Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Is The Best Jack To Carry In A lowered Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gahrajmahal, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I finally installed the carpet in my trunk last night so I had to unload all the junk back there. I came to the bumper jack and realized I would never want to use it on my expensive rechromed bumper. So today I did a search to see what you all recommend to carry with you. Since I did not find a post here is mine. My car is low enough in front that a standard floor jack drags when you push it under the cross member. I just put my bottle jack back there for now with a piece of plywood to set it on. So what do you recommend? Junkyard or purchased, cost no object, safest is best.

2. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

ive been using a scissor jack i pulled out of a small car in a salvage.its pretty low when cranked al the way down..

3. I had a lowered OT car (68 Cougar), I used a bottle jack and made a couple u shaped plates out of some scrap steel to pickup specific frame locations and keep the jack from walking off the frame. I also kept a jack stand in the trunk, it worked out well because the bottle jack stored inside the A frame of the jack stand.

4. mac762

mac762

I use an aluminum floor jack. I think it was a little over $100 or so. AC Delco. Make some low profile ramps (out of a few boards) to drive on to get the jack under the car.

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

jack daniels .......... I've got some old jacks that might be able to pad. Those scissor jacks just don't crank high enough for me .
    lmk

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

A Jack with big arms,and long hair.I heard that Sampson got his strength from his hair.May work for Jack too. Sorry ,I just couldnt keep that thought to myself.

7. Scissor jack and/or some angled blocks you can drive up on to raise it enough for a jack.

8. Some scissor jacks get WAY up there. Look around at different ones.

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

10. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

Used to use a bottlejack on my rock crawler instead of the hilift. I suspect in many instances it would do well with the hot rod too. Just lift off the axle housing. Though with the front, might have to find another spot

11. pitman

pitman

Just cause I had them around, the late '98 or newer VW scizzor jack works w/a u-saddle to pickup the frame. It's lightweight, and low height.

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I have to deflate the tire and raise the frame as high as possible to let the rear axle fully dangle (and also unbolt the top of the shocks) in order to fish out my rear tire. I suspect it would be difficult to even accomplish on the road unless I had my full size floor jack and jack stands with me.

Our Shelby Mustang came new with NO SPARE and NO JACK. Instead, it has a lightweight "slime" kit and a 12 volt inflator (by SVT Ford Racing) in the spare location.

Since I have air ride on the Chev, I have added a "T" quick disconnect, and I have a coiled yellow 20ft plastic hose with an inflator tool on the end. In addition, I carry two cans of slime.

It may not be the best solution, but (except for extreme situations) if it works for a factory Ford, it will work for my old Chev (famous last words I am sure...)

Below is what the lightweight kit looks like in the Shelby factory tire tray (minus the spare tire...)

Attached Files:

13. Gary DeVore

Gary DeVore

I went the simple way......I carry no spare so.....I don't need a jack! I do carry a can of stop-leak. Gary

14. Chevy Astro vans have a jack that gets low and goes high.

15. Lol, in many places out in the desert or the mountains between the deserts, the cell phone doesn't quite reach AAA. :mad:

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Jack-in-the-Box is pretty good!

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Salvage yard scissor jack works for me. I remember a few years back someone was selling a pretty nice one, deisgned for low stuff, like 12 inches of lift, and folded down to 2 inches thick at the smallest. Cant remember who it was though.

18. Abomination

Abomination

I've heard junkyard 80s+ Camaro/Firebird jacks go really goddamned low, and are almost a freeebie item (if you can find one).

19. rivguy

rivguy

I use a small import car scissor jack under the front bumper mount to raise the front high enough to get a floor jack under the front A arm or rear trailing arm. One of those small hydraulic floor jacks can be used to change a tire. The small import scissor jacks aren't strong enough to completely lift a 50's60s or 70s full size car. (I've seen them bend sideways and collapse). Making the pair of low ramps out of some 10x2 boards and carrying them in the trunk is a good idea. If you need any special tools to remove your hubcaps or wheels, or to protect your lugnuts or whatever, be sure you have it with you! The tow guys will not always be aware of how they might damage your car, it's best to direct them. It is really difficult to pull a really low car onto a car carrier without scraping up the undercarriage.
    In the unfortunate event that you are transported out of an injury accident, or for medical reasons, or even worse, an arrest,you are really out of luck. The cops will call the tow truck and I have seen some cars sustain a lot of unnecessary damage. They will usually release the car to a passenger, but if you are on the freeway it will usually get towed. It pays to think ahead.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  20. Weasel

Weasel

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I got a new, low profile scissors Jack at PEP boys, just in case I need to get under the car for some reason (I have no spare!). I also pack a blook of wood to use as a jack stand and a can of fix-a-flat. Since I put a Schrader valve on my air ride tank, hopefully I can fix my own flats! (or a friend's!). Gary

22. I have a jack I carry that's like an old-style bumper jack, but has a low J-hook on the end. Would need some rubber pads to use on a nice car, but it goes low enough I could use it on a car that was sunk right in the ground. Has a long worm screw down it and you crank the top around. But I don't think they make them anymore, I'd seen one in a catalog and wanted one and stumbled on it so cheap at a swap meet I didn't even try to get the guy to come down.

Now for the beater I carry a Wal-mart small floor jack, which does a good enough job, but it's about 4" or so tall.

23. BangShiftChad

BangShiftChad

24. CedarSpeed

CedarSpeed

older dodge dakota had nice scisor jacks the raise pretty high and are pretty compact lowered ,i used to use it on my lowered truck u can also get a small floor jack at a parts store i put both in a duffel bag in the truck of my car now
    raise the cross member enough and then use small floor jack. hell put it in an old suit case along with some extra belts n such and nobody will even know you have it.

25. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

WELL since I don't carry a spare, I have to call for help. Just hope the cell works or a HAMB comes by that would call when they get to a cell phone area.

26. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

they sell aluminum low profile floor jacks. take the "cup" off and you gain another inch lower

27. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

No spare here!

If I were to carry one, a scissor jack from a Honda or other small cars would work good.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it all depends on the rig it's self. On my 48 I carried a small bottle jack that I used to raise the front end up high enough to get another jack under the front A arms. I carried a variety of jacks over the years from sissors jacks to the ones like the mid 80's Camaro style cars use. If you have a pocket in the frame for those to fit in they work pretty good and as someone else said are cheap.
    I picked up one of those HF 3000 lb aluminum "race" jacks the other day that is lighter then hell and the handle breaks down into two pieces so the thing is easy to store. that will probably be the jack that goes in the 48 from now on along with a couple of wood bloocks and tire chocks. It won't lift anything much heavier but it should lift one corner of the 48 ok.

29. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I like the looks of that exhaust bag jack. I think that might work for me. Wonder how tough it is regarding placing under a frame with various sharp spots, brackets, etc. Interesting.