Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best Buick Nailhead Motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pistnbroke, Aug 21, 2010.

1. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

If you should decide to run a stick in your car, quick time makes a scatter shield that adapts a Muncie or a top loader to it.
    Two things they don't mention in the discription are they are NOT Sfi approved, the fly wheel is enclosed in the block,only the clutch is housed in the bell.
    And the other which I found helpful is the clutch fork can be installed in either the drivers side or the passenger side.
    I used a early Chevrolet forged fork and made a bracket for a slave that allowed me to put it on the passenger side.
    It gets real tight on the drivers side with the starter,steering box and the clutch linkage.
    Every little bit helps.

2. runaway

runaway

I have a fresh 364 never fired with 4 barrel for 2000. Can ship. 5412180249

3. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Dude Toners post is 8 years old.

Hnstray and zman like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

An old post, I know, but I think the poster meant the Super Turbine 300 (aka ST-300), which is a 2 speed automatic, but is not a Powerglide. It does have the switch pitch converter like the ST-400. Also used in Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles.

Ray

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

See above post. I answered that one before I came across your later post. Just to reiterate, Powerglides never were not installed in Buicks and , most definitely not behind 401s.

Ray

6. John Stimac

John Stimac

Love my 425 IMG_6211.jpg

504640, williebill and Deuces like this.
  7. The nailheads mounted at the front of the engine and the tail housing. and with all that power and torque you never hear of a bellhousing failure because of not having mid engine mount. Yet every time someone mentions mounting a small block chevy in that manner the doom merchants claim it will fail? I got a couple of nailhead engines. one a 322 has a offenhauser adapter to a ford large bell flathead ngines 005.JPG ngines 003.JPG trans. The other a 401 has wieand valve covers and wieand dual 4 intake and try Y hedders. It has a adapter to a lasalle trans.

biggeorge likes this.
  8. Sixhundred sixteen

Sixhundred sixteen
    from Utah

This thread is new to me; just now saw it. That said, I've been running a 401 in my '36 ( pic at the left ) since 1965; no complaints. The nailhead gurus at C.A.R. & Nailhead Buick ( Russ & Matt ) have stated that the 401 is preferable to a 425. They also prefer to use a 364 in older cars with narrow radiators since the 401 tends to run a bit warm. From what I've read from them I believe the 364 is their overall favorite.

desertdroog likes this.