Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best coating for a car trailer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Mar 12, 2010.

1. selohssa

selohssa

I bought a new tilt deck car trailer two years ago. It is already rusting. I bought a bunch more tie downs that I am going to weld on and then I am going to repaint it.

What coating is there that will last at least ten years? I am not concerned about cost so I am thinking of aircraft, industrial, or fire arms coatings. Colour is not a big issue allthough if I had a choice it would be blue or black.

Any help?

2. carbuilder

carbuilder

Rustolem hold up well & is tuff. Danny.

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Hammerite brand paint..It contains glass fibers and is super tough and long lasting.
    If you go with gloss black it is available in spray cans for touch up.
    Works on rusty metal ( kind of like por 15 ? ) You just have to remove the loose flakes..
    I learned about this stuff from a food processing plant..Been using it for 15 years or so with great sucess.
    The only draw back is it is not cheap !
    It will cost more than just plain paint, but will last WAY longer.
    Dave

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Imron paint. Used in the aircraft industry. Resistant to everything. A friend of mine painted his baja bug with imron. He uses it to demonstrate how resistant it is. He pours brake fluid and battery acid on it, then wipes it off. It still kept a shine.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010

5. Nik

Nik

What about Rhino-Lining? I see guys use it on the interior of their cars and sometimes the exterior of 4x4s.

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

"industrial" Imron is available for about $50.00 or $60.00 a gallon.....

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Have a friend who is doing his trailer with bedliner. Seems a good choice to me.

8. 59 brook

59 brook

tractor supply paint put it on with a roller i think it is implement or tractor paint. believe it was oil based. used their red oxide primer first trailer looked awesome then covered it with black with the hardener additive. 2 years now sits in the sun all day and still looks good touch is easy spray can or brush

9. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

ive used Hammerite on several rusty trailors that i used for my buisness. Never saw the rust again. i would make an alteration wire brush it and touch it up. i liked the fact that it has a fan tipped nozzle. makes it great for laying it on.

10. roddinron

roddinron

X2 ^ Don't be fooled into thinking rustoleum hammer finish is the same stuff, it's not. I've been singing the praises of Hammerite for years!
    http://www.masterchem.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=42

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

We used bedliner on the deck of the trailer for protection and traction. If it was damp out, the deck was real slippery - the bedliner made it safer to walk on.

12. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

ive used Hammerite on several rusty trailors that i used for my buisness. Never saw the rust again. i would make an alteration wire brush it and touch it up. i liked the fact that it has a fan tipped nozzle. makes it great for laying it on.

13. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

If color isn't an issue I would galvanvize it. It will last 20+
    years no problem. My nexts car hauler I build it's getting galvanized.

14. Hal_396

Hal_396

What about just plain undercoating?

15. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

industrial paint has been working pretty good on my brothers car trailer, and it ends up hauling more than just cars

16. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Trailer paint is notoriously cheap...almost like an afterthought to the manufacturer. There's no reason that any good automotive paint shouldn't last as long on your trailer as it does on your car. Start with a good DTM primer and build up from there.

17. Area56

Area56
    from Oklahoma

I concur, if GassersG is talking about the DuPont stuff (Imron?). Get some chassis black, some fisheye eliminator, and mix some hardener in there as well and that shizzle is tough and fairly inexpensive.

PITA to sand when you're ready to repaint though.

Edit: It's a single stage. No clearcoat, and you can lay a high gloss final coat. Here's a link: http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/b/imr/home.html

18. Powder coating would be another option if there's a shop with a large enough oven in your area.

19. 8-Track

8-Track

I would have it hot dip Galvanized. you would have to strip the paint off to do it, but when it is dipped it will cover the inside as well as the outside. I have had car trailers done in the past for under $500.00. that is about what some good quality paint materials would cost and this will last longer that the trailer. I checked and there is a couple of places in edmonton canada that can do it for you.

20. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

We have a company in the town i live in that does electrostatic painting, its almost like powdercoating but a different process. They do bigger projects, mostly big truck frames, excavators, dozers, construction trailers ect. If you can find a place in your area that does it, the paint holds up to abuse very well and is more affordable than powdercoat.

Here is a link to the company in my town, it explains the process and has some pics of the finished product www.arcpaintingco.com

21. spray it with POR15. That stuff wears like iron and loves rust!

22. Where is the Hammerite paint sold?

23. selohssa

selohssa

I never thought of galvinizing. I will look into it.

I have used imron and endura industrial finishes before and they last a year or two and the rust starts coming back.

Does anyone else have any top quality sugestions? I am not concerned with price and I love trying high tech coatings. Any aircraft or military coatings that you can think of?