Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

One of the shittiest cars ever, bar none. Yes they have a following now. When the communist East German system collapsed they drove them into the West and just abandoned them en masse by the side of the road. It was a real problem. 3 cylinder two stroke engines - yes, had to mix oil with the gas like an old Lawn Boy mower. The body materials were made of compressed wool and cardboard.

2. As for "the best reaction" driving around in cool vintage car(s), well, there's been more than few that would qualify for top honors, including many unexpected occasions leading to intimate physical activities with previously unknown representatives of opposite gender.
    Different cars, different occasions, different reps, some in, some on, some near the car(s), all long ago, all good times. :)

3. Not really the best reaction but when my step mother first saw my T bucket she said why do you have that ? so you can look funny driving down the road ?

vtx1800 likes this.
  4. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

5. 3340

A well known financial man here in Ohio pull up next to me at a red light and ask what it was worth, then said I must have a very understanding wife.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Teenage egos are always looking for “pats on the back” or some kind of recognition. Running out on to a giant football field with your friend’s calling out your name is/was a big deal. Being introduced at a school assembly as you walk out onto the stage is priceless. Someone yelling your name when you are finally allowed to run out on the basketball floor to bring the ball up the court. You can’t buy those moments. Thank goodness for high school friends.
    upload_2018-9-27_4-33-38.png
    I already had my 58 Impala featured in the high school newspaper, but the 1940 sedan delivery was always overlooked, except for the drive-in restaurant cruises on Friday nights. As far as my first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was concerned, it was a true form of surf transportation for an up and coming teenage surfer.

Surfing was one of those sports that should have been in high school competition way back in the early 60s. The surfing craze had already hit So Cal and was a booming social phenomenon. (although our varsity football coach kept telling us that surfing was not a high school sport and we should concentrate on football... like football isn't a 50 year, after high school, continuing sport activity.)
    upload_2018-9-27_4-46-37.png
    We had been driving the sedan delivery all over So Cal coastal areas in search of great surfing experiences. People would wave when they saw the “racer orange” (true color was salmon pink, previous owner’s nighttime mistake…) sedan delivery cruising to those spots from Santa Barbara to San Diego.

But, the best reaction from people (fellow surfers/surfer girls) was the accolades of being a “famous surf star.” When we drove the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery to a local surf film being shown at a huge, college auditorium, we were able to drive right up and find a rare parking spot in front of the service road. This was the long line up for the ticket holder’s entrance to the latest surf movie from Bruce Brown… “Surfing Hollow Days.”
    upload_2018-9-27_4-46-18.png
    When we got out of the sedan delivery, everyone looked at us like we were royalty and asked if we were in the movie. Sure…of course. Then one of the girls mentioned that they liked the cool, red surf wagon. (at least she did not say it looked salmon pink…!!!)

The 40 delivery played its part, the local surfboard shop t-shirt, Levis, Rayban copies, and sandals added to “the Look” for this scene. We walked up to the door and the girl taking tickets said, “Can I have your autograph?” What????

Jnaki

Wow, those were the days of being happy-go-lucky teenagers in their own world, while the outside society was pounding on most everyone. We were getting noticed, having fun cruising, surfing and being acknowledged as … “Almost Famous.” (One of my recent favorite movies…)

We thought that the outdoor parking scene was fun… When we walked down the auditorium aisle to our seats, people stopped and looked to see if any surf royalty was in their presence. It was like the walkway to the Academy Awards… One of our friends was with his group and started clapping as a funny moment… Boy, that started something (a big reaction) in that auditorium. Ha Ha… Royalty…sheesh…

We were just local teenagers having some So Cal fun while still in high school. But those moments are forever ingrained into our memories as "Remember when... moments."

dan griffin likes this.
  7. When I had my 69 Lincoln pretty much every parking lot or gas station I was asked if they could open the back door !!

With all my cars a lot of thumbs up and “ wow, you actually drive it?”

Best reaction was my 53 Chrysler, at a bar sitting on the patio and a older gentleman was walking around it and looking, finally asks who owns it, I saw I do. Asks if it’s for sale to whitc I chime in “ everything’s for sale make me an offer”
    He offers about 4X what I got in it and I yell SOLD !! Just like that done deal, drive it to his house the next day and we exchanged cash for the keys..... I miss that car as it was a perfect original car, but it was so clean and original I could not bring myself to do anything to it except maintain it, so it’s better off with someone who can appreciate that.

Frankie47 likes this.
  8. Earlier this summer I pull into DD for a small coffee and a chat with friends who gather there with their hot rods every Wednesday afternoon. This small appearing but well dressed gentleman, early 40's maybe, follows me inside and asks me if that's my car I just walked away from. I'm driving the 32 roadster. Next question he throws at me is a surprise to me. He asks me what I get for gas mileage. I respond I don't really know as I have never checked it, I don't care what it gets and I further tell him I didn't build the thing for gas mileage, I built it for fun. Now he starts verbally abusing me for driving a gas guzzler (In his small mind) and how irresponsible I am for using an inefficient Cadillac engine. I didn't have the heart to tell him it's really a SBC. Why waste oxygen at this point. He keeps rattling on and on how inconsiderate to the environment I am and so forth. As he stammers on and on I finally move away from his small impish frame and tell him in expanded detail how every time I start my roadster's engine another Prius dies. His blood pressure hit the rev limiter. Some people just don't get it. IMG_1891.JPG

9. dodgedifferent2

dodgedifferent2

I had my 67 dart in primer and rolling around my small town. It's a 340 stroked to 418 with some overly worked heads. I randomly get on it on occasion to test the shifter and clutch.
    I entered the car in our local car show. I was checking the other cars out and on my way back I heard one guy telling his brother. "Do not under estimate this car. It looks like hell but man does it fly." The guy was a neighbor and has heard it idling with it's very lumpy cam.

Another time I was out after getting the dart painted and everything reassembled. So I went for a shake down run. I went by the school my 10 yr old daughter goes to and noticed they were on recess. My daughter had seen the car in color but didnt know it was back together. I stopped and hit the line lock and watched her jumping up and down with major excitement. Looked like every kid was watching. I dumped the clutch and left a few black trails. Every kid was cheering. My daughter was famous that day because her teachers were asking who I was. She proudly said "my dad in Dartie"

vtx1800 and Hivolt5.0 like this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Other than the typical liking of a mid 50's car, I've gotten a lot of guys sayin' "I broke my cherry in the back seat of one just like it".... Best is when a women says it and it's happened more than once...;)

11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I love Priuses. Passing them at WOT is fun.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Promises have to kept. So two years after buying the body of my Model A from the widow of my co-worker, I stopped over at her house on a Sunday afternoon an we went for a short cruise. There were tears in her eyes when she said that we did a good job and here late husband would be proud. Kind of makes it special. I know it's my car....but it's still his car. Gary

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    clem, charleyw and David Gersic like this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yup. "Because Fuck You, That's Why." Best answer, and they will usually take the hint unless they are especially stupid, which is a possibility.

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long before cell phone cameras I bought a '35 5 window ford body in Scio, Oregon that had been used for dialing in a scope prior to hunting season evidently. I brought it and the fenders home on a trailer and parked it out front of the house while I ran inside for a second prior to unloading my treasures. When I came out of the house two of my neighbors were adding their crap to the trailer "since we see you are heading to the dump anyway"... o_O

282doorUK, clem, Nicholas Coe and 8 others like this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff. LOL
    For some reason, this old thread came to mind. Actually, I hunted up the thread because I suddenly remembered one of the more interesting reactions I got.

Years ago, driving my big gaudy roadhog 1951 Buick Roadmaster 2 door hardtop Riviera. I was in traffic on a main six-lane. Far left lane, slowed down and stopped behind cars waiting for a traffic light. Nice day, windows open.

To my left, on the other side of the road, were three teenaged gentlemen. I didn't notice them until they started singing...
    The freaking Happy Days theme song. And being quite animated about it.
    "Sunday Monday Happy Days...
    Tuesday Wednesday Happy Days..."

Idiots...
    Hahahahahaha... :p :D

Edit:
    Just realized, I told this story twice in this thread.
    First post was in 2011 and that road was a four-lane.
    NOW it's a six-lane.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Best reaction I've gotten was also somewhat embarrassing, and left me speechless too. I'm sitting in traffic in my little Austin gasser, and a import car with a young guy driving, and his girlfriend in the passenger seat pulls up on my left. We're sitting there waiting for traffic to move, and just as it begins to move the girl shouts out, " I love your car!" and as I look over smiling she's got her shirt pulled up giving me a full frontal nude shot!
    I was caught speechless, and they both started laughing as they drove away. Thought of all sorts of responses soon after, but too late then!

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I was driving my Track Roadster one chilly day, on a 4 lane hi-way, and I saw out of my peripheral, a car hanging back. When it decided to pass me, it was some young kids with the passenger window down, giving me a BA. Lucky I didn't have a BB Gun, as I would like to have placed a BB in the pipe !

Nicholas Coe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ha!
    Hey Billy, were any of those bullet holes of the 22 caliber?
    My hometown was within riding distance from Scio and my grade school pal lived about half way there, I used to ride out there on my bike with my new Mossberg 22 and we would walk the railroad tracks and "sight in" our rifles.
    One time we were out there plink'n away and this farmer came racing out there across the field in his old truck and just about shot us, (he was pack'n), said we almost shot his wife while she was hanging up the wash.:eek:

19. 62rebel

62rebel

Anymore I don't give two shits what people think. I have stopped offering my opinion and not accepting any criticism from walking assholes.

olscrounger likes this.
  20. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Just Changed The Cam And Intake On My Coupe When 2 Of The Neighborhood Kids Came In The Shop And Asked Me How Olde My Car Was To Which I Replied 80 And One Said: "This Could Explode And Kill All Of Us"!!!...

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Note to self:
    Clean coffee off keyboard.

22. Koz

Koz

For the East Coasters that are familiar with the area, I was heading off the Atlantic City Expressway onto the Garden State Parkway, Exit 7A, in my roadster. This takes you to the South Jersey shore points and I'm convinced the old exit, before they redid it a few years ago, was designed with a hot roadster and a straight axle in mind. You can't help but get on it as it was banked just perfect! I was running close to 80 on the Parkway entry ramp and looked to my left to see a New Jersey State Trooper right beside me. I'm sure he saw me coming onto the exit and paced himself to run up on me.

I acted like I didn't see him and got out of it and back to something close to the speed limit hoping for the best

I couldn't take it anymore and finally made eye contact. His mirrored sunglasses were locked on me for sure. He gave me a big "thumbs up" and nailed it down the Parkway. Cool cop for sure!

23. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I was going to a car show in Colorado, going west on I 70. Nothing but fields as far as you could see. There was no traffic at all so I was hauling ass. All of the sudden I hear a loud roar on my right, scared the hell out of me. Looked out the passenger window and saw a old Bi-plane keeping pace with me, at eye level with me. We both smiled and gave each other a thumbs up.

24. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

"That thing is quick". After I blew the doors of a 912 Porsche.

Nicholas Coe and Phoenix24 like this.
  25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was out driving my 49 Chevy Tin Woody. A guy in a late model Audi got out of his car at a stop sign and came running up to my window. He said, "What kind of car is this? It's amazing!" :D

26. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My better halfs father collects Lincolns. His pride and joy is a 47 Continental Convertible, her favorite is the 60 Convertible {mark 4?}. We took the 2 of them to a car show not far from his home. The show had a huge turnout
    as word had gotten out A TV show was covering it. We parked the 2 Lincolns and a 62 Cadillac Convertible pulled in behind us. The 30 something driver got out looked at the 60 and said I thought my car was big!

He bought the car in 63, was their only car for about 18 years, though he usually had a demo as he sold cars.

27. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I was getting gas in the ‘64 and this old lady pulled around the front, rolled her window down and growled at me. At first I was WTH? Then I remembered the plate on the front and laughed all the way home. Lol. Randy

IMG_0184.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Will you take $3200 on $3500 ask - today - going to a father son for a project....I slipped the dad a $100 back when his son wasn't looking.

29. Someone told me I wasn't old enough to be building cars like he had built back in the day.

30. brianf31

brianf31

The best reaction I get is when I let a kid sit it the driver's seat. The grin never get old.