt cruiser and man, you got a hot rod!

oh yeah, somebody already did it....

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Blownolds, the Packard V8s didn't have center bolt valve covers, they're arranged around the edge, and there's like 8 of them.
    The Packard engines used in Studebakers and Hudsons had the same style valve covers.

14. titus

titus

i like nailheads and chev "w" motors,
    here ny naihead in my 32 five window, i have a 348 for my 32 tudor but no pics yet

Attached Files:

15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

A Cosworth Ford Indy engine.

16. NAIL...

Attached Files:

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    What is the COOLEST Looking V8 you would have in your HotRod

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know but I'm just about fed up with this bastard!

Attached Files:

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

19. Stone

Stone

[ QUOTE ]
    Novi

[/ QUOTE ]
    What exactly is a Novi.I've never heard of one before.

20. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Fab32, I had also heard mcmullen ran a cammer in his roadster at a point. I even hear the only car that could beat it with it was the stone woods and cook gasser, and even then it was a close race. That roadster must have been scary fast! [​IMG]

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

[ QUOTE ]

What exactly is a Novi.I've never heard of one before.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Novi Racecars were Indy Roadsters.
    Raced from '41 to '65, with different Chassis ( FWD, RWD and Ferguson 4WD ).
    Andy Granatelli owned them in the later years.
    From what I have read and heard they sounded fantastic, and were very powerfull ( almost 750HP in '64 )
    In the Pic that I posted, the Supercharger is not mounted.

22. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Ummm... how 'bout some exotic race engines, ones that are somewhat forgotten, like the McGee quad-cam hemi?

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

What happened to those?
    I remember reading about them.
    Didn't they get outlawed?

Did anybody ever put one on the street?
    Were those Heads solid or water cooled?

24. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

For traditional it would have to be a Hemi. But the absolutely coolest V8 I ever saw was a Hispo-Suzia(sp?) aircraft engine from the early teens. There used to be one in the Indian museum in Rapid City. It was from the first airplane to come to town flown by aircraft legend Clyde Ice. Air cooled with exposed valve train and lots of polished brass. Or how about an early Gurney Westlake Ford Indycar engine I also remember a 32 roadser in a mag a few years back with a Maserati V8 that was woodsville

25. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

[ QUOTE ]
    a cadillac flathead, because they are so cool with the exhaust pipes coming out of the top of the block.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, I agree! Here´s mine. Exhaust and manifold aren´t ready yet (and colouring and finishing of course). It will end in my 27-T-Tudor! So cool but so damn heavy!

Attached Files:

26. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

Up to now I've enjoyed all the choices, good stuff I like the v-8 motor and am a whorder of them. my favorite will always be the Hemi's small medium and large.
    I have in stock a couple cads, buicks, over 20 v-8's in all. but I am really excited with the 54 lincoln [​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

This 354 has a modified manifold and will look better with 6 rochesters on it [​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

Yep-Cammer. FO-MO-CO baby!
    -Crew

29. KustomSkylark

KustomSkylark

215 Buick stroker completely polished with offy finned covers and four downdraft webbers.

30. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

64 Olds 394 or a 348 tri power

[​IMG]